Only people who remember Sion Chickens can post in this thread.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I doooo... I recently (as in a few years ago) bought more and kept them around a while and had fun setting up a mesh-filled area for them.   It was such a stark contrast. I missed the clucking clatter. 

... back soon,  need wee fuzzy chicks in my life again.  

• Haha 1

They were pretty innovative for their day, by Second Life standards at least. In the way communities and marketplaces sprouted up around them too, it was somewhat of a precursor, for both better and worse.

As far as region performance with those went, I think adjustments were made and LL made them a bit more stable and smoother, as much as they could. They always needed these kind of promptings. Linden Lab came out with their Patterns multiplayer physics game as well, and it's now been nearly a decade since they pulled the plug on that. On occasion there's more to these things than just manufacturing product and hooks. Old times.

Edited by Ineffable Mote

I personally have never understood the attraction of breedables, but hey, I applaud the people who discovered that there was a business model there! More power to them. Grab that coin, girl!! 💰💰💰

What I find amusing is all the places that sell breedables like KittyCats and such. I wonder how many of them actually make money off of it (as opposed to just enjoying them as pets).

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 4

Don't get me started on this particular nostalgia trip. The person who invented Sion chickens must have made a mint on the food etc., that we needed to buy to maintain these creatures. Our first chicken to hatch was called Mobit after a sandbox that we spent many a happy hour in listening to "Hold Me Now" by the Thompson Twins on repeat play. When it inevitably died we even made a grave for it! But then we discovered that some Sion chickens could be saved with some type of revival kit.

We stupidly bred far too many green ones - albeit different shades of green - so made the hard decision to cull them. Virtual chickens, but the cost (and emotions) were real!

Interesting blog on Word Press about them, and the creator being an "evil genius"!

https://nikadreamscape.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/sion-zaius-is-an-evil-genius/

We managed to hatch a black one one time, but they never survived for very long. Clever scripting. Very addictive.

temp laugh.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

When they were first released, if sat on them they would die after a short time. I don't know if that was a bug in the code or intended behavior, but they croaked.

They all would fall asleep, head in wings, at the same time, but if you bumped into one it would wake up, and that would weaken it and cause it to die! 

We had some on a sky platform and some went missing, only to be found at ground level, starving hungry! 

Crazily addictive.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

I don't know if that was a bug in the code or intended behavior, but they croaked.

I don't think it was a bug. But that they could/would die introduced something generative, at least something resembling life in 3d, to the grid. Not certain that was so explicitly the creator's intent, it was a long time ago, but it was interesting and experimental either way.

I never had the impression that he was simply in it to make bank - with breedables more generally, I think that came later with the horses. That's where it all went infernal (IMO, of course). I remember auctioning a few of my "better" eggs, they would get bids up to 20k L$ which I genuinely thought was pretty nuts at the time.

Edited by Ineffable Mote
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

What I find amusing is all the places that sell breedables like KittyCats and such. I wonder how many of them actually make money off of it (as opposed to just enjoying them as pets).

I have some KittyCats and PlantPets now. Selling kitten boxes can cover the food costs, though it does take some understanding of what cats are likely to sell. The plants have no ongoing costs (watering them is free), so making back the cost of buying them doesn't take much. It's not get rich quick, but it's a hobby that can pay for itself. I'm dubious about the systems where babies are born live, because it seems like everyone's frantically trying to sell to keep the food costs down and before they age out of breeding.

I didn't keep the chickens, because I wouldn't consider a game where the breedables can die. My only encounter was someone trying to run a farm on the same mainland region. The chickens had all died, but they were non-phantom and still twitching constantly, creating constant physics collisions. Fun times for the region performance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:32 AM, Firefly Inventor said:

I doooo... I recently (as in a few years ago) bought more and kept them around a while and had fun setting up a mesh-filled area for them.   It was such a stark contrast. I missed the clucking clatter. 

... back soon,  need wee fuzzy chicks in my life again.  

They aren't disabled? I thought she removed food for them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.