I told you so.

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Considering how old SL is and how much out of date info or misinformation exists, how many opportunities have you had in SL to say "I told you so"?

Or do you find you hear that more than you get to say it?

Or is it bad form or otherwise impolite in your mind?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Considering how old SL is and how much out of date info or misinformation exists, how many opportunities have you had in SL to say "I told you so"?

Assuming this also applies to "on the Forums"...

Not sure I recall this scenario happening frequently in normal contexts.  Partly because, those who assert something based on misinformation don't usually seem to admit when they are wrong.

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Yes.  Quite often, "I told you so" - IMHO - is being said by someone in the "other role", who provided misinformation in the first place.  They may be asserting something without actually proof or consensus.

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Yes.  Exceptions include:

- "Winning" a heated argument (it can be hard to resist)

- Discussing "Trivia" / "History of SL", etc.  The winner of "Trivia" generally has a "right" to celebrate. ("Hah! In your face, loooooser!!!!")

- Advising someone along the lines of, "don't do that, you'll end up smashing your thumb with the hammer"!

Otherwise, it's not good form. People generally HATE being told "I told you so." It makes them even more resistant to taking advice.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Assuming this also applies to "on the Forums"...

If it applied to the forums, many opportunities to say it would break the rules.

So I'm certainly totally absolutely unreservedly not doing that at all. Wouldn't even think it.

24 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Saying "I told you so" is rude and immature.

Even petty and childish, you could say! Reserved for the kind of person that enjoys getting a reaction from people.

Good thing we don't have many of those types around here.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Not passive-aggressive enough for me. For occasions where using it would be appropriate, I prefer, "Imagine that...", drawn out to a luxurious length.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Even petty and childish, you could say! Reserved for the kind of person that enjoys getting a reaction from people.

When one talks or writes something, regardless where, one expects or at least hopes for a reaction. No?
Otherwise one could simply talk to a wall or the pint of beer in front of oneself.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

It usually happens when a mutant I had created escapes my SL laboratory and terrorizes the local residents.  Inevitably, someone goes on and on about how they told me it was a bad idea.  I try not to let it get me down though, I mean, eventually I'll be the one telling them I was was right, they were wrong, and I'll finally have something to open my lids for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

It usually happens when a mutant I had created escapes my SL laboratory and terrorizes the local residents.  Inevitably, someone goes on and on about how they told me it was a bad idea.  I try not to let it get me down though, I mean, eventually I'll be the one telling them I was was right, they were wrong, and I'll finally have something to open my lids for me.

If it were a zombie virus or something similar that got out because one didn't follow proper laboratory protocol, then I think someone else would be fully right to tell them "I told you so".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If it were a zombie virus or something similar that got out because one didn't follow proper laboratory protocol, then I think someone else would be fully right to tell them "I told you so".

I suppose in SL terms, I thought of an example:

User 1: "I received a link, it says "click here" then it asks for my user name and password."

User 2: "DON'T DO IT! It is a scam! You'll have your account hacked and all your L$ taken!"

User 1: *Does it anyway, account gets hacked, loses all L$*

User 2: "I told you so.."

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

There is no room for innovation in regulation though, "don't use human DNA",  "don't use corpses"..  "Don't connect the AI to the Internet"..  pfffft..   If it were up to the regulators, we would be stuck using abacuses.  Once I finally succeed in producing the ultimate jar lid opener, they'll all forget about those silly regulations, and be lining up for a trusty minion lid opener of their own.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

here is no room for innovation in regulation though, "don't use human DNA",  "don't use corpses"..  "Don't connect the AI to the Internet".. 

It really stinks! "Don't breathe asbestos", "don't make children work in coal mines", "don't kill people".

Regulations suck all the fun out of life!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

There is no room for innovation in regulation though, "don't use human DNA",  "don't use corpses"..  "Don't connect the AI to the Internet"..  pfffft..   If it were up to the regulators, we would be stuck using abacuses.  Once I finally succeed in producing the ultimate jar lid opener, they'll all forget about those silly regulations, and be lining up for a trusty minion lid opener of their own.

The solution is sooooo simple: Use cans only.
Voila, now you know who will be nominee for next years Nobel prize. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"don't make children work in coal mines"

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Regulations suck all the fun out of life!

Making kids working in coal mines isn't that much fun, it's too dark down there for you to really see the little swines suferring.for what they did to your door while "trick of treating".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"This belligerent back-and-forth is going to get this thread locked . . ."

*dust settles*

"Didn't see THAT coming!"

And in that case your reply will be: "I .... ... .." 
Perfectly on topic. Only in another thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I usually don't feel it's worth the time most times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"This belligerent back-and-forth is going to get this thread locked . . ."

*dust settles*

"Didn't see THAT coming!"

I've often seen statements similar to this, specifically "IBTL", as "jinxing" things.

So, since "I told you so" is more an "after the fact" statement, I guess we'd have to see how the advice was framed "BEFORE the thing happened" that triggered "I told you so".  (To see if "I told you so" was "warranted".)

I suppose a "modern" example of "front-loading" warnings you see a lot now is, "F around and find out".

"Dude, F around and you'll find out.."

* Dude finds out *

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

"I told you so!"

My internal voice screams it loudly fairly often.   I almost never say it or type it to someone, though.

Yes, it seems rude, gloating, and arrogant to say it.

If I give someone advice or a warning about what they are about to do and they do it anyway, I will simply sympathize with the outcome and ask them what they will try next.  Many people really do have to find out for themselves.  It's okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

"I told you so!"

My internal voice screams it loudly fairly often.   I almost never say it or type it to someone, though.

Yes, it seems rude, gloating, and arrogant to say it.

If I give someone advice or a warning about what they are about to do and they do it anyway, I will simply sympathize with the outcome and ask them what they will try next.  Many people really do have to find out for themselves.  It's okay.

Actually SAYING it seems like inviting bad karma; converting what could be a "good" thing (having given good advice) into a "bad" thing ("tag, you're it!").

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.