I’m scared are you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I like to watch the funny videos on YouTube of people on second life playing pranks on people. And I’ve heard a couple of times someone saying that they were going to take that persons “avatar key” and trace them down. I asked someone about this and they told me they knew how to take the “key” and find my address right to my doorstep? Is this all true? So are we walking around completely exposed to whoever wants to grab our “key” which is clearly displayed on our profile, and grab all of our personal information??

4 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

So I like to watch the funny videos on YouTube of people on second life playing pranks on people. And I’ve heard a couple of times someone saying that they were going to take that persons “avatar key” and trace them down. I asked someone about this and they told me they knew how to take the “key” and find my address right to my doorstep? Is this all true? So are we walking around completely exposed to whoever wants to grab our “key” which is clearly displayed on our profile, and grab all of our personal information??

The only way someone could track you to your RL front door is, if you somehow tied your SL account to your RL and led them there in some path.

like having a link in your profile to an outside account  somewhere else that had your actual home address on it or something like that..

The only way they can get your RL information in SL is if you give it to them.

• Like 4

One time my friend gave me his ip address so i can look it up.  It gave us an image right to his RL house ... freaked us right out.  So if they can get your ip address for eg DJ's or if you play there media or touch there website it is quite possible they have your RL address.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Legacy mesh body requires everyone leave media on, so all they have to do is play some media in the sandbox (or a public place) to get your ip adress if you wear legacy. 

If you got my IP, it would point to a town 30 minutes away from me.

Wifi triangulation is usually how they can pinpoint down to the nearest meter.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If you got my IP, it would point to a town 30 minutes away from me.

Wifi triangulation is usually how they can pinpoint down to the nearest meter.

Yeah, I would think it would be unlikely in the vast majority of cases to pinpoint a persons home.  Mine only pinpoints my town right occasionally, sometimes it's across to the other end of the country.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I believe it's just the HUD that uses media and not the Legacy body itself and so people can just not wear that when going around.

It's been awhile since I used Legacy but isn't it just the Style section that needs media enabled?  Pretty sure I used the other sections without having it on.  Of course, I never run around with any body HUD attached.

• Like 5

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

It's been awhile since I used Legacy but isn't it just the Style section that needs media enabled?  Pretty sure I used the other sections without having it on.  Of course, I never run around with any body HUD attached.

That's what I heard as well.  I don't have one myself to verify but this is what has been discussed previously.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

What about all the people who took time to work out they needed media on to make their body go then forgot to turn it off.

Well, in that case, they will leak their IP address when they move around SL and parcel media plays.  The IP address by itself isn't always enough to identify the account though.  If several people arrive very closely together, the software gathering IP addresses cannot tell which account is which.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

I asked someone about this and they told me they knew how to take the “key” and find my address right to my doorstep? Is this all true?

This is total bullsh*t. There is no publicly available link whatsoever between the avatar key (which is a randomly generated UUID that got created when you registered the avatar) and your RL home location.

However: like any other service on Internet, people can try and grab your IP via various means. When they do not have access to the servers (which would be the case for anyone without admin privilege on SL servers), they can do so by tricking you into connecting with your computer to a server they own or have admin access to. In SL, this can be done via music streams and parcel or shared media; if they set an URL for those that point to their server, they can correlate your avatar arrival time on, and departure time from their parcel with the IP of people connecting to their server, via the server logs. To defeat such attempts, you can use a viewer with a proper ”media filter” feature: those viewers will present you with a permission dialog every time they get a request to connect to a media server (music streams, parcel and shared media alike) and you would then be in the position to make an informed choice about whether or not you grant permission to connect... Another trick would be to send an URL in IM to you (this could be sent by one of their scripts too) to a server they own/have access to, and then see what IP is connecting on the said server.

Also: Be careful about what info you give up in your profile. It might sound obvious, but some people can give up a lot of details that are even more significant than their IP to try and spot their RL location. Of course, giving an URL to a server you are running at home (on your own server) in your profile would instantly give up your IP too...

As for correlating your IP to your RL home location, it is not even possible in many cases: you can perfectly disable IPv6 on your computer to avoid connecting to music streams, and parcel or shared media servers via IPv6 (when your ISP provides one, it is normally attributed to you for as long as you keep using this ISP services). It then usually makes things much more difficult for people trying to track you, because most of the time your IPv4 IP is attributed randomly (and each time you restart your ISP box/router at home) from a pool your ISP owns and uses for all its customers, the said IPs not pointing to anyone's address in particular, but just to a town where your ISP got its Internet-facing router. Even with static IPv4s (some ISPs still can provide those to you on your demand, for free or as a paying option), and given ISPs are all migrating to IPv6, it is likely that your static IP (v4) will actually be one of those old pools of dynamically-allocated IPs, and routed (via IPv6-encapsulated IPv4 traffic) to, here again, a public facing router that is not even in your own town/city, but simply where your ISP got all its routers...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Legacy mesh body requires everyone leave media on, so all they have to do is play some media in the sandbox (or a public place) to get your ip adress if you wear legacy. 

It absolutely does not requre media on to be enabled, especially after 1.5+ update after they added the chat commands. You can enable BoM with said chat command and forget this media section exists. Alpha and tab with materials/hand poses never needed media in the first place. Speaking from experience, I have media, voice and sounds disabled in SL pretty much since joinining in 2012.

But yeah, it's not different from media streams that are all over the place. IP address they'd get would be one from the pool of my ISP with 1.5m total (it's a big ISP) IPs. I'm around 2k kms away from our capital and my IP points there currently, just like the rest of those 1.5m IPs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

I asked someone about this and they told me they knew how to take the “key”

Fun fact, open anyone's profile in Firestorm and their "key" is right there, right above their profile picture, in your face. They will be able to find out where your house lives based on your SL key just as well as they can, based on your SL hair color. Consider anyone who makes such a claim a potential troll and take anything else they say with a big grain of salt.

I had a conversation with someone once who claimed the knew how to spoof someone's key, thereby allowing them to use any scripted object that is set to "owner-only". I started to doubt their credibility then, but then they started talking about quantum-computing in relation to Second Life, I knew they were totally full of **** and the conversation ended there. Unfortunately, there are just people out there like that.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Why would you have to have media on if you are wearing a legacy body?

And, what would happen if you turned it off?

I must be weird, if I bought a body that required that, id be like eff that sh*t.

😂

33 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why would you have to have media on if you are wearing a legacy body?

And, what would happen if you turned it off?

I must be weird, if I bought a body that required that, id be like eff that sh*t.

😂

They finally made it where you can do the things that required media in the hud, with chat commands now..

Before, you could just set a body up at your home and then make copies of it and not have to use that part of the hud again.. It was silly really and probably impacted their sales a bit..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

But yeah, it's not different from media streams that are all over the place. IP address they'd get would be one from the pool of my ISP with 1.5m total (it's a big ISP) IPs. I'm around 2k kms away from our capital and my IP points there currently, just like the rest of those 1.5m IPs.

This.
Best they can get is the public IP address which nowadays is NOT the real IP address that connects directly to you but rather the one your ISP provides. A restart of your router or server maintenance from their side often leads to change.

2 hours ago, Benson Gravois said:

image.png.fbadcc8a728957bdd383f046a5feedca.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

Best they can get is the public IP address which nowadays is NOT the real IP address that connects directly to you but rather the one your ISP provides. A restart of your router or server maintenance from their side often leads to change.

See my post above: this is not always the case.

First, IPv6 IPs are normally, when provided by your ISP, ”life-time” ones (i.e. they stay affected to you for as long as you stay with this ISP); they usually come as a (very large) block of IPs so that every device on your local network can get one affected to it. Granted, IPv6 is not used by SL, but it may be used by the media servers which URL is transmitted by SL contents or scripts, so those servers can see your IPv6 when you have one.

Second, with some ISPs, you may ask for a static IPv4 (useful if your run your own server(s) at home). In this case, your IP is also always the same until you change your ISP.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.