Looking for participants for a graduate study on the utilization of virtual world among autism communities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, I am a current doctoral candidate at Pacific University. I am genuinely curious about the utilization of the virtual world (specifically in Second Life) among autism spectrum disorder communities. I am wondering if there are any support groups I can contact to recruit participants for my study. I appreciate any help in advance. Also, I would appreciate any insight into such a topic. Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, matthewmc730 said:

Hello everyone, I am a current doctoral candidate at Pacific University. I am genuinely curious about the utilization of the virtual world (specifically in Second Life) among autism spectrum disorder communities. I am wondering if there are any support groups I can contact to recruit participants for my study. I appreciate any help in advance. Also, I would appreciate any insight into such a topic. Thank you so much!

You might consider looking into Virtual Ability in-world. It's a very long standing and well known community: I'd think they might be able assist.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, matthewmc730 said:

What is your motivation for doing this study? It could be helpful to say if you are autistic yourself.

• Like 2

I think it likely that many residents who are on the, especially deeper end of the, spectrum, just happily go about doing their things, whatever they are, in SL, and not in groups or communties geared towards people on the spectrum, maybe rather in building groups, or some other group that's about their field of interest.

Just a small thought to keep in mind, for the bigger picture, though; of course, it should be easier to find some who are in groups, than to stumble over those who aren't, by happenstance while exploring SL for but a short while, up on their building platforms or other preferred places, or to recognise them if spotted out in the wild. Good luck with your study!

• Like 6

The original poster "came to the right place" because social virtual worlds might have special appeal and utility for people on the spectrum, or at least so I've suspected for a long time. I for one would be very interested in anything the OP finds, including any relevant research ongoing or completed in SL.

(Unfortunately I don't know any better lead than @Scylla Rhiadra already suggested with Virtual Ability. Perhaps @Strawberry Linden may have come across an autism or other neurodiversity researcher in her vast network of contacts.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The original poster "came to the right place" because social virtual worlds might have special appeal and utility for people on the spectrum, or at least so I've suspected for a long time. I for one would be very interested in anything the OP finds, including any relevant research ongoing or completed in SL.

(Unfortunately I don't know any better lead than @Scylla Rhiadra already suggested with Virtual Ability. Perhaps @Strawberry Linden may have come across an autism or other neurodiversity researcher in her vast network of contacts.)

Agreed! 

• Like 2

• Moles

It would be best if folks stick to the topic 

17 hours ago, matthewmc730 said:

and refrained from a wider discussion of autism and the propriety or otherwise of trying to make jokes about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

It would be best if folks stick to the topic 

and refrained from a wider discussion of autism and the propriety or otherwise of trying to make jokes about it.

Maybe best if SL labels these sort of threads as Announcements then, rather than Topics. Announcements would be less prone to a discussion. Of course post reporters I suppose could come up with various justifications for shutting down any post they feel offended by but at least the rest of us would be less likely to contribute to a thread considered an Announcement.

I have autism, personally I am not in any support groups because 1) I haven't really looked, and 2) I am very particular on which support groups I join, as often (not exclusive to SL), support groups may have secondary requirements where as it may say "Autism support group" but then "But only if you are also X", and I try to avoid secondary requirement support groups unless someone from inside vouches for it to me.

However, I'd be more than happy to participate in your study! Second Life has been of great value to me, especially so because of how I experience Autism. I'd love to share how Second Life has benefited me!

You can contact me in-world as "Chaser Zaks", or by pasting "secondlife:///app/agent/796b1537-70d8-497d-934e-0abcc2a60050/im" in the in-world chat and clicking it.

Please note I may not always be available, because I tend to keep my avatar logged in at all times, but I will answer once I have a chance. :)

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I know I'm way happier with SL in my life.

*is autistic asf*

So, yeah.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I know I'm way happier with SL in my life.

*is autistic asf*

So, yeah.

Ya same but I do sometimes wonder if it doesn't take up too much of my time. A support group would be good imo for the help it could afford in motivating oneself to use it as a tool to benefit vs allowing oneself get sidetracked into more chaos.

• Like 1

I am in the process of diagnosis because women are very poorly identified in my country, and it has taken many wanderings and difficulties addressed in the real world, as well as a realization to understand the missing piece of the puzzle, because obviously, I have reached an age where it is increasingly difficult to hide everything surrounding autism (hypersensitivity and the rest). Eventually, I landed somewhat accidentally on SL in 2014 (because of reruns of detective series that talked about it, can you believe it? XD), and far from being bothered by the 'bad image' around sex etc., I mainly discovered a world without limits, which evolves but slowly, encourages creativity, and allows me to chat with people from all over the world that I would never have met otherwise, even if it sometimes requires staying up all night because of the time difference. It helped me improve certain skills, better understand cultures, and pursue my interests without seeming to, such as English, getting interested in 3D modeling, building, and of course custom avatars, decorating, exploring, and having fun with vehicles, etc. SL is for me a breath of fresh air where I frequently return and which I can miss even if I take long breaks because it's like putting my brain on vacation when I need everything to be easier and more entertaining, and then coming back mentally refreshed. Socializing is not easier than in real life. Even participating in events like concerts, exhibitions, etc., does not lead to much socializing on SL, but at least, the crowd doesn't bother me here (except for lag), and I just have to click buttons if people make too much noise, or simply leave without really having to explain myself. I mainly engage in my activities according to my desires, and I am often alone. I have never sought to join any autism-related group, even though today I wonder if other affected individuals also find it beneficial. Am I convinced that SL can help with visible and invisible disabilities, neurodivergence, etc. ? Obviously yes, and it would be a long debate on which I would need to find the right words in a language that is not mine, and with a lot of online translation... 

However, I am still willing to discuss it online solely in written form, as it is also a topic that interests me now that I understand my journey better, and why SL is part of 'my interests' because it's a bit like a Russian doll, it includes or motivates several others.

Edited by Anaryane
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Anaryane said:

Am I convinced that SL can help with visible and invisible disabilities, neurodivergence, etc.

I agree to a point.  SL provides a neutral, mostly level meeting ground for all kinds of different people.  Unless someone tells me they have physical or invisible differences,  I would never know from surface looks.  I might figure it out over time as I get to know another avatar's driver, but I love the variety of personalities and communication styles I run into inworld.  

I am glad you found a place where you can let your mind relax.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Spelling
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.