What is the split of SL users between RL Nations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh yeah, top five, eh!

/me puts on toque and struts around my igloo singing Rush songs out loud playing air guitar on a hockey stick while eating TimBits.

My uncle has a country place
that no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm
before the motor law ... Sing it!!!!

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

This is the visitor count by country data to the website secondlife.com, not the traffic of AWS cloud servers that run the actual simulators. There may be a correlation, but then again, there may not be. Worse, the majority of secondlife.com visitors may be people who never have signed up for an account at all. In addition, there's many times more search engine bots and data harvesting bots (ironically, including ones used by similarweb.com), hacking scripts, etc. out there than actual people, and many of these bots use user-agent headers that are indistinguishable from those from actual people's browsers.

Also...

image.thumb.png.50816fae942259b92b5895e32a0556ba.png

Were the bleep did these similarweb people get the data about gender and age distribution? (Possible answer: inferred from all of your spied upon browsing behaviors.)

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Oh yeah, top five, eh!

/me puts on toque and struts around my igloo singing Rush songs out loud playing air guitar on a hockey stick while eating TimBits.

My uncle has a country place
that no on knows about.
He says it used to be a farm
before the motor law ... Sing it!!!!

You could play beer hunter.

Take off eh?

😁

29 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This is the visitor count by country data to the website secondlife.com, not the traffic of AWS cloud servers that run the actual simulators.

To use SL, the noobie visits the SL.com website to download the viewer.  You might then choose to use a third-party alternative viewer afterwards, but I would assume that the noobie knows zero about third-party viewers when initially becoming interested in SL.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Were the bleep did these similarweb people get the data about gender and age distribution? (Possible answer: inferred from all of your spied upon browsing behaviors.)

I guess it's a complement they think we are younger?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

To use SL, the noobie visits the SL.com website to download the viewer.  You might then choose to use a third-party alternative viewer afterwards, but I would assume that the noobie knows zero about third-party viewers when initially becoming interested in SL.

So basically, at best, those sh*te-tech figures represent the potential noobs visiting the website, and have sod all to do with the actual demographics of SL.

Grid survey had numbers on this once didn't they, numbers that said 30% USA, and had a slight majority of SL from UK/EU.

Perhaps more relevant is the daily concurrency graph, where the busiest time is noon slt to 6 slt,, that is, EU/UK/Eastern US overlap.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If you use social media at all, or the Internet generally with a browser or app, and that sort of socio-economic and demographic data is dead simple to figure out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This is the visitor count by country data to the website secondlife.com, not the traffic of AWS cloud servers that run the actual simulators. There may be a correlation, but then again, there may not be. Worse, the majority of secondlife.com visitors may be people who never have signed up for an account at all. In addition, there's many times more search engine bots and data harvesting bots (ironically, including ones used by similarweb.com), hacking scripts, etc. out there than actual people, and many of these bots use user-agent headers that are indistinguishable from those from actual people's browsers.

Also...

Since people have always claimed most female avatars in SL are piloted by men, it would stand to reason, using that flawed assumption, that there ARE more males using SL.  Every place you go is populated by more females than males.  🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

So basically, at best, those sh*te-tech figures represent the potential noobs visiting the website, and have sod all to do with the actual demographics of SL.

Grid survey had numbers on this once didn't they, numbers that said 30% USA, and had a slight majority of SL from UK/EU.

Perhaps more relevant is the daily concurrency graph, where the busiest time is noon slt to 6 slt,, that is, EU/UK/Eastern US overlap.

Tyche did but she dropped the concurrency numbers long ago because LL stopped publishing the info.

Her last known post to VVO: New SL Regions in the Past week | VirtualVerse One Forums

I don't know if she still posts to Xwitter or not. @tychesheperd

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

At least we now know why Linden Homes houses and regions look so obviously American, even when they're given non-American theme names... 😜

What do you consider an American house?  It's only been a country for a few hundred years. Almost everything built is inspired by somewhere else with the exception of anything inspired by First Nations, of course. 

Are you talking about planned company-town housing?

It's not like there are centuries and centuries of traditional housing to choose from.

ETA its not like theme prurists will decorate with anything but modern furniture anyway. 

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

At least we now know why Linden Homes houses and regions look so obviously American, even when they're given non-American theme names... 😜

The entire premise of Bellisseria -- detached homes in what is generally essentially a middle class suburban subdivision -- is a representation of one of the more prevalent American cultural myths since at least the 40s and 50s. Even the fantasy offerings reflect that: Elven suburbia.

I find it pretty arid myself, as much as I like the community aspect. LL would do well to look at some other residential models: urban, for instance, or small town or village. I think something modeled on Japanese residential areas would be pretty popular for instance. And I'd be seriously interested in something that reflected non-North American or European paradigms.

It's odd that they don't, given the international flavour of SL. As it is, the "official SL culture" is a bit dull, constrained, and predictable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

What do you consider an American house?  It's only been a country for a few hundred years. Almost everything built is inspired by somewhere else with the exception of anything inspired by First Nations, of course. 

Are you talking about planned company-town housing?

It's not like there are centuries and centuries of traditional housing to choose from.

ETA its not like theme prurists will decorate with anything but modern furniture anyway. 

There are distinctive housing styles and residential layouts that are visually quite different from North American subdivisions.

For instance, Japanese:

pngtree-japanese-town-with-trees-and-gre

Or West African:

stock-photo-residential-area-in-west-afr

In fact, even British subdivisions look different from American ones.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are distinctive housing styles and residential layouts that are visually quite different from North American subdivisions.

For instance, Japanese:

pngtree-japanese-town-with-trees-and-gre

Or West African:

stock-photo-residential-area-in-west-afr

In fact, even British subdivisions look different from American ones.

I wonder how many SL users would choose housing like that - grubby, packed in, garbage around, roads too narrow to navigate.  People should think about what they ask for in SL.  The Lindens have mentioned several reasons why high density housing won't work for Bellisseria.  They also mentioned several times that themes should be considered "inspired by" not exact replicas of each of the housing styles.

Even theme purists would argue amongst themselves about what themed housing should look like.  One look in the Land section after a new release will show that even people who claim to know housing styles argue vehemently about what they think each theme should have looked like.  They then run out and get 5 houses to decorate. 

Of course we are all from different places.  That's the biggest draw for me.  Those with a vision should buy mainland and make their version of a traditional theme.

Also, I agree that everyone in SL is probably Dutch. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Also, I agree that everyone in SL is probably Dutch. 

I can glean some logic in this:

Dutch -> Amsterdam -> "Red Light District" -> SL is just one big "Red Light District", so "Most Everyone" in SL is a "service provider" or "customer".

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.