I told you so.

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:37 PM, Perrie Juran said:

Then there is this variation on the theme:

"I hope you've learned now."

A close relative's variation is: "You need to let people make their own mistakes." 

I use it on a close relative now, too, but I just think it, I don't say or roll-eye it :D 

This variation is worse, though, or, rather, delusional, as it implies that they could actually have hindered them believing the wrong thing, taking the wrong action, clicking that phishing link, or whatever, while, in reality, in most of the cases, no chance in hell that they could have. 😛 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

A close relative's variation is: "You need to let people make their own mistakes." 

I use it on a close relative now, too, but I just think it, I don't say or roll-eye it :D 

This variation is worse, though, or, rather, delusional, as it implies that they could actually have hindered them believing the wrong thing, taking the wrong action, clicking that phishing link, or whatever, while, in reality, in most of the cases, no chance in hell that they could have. 😛 

That's the wonder of "I told you so": You can say it and they'll believe you even if you told them nothing of the sort. If there's any possible way you could have told them, they'll now forever "remember" your prudent warning.

Or even if you, yourself, administered their misfortune. "Didn't I tell you to keep your hand out of the cookie jar?" You got 'em dead to rights and they won't object that the warning label was inadequate.

Or even if the very act of telling them so was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like the moderator-alert whenever "IBTL" appears in a post.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.