When did voice chat come in Second Life?

I heard that voice chat was always in Second Life in the beginning of launch. But I heard that Linden Labs couldn't get it working back then. Is this true or not true? Would anyone know the actual date when voice chat came into Second Life?

Edited by Guku Aabye

2 hours ago, Guku Aabye said:

I heard that voice chat was always in Second Life in the beginning of launch. But I heard that Linden Labs couldn't get it working back then. Is this true or not true? Would anyone know the actual date when voice chat came into Second Life?

I can't rememeber exactly but it was a sad day for a ton of people catfishing in sl. 

• Haha 5

To check my memory, I poked around and found that there is a document in the JIRA dated September 20, 2007 that apparently contains the documentation for Vivox - SL Voice.  That fits my recollection that Voice became available within months after I joined in early 2007.  I'm sure there are other historical trails to follow, but that's the best I've found so far.  My guess is that Torley's tutorial video was probably put together over the following months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

To check my memory, I poked around and found that there is a document in the JIRA dated September 20, 2007 that apparently contains the documentation for Vivox - SL Voice.  That fits my recollection that Voice became available within months after I joined in early 2007.  I'm sure there are other historical trails to follow, but that's the best I've found so far.  My guess is that Torley's tutorial video was probably put together over the following months.

Oh ok. TY

The first voice viewer was v1.18.2.0.

Looking at my archives (*), LL's sources timestamp for this viewer version is 10 August 2007. Since sources were released together with the binaries, the latter have likely been released on this day.

(*) I was already developing my private viewer builds based on LL's sources with a set of individual patches added.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

The first voice viewer was v1.18.2.0.

Looking at my archives (*), LL's sources timestamp for this viewer version is 10 August 2007. Since sources were released together with the binaries, the latter have likely been released on this day.

(*) I was already developing my private viewer builds based on LL's sources with a set of individual patches added.

TY

On 2/25/2024 at 4:21 PM, Guku Aabye said:

If was most definitely not at the very beginning in 2004-2005.

They began developing it later -- I believe by 2006 when they began to feel the pressure of all those businesses and people who hate to type -- and yes, like all things, it didn't work so well at the beginning. It was a third party which they may have bought out, not sure.

There was a very bright highschool boy named Jesse who worked on the beta testing of it, who sadly was killed in a RL car accident. And Joe Linden, who I used to call the only adult in the room as he was an older man, supervised Voice but he died in RL of a natural causes.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:21 PM, Guku Aabye said:

Voice was introduced in 2007 and it wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms, there were concerns that it would kill roleplaying, for example.