About "LookAt" targets

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have Show LookAt on. I turn off showing my LookAt to me. But I like seeing everyone else's LookAt. It can be a heads-up for who is going to hit on me. Often my LookAt on them is a conversation starter. If people are upset by my perving them then... life is tough. Buy a helmet.

Most older residents seem to have their LookAt for others turned off and I can't see them. Only occasionally do I see someone's LookAt crosshair floating around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I always imagined the look at feature would be an amazing tool that exposed all the voyeurs and perverts in SL but it ended up being a huge disappointment. It definitely needs improvement. Maybe an arrow that goes from an avatar's eyes to the place they are looking at. I haven't tried it in years.

I also turn off all names. In SL, you are essentially in a world full of strangers and not knowing the names of people standing near you helps reinforce that feeling. 

• Like 3

Years ago, when we had Sunday breakfasts, I was sitting at a table where there were about half a dozen people sitting on the other side. Like @Persephone Emerald I'm nosey when people are around and I pointed at a girl on the other side. From there I moved my camera along the row to nosey the people. So my view/camera moved but my point at stayed where it was, which happened to be on a girl's boobs lol. The girl said that she knows what I'm looking at. I wasn't, but it didn't prevent me from being embarrassed. From her point of view I was staring at them :$. That's when I leaned about 'look at'.

Pointing and then moving the camera is the way I look around. I usually point somewhere near where I want to look around and then move the camera but, needless to say, I've had it turned it off since then.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I keep targets off for myself, on for others. I'm curious as to who is snooping who, and it often leads to me reading more profiles and checking out more avatars than I would without it. At the same time, I'd be mortified if someone saw me lingering on them and called me out on it.

But if they were to disappear tomorrow I wouldn't be very bothered. It's just one of those things that's there and I don't really know why it's there.

• Like 1

I may be confusing "LookAt targets" with something else..But:

When I logged in to use my neglected Alt (LoveXiaoying), I saw that her gaze follows whever I move my mouse.  How do I turn that off?  Is it the same thing (LookAt Targets), and I just didn't shut it off for LoveX yet?

(I have the "Advanced" menu "Show Lookat" options turned off for Love Zhaoying, and didn't notice his gaze following my mouse lately.)

Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When I logged in to use my neglected Alt (LoveXiaoying), I saw that her gaze follows whever I move my mouse.  How do I turn that off?  Is it the same thing (LookAt Targets), and I just didn't shut it off for LoveX yet?

(I have the "Advanced" menu "Show Lookat" options turned off for Love Zhaoying, and didn't notice his gaze following my mouse lately.)

Thanks!

That should be called "Dead Eyes Mode", I do hate the resulting appearance.  Looks like the person has backed away from their eyeballs.

There are two indicators.  One shows you where your camera is looking, in case you can't tell.  This is not ever sent to anyone else.

The other shows where your avatars eyes converge.  This is sent to others in the area and is responsible for telling their viewers what to point your eyes at so your avatar doesn't look like it's dead or stoned.  Turn this off and I ignore your avatar, because I don't interact with dead people.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

That should be called "Dead Eyes Mode", I do hate the resulting appearance.  Looks like the person has backed away from their eyeballs.

There are two indicators.  One shows you where your camera is looking, in case you can't tell.  This is not ever sent to anyone else.

The other shows where your avatars eyes converge.  This is sent to others in the area and is responsible for telling their viewers what to point your eyes at so your avatar doesn't look like it's dead or stoned.  Turn this off and I ignore your avatar, because I don't interact with dead people.  😉

It sounds like neither of those are related to "where my mouse is", correct? Unless moving my mouse around is moving my camera and I cannot tell..

Either way, I move my mouse to the left of my avatar, and my avatar looks left. I move my mouse to the right of my avatar, and my avatar looks right. I move my mouse towards the center of my avatar, and she has a fit then settles down to one side or the other. 

I basically want my avatar to stay in her current "pose", no matter where my mouse happens to be in the GUI.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks!

There is a way to turn that off.  I am not inworld to look at the viewer (and I use Firestorm)  There is a box to uncheck called "head follows mouse" or something similar.  Try typing "head"  into the search bar of the preferences window to narrow down your search results while looking for it.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There is a way to turn that off.  I am not inworld to look at the viewer (and I use Firestorm)  There is a box to uncheck called "head follows mouse" or something similar.  Try typing "head"  into the search bar of the preferences window to narrow down your search results while looking for it.

Thanks! I'll look for that later on LoveX and compare to my main avatar account LoveZ.

Some of this stuff, you turn off once and are good forever. Until you make an Alt.

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

This turned out to be the only answer I could find for the Official viewer. Thanks to @Rolig Loon!

In the Official viewer, the only answer I could find (from Rolig's answer below) was to go into Debug settings and change "PitchFromMousePosition" and "YawFromMousePosition".  It turned out that my main avatar (LoveZ) was doing this, but I somehow got used to it with him/me.  And it carries across sessions (I only had to change it for LoveZ, and it was changed already for LoveX).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This turned out to be the only answer I could find for the Official viewer. Thanks to @Rolig Loon!

In the Official viewer, the only answer I could find (from Rolig's answer below) was to go into Debug settings and change "PitchFromMousePosition" and "YawFromMousePosition".  It turned out that my main avatar (LoveZ) was doing this, but I somehow got used to it with him/me.  And it carries across sessions (I only had to change it for LoveZ, and it was changed already for LoveX).

The answer from 10 years ago!!!

/me hands Love a special award for forum search skills.

🏆🎖🌟

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what all stimuli are still active.  Avatar looks toward mouse is definitely still in there.  Another is avatar looks at speaking avatars and objects. Avatar looks at selected objects.   Some that were in there but seem to be missing now are avatar looks at colliding objects and avatar looks at touched objects.  Like the breathing motions and various body motions exhibited by an avatar not otherwise compelled to play animations, these were all implemented to mimic life.

18 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Im pretty sure if your ao is on, turning you head to follow the curser is overridden by the ao

22 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Im pretty sure if your ao is on, turning you head to follow the curser is overridden by the ao

Yeah it is in my experience.

If you're using the system eyes disabling this follow the cursor stuff does stop them moving around all over the place though. Of course very few people use system eyes.

There was also some talk of how this fixes the Genus eyes-all-over-the-place bug but I can't confirm if it is true.

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Yeah it is in my experience.

If you're using the system eyes disabling this follow the cursor stuff does stop them moving around all over the place though. Of course very few people use system eyes.

There was also some talk of how this fixes the Genus eyes-all-over-the-place bug but I can't confirm if it is true.

i use system eyes, they are the same eyes that i had my entire second life 😬

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.