Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why does it matter to you if there is a change, especially one that gives you a choice? 

Exactly.  It's a choice . Not something that anyone is forced to participate. But Ohno, it'll enable us suspicious deviants to do suspicious deviant things !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Sorry if I didn't clarify . That's who I want to avoid me . The people who think it's suspicious for me to enjoy privacy p:.

They only have an issue when it is your privacy. When it is a feature change that involves their own privacy they will whine through multiple threads complaining they are not getting it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

That being said I kind of understand why the OP wants to appear younger, but it's wrong to catfish people.

The most important safeguard for anything involving identity, security of emotion, or fear of being taken for a fool (or all your money) is, I think, to always remember it's SL.

Once you actually get that SL has pitfalls like that, and learn to avoid getting into them, it's all way easier to enjoy. Any magical land where we can be anything we want means I'm sure asf not going to take anyone's word for anything, outside the context of amusing conversation and imaginative fun.

• Like 4

Filing a Jira for this kind of feature request is an exercise in futility.  We hear many stories of people who don't bother with reading profiles as demonstrated by a/s/l and other types of questions when they could've easily found answers to their questions by reading profiles.

Non-readers had become so commonplace that my alts have only this line in their profiles: "Nobody reads these things anyway."

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why does it matter to you if there is a change, especially one that gives you a choice? 

Because there are far better things for LL to be doing than addressing a non issue for 99% of residents?  Like your inventory issues?  Marketplace issues?  Group chat issue?  You know, the things that do concern that 99%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Because there are far better things for LL to be doing than addressing a non issue for 99% of residents?  Like your inventory issues?  Marketplace issues?  Group chat issue?  You know, the things that do concern that 99%.

We must never ask for anything outside of technical issues ~

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Non-readers had become so commonplace that my alts have only this line in their profiles: "Nobody reads these things anyway."

OMG! That was YOU~!

*waves* o/

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Midnoot said:

That being said, having profile information such as account age hidden, only expedites the process of me eliminating those who require irrelevant information in order to be friends.

Tells me everything I need to know. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I read both rl and sl tabs of the profile, I check account age, read picks, and look at groups.  I gather as much info as I can before reaching out to someone in IM.  It gives me something to start a conversation with.

Guess who I don't reach out to at all.  Empty profiles.

Maybe that's what a person wants?  No one talking to them?  They don't want "that type" or "those people" to IM about anything.  

You can turn off IMs from anyone not a friend in preferences in Firestorm, I believe.  At least I think I saw that option.  You certainly can turn off seeing anyone but friends.

• Like 3

As someone used to say "I don't agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Why has someone's suggestion of a feature made people riled up? Why do people automatically think the worst of people, assuming it is for a shady reason? I don't understand people's obsession with assumptions, or people thinking they know a person through one interaction on a forum.

I agree that there are things that should be prioritized, but I'm pretty sure Linden labs has a road map or a list of features or bug fixes that they are working on, just because someone is suggesting a feature that they would like doesn't mean that it will change anything, a suggestion doesn't hurt anyone.

In my opinion anything on the profile should have an option to be shown or hidden, or in general the profile should be more customizable. I personally do not care if people know what date my account was made, but I also understand that not everyone wants to share everything. It doesn't matter if you personally would not interact with someone who hides their account age, I assume that it doesn't matter for said person doing so, as long as they have the ability to do so and feel safer that way.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PixelBerry said:

As someone used to say "I don't agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Why has someone's suggestion of a feature made people riled up? Why do people automatically think the worst of people, assuming it is for a shady reason? I don't understand people's obsession with assumptions, or people thinking they know a person through one interaction on a forum.

I agree that there are things that should be prioritized, but I'm pretty sure Linden labs has a road map or a list of features or bug fixes that they are working on, just because someone is suggesting a feature that they would like doesn't mean that it will change anything, a suggestion doesn't hurt anyone.

In my opinion anything on the profile should have an option to be shown or hidden, or in general the profile should be more customizable. I personally do not care if people know what date my account was made, but I also understand that not everyone wants to share everything. It doesn't matter if you personally would not interact with someone who hides their account age, I assume that it doesn't matter for said person doing so, as long as they have the ability to do so and feel safer that way.

It's because I offended some of them , lol. As Persephone said somewhere , they will disagree purely due to the way I've conducted myself . That's also fine :,D. Would avoid tf  out of people who demand a certain level of etiquette just to discuss a topic without bias . Lolol

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

It's because I offended some of them , lol. As Persephone said somewhere , they will disagree purely due to the way I've conducted myself . That's also fine :,D. Would avoid tf  out of people who demand a certain level of etiquette just to discuss a topic without bias . Lolol

I didn't say that. 🙄

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Not until every performance issue ever encountered is fixed >:c!

32 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Oh sorry,  meant to say only the things that majority vote has asked for .

Comments like these are unnecessary and could be perceived as passive-aggressive. You're free to express yourself in any way you please, but people will react to it.

It's simple. An idea was presented, some liked it, and that's fair enough. But most found it unnecessary, useless or potentially bad after considering it. 18 pages into this thread and I still haven't been able to understand one thing: Why don't people who have issues with their accounts being old just make a new alt? Sure, costs a bit to set it up with a good-looking mesh avatar. But the account itself is free, and to create one is significantly easier than to convince a huge group of users, who mostly have no issues at all or are proud of their rez dates, to support your idea to hide the account age.

Even if this ludicrous idea was somehow implemented as a feature, people would likely still be able to find out one's account age, hidden or otherwise, through scripts if they were curious enough.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the only reason this thread was ever created was to cause controversy. Sure, its entertaining, but at the end of the day it's pointless.

Edited by Clem Marques
Grammar
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Would avoid tf  out of people who demand a certain level of etiquette just to discuss a topic without bias . Lolol

That's usually enough to stop me wanting to bother. People who think having common courtesy is stupid. It's like people who put on a boozhy elite attitude while boasting about how trashy they are, like it makes them better than everyone else.

It usually indicates an inferiority complex, and that makes me sad for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

Comments like these are unnecessary and could be perceived as passive-aggressive. You're free to express yourself in any way you please, but people will react to it.

It's simple. An idea was presented, some liked it, and that's fair enough. But most found it unnecessary, useless or potentially bad after considering it. 18 pages into this thread and I still haven't been able to understand one thing: Why don't people who have issues with their accounts being old just make a new alt? Sure, costs a bit to set it up with a good-looking mesh avatar. But the account itself is free, and to create one is significantly easier than to convince a huge group of users, who mostly have no issues at all or are proud of their rez dates, to support your idea to hide the account age.

Even if this ludicrous idea was somehow implemented as a feature, people would likely still be able to find out one's account age, hidden or otherwise, through scripts if they were curious enough.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the only reason this thread was ever created was to cause controversy. Sure, its entertaining, but at the end of the day it's pointless.

I just wanna hide my account age °`°

Just now, Midnoot said:

I just wanna hide my account age °`°

Step 1: Make an army of alts.

Step 2: Get them all going on Premius Plus Platinum Platypus accounts.

Step 3: Have all of them file support tickets on the same day (not on the weekend), from different IP addresses, and from different machines with different HDD IDs.

Step 4: ?????

Step 5: PROFIT!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

That's usually enough to stop me wanting to bother. People who think having common courtesy is stupid. It's like people who put on a boozhy elite attitude while boasting about how trashy they are, like it makes them better than everyone else.

It usually indicates an inferiority complex, and that makes me sad for them.

I agree with you on this.

Common courtesy and respect should be the bare minimum, even if one disagrees with the other person. When it's not there, might as well end the conversation.

If someone treats others poorly, they shouldn't expect anything other than to get the same treatment. Either that or silence.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

I agree with you on this.

Common courtesy and respect should be the bare minimum, even if one disagrees with the other person. When it's not there, might as well end the conversation.

If someone treats others poorly, they shouldn't expect anything other than to get the same treatment. Either that or silence.

So uh.. where that silence at ? °`°

28 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

Why don't people who have issues with their accounts being old just make a new alt?

This is how Midnoot feels about alts.  Even though he made an alt to talk on the forum.  This is why he won't make an alt.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:05 PM, Midnoot said:

Instead of spreading my essence across second life like voldemort's horcruxes, i'mma stick to the one account. Easier to keep up with, not as much explaining to do to my friends, less deception, etc. I know most of second life feels no obligation to alert their friends of their secret presence on an alt, but to me, it feels dirty :p.

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Step 1: Make an army of alts.

Step 2: Get them all going on Premius Plus Platinum Platypus accounts.

Step 3: Have all of them file support tickets on the same day (not on the weekend), from different IP addresses, and from different machines with different HDD IDs.

Step 4: ?????

Step 5: PROFIT!

I might 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.