3rd Annual Trick or Treat Event!

Claire Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I am a big fan of the Trick or Treat Event and I hope it stays forever.

I am too, and I'm very sad that I've not been able to make time to participate this year.  I'm wondering if a numerically significant number of potential participants have been adversely affected by the various geopolitical and meteorological disasters 2023 has brought.  Haven't been following concurrency to see if SL in general is unbusy.

• Like 1

This event has never been a competition for me.  I love participating, finding fun decorated houses, exploring new areas, and writing my Thank You Notes to everyone and/or ministories to some of the really fun ones.  I am having such fun writing a paragraph to someone here and there.  I hope they put smiles on someone's face. 

I don't have enough time in a day to get to the higher tiers.  My personal goal is the 200 level Boopy.

• Like 1

People are talking about it less on the forums, but that doesn't reflect inworld. People are chatting in groups and I know they're visiting my house (I see the "sales" on the gift and I get IMs). Keep in mind a lot of the extra chat on the forums was due to issues in the previous years, which have mainly been removed by going over to tier prizes. That means people can get on and enjoy it.

I'm competitive in the sense that I want to get all the candy and the last prize, but I don't miss the whole top ten thing. It's meant I could take time off at the start to get my gift ready. I've also done more other Hallowe'en rides, walks and hunts. This is a much nicer setup this year.

• Like 3

A Way to Find Candy Buckets Using Area Search (at least on Firestorm)

1. Set your draw distance to 200m

2. Open the mini-map and turn on the "show>property lines"  (use a right-click on the mini-map)

3. Open Area Search (World>Area Search) and enter "Bellisseria Trick or Treat Candy Bucket 2023" (without quotes) in the Name field of the Find tab

4. Click the Search button

5. Fly at tree-top level to the middle of a Bellisseria region that has homes, approx 128, 128.  Rotate one full circle. Note that the mini-map shows your visible range as an arc. The idea of rotating is to pass your arc over the entire region.

6. If any hits show up in the Area Search window, go get them. Beware of counterfeit buckets... the creator is Magic Mole (you can add that to your search criteria).

7 Go to the next region and repeat.

area search.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Is there anyway to see how many candies have been collected from your bucket? (I don't think checking parcel visits won't necessarily be any use if the bucket is on the edge of the property). I've put one out this year and am curious to know how many treats have been enjoyed.

I do a long click and drag the mouse off the bucket, and then I get a message in chat that says how many candies have been given out.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Is there anyway to see how many candies have been collected from your bucket?

I have hover tips enable so I just mouse over and it shows the number in the description box. Right click > edit will have the same effect, wasn't aware you could click and hold to get the number too 

• Thanks 1

I haven't put out any buckets in previous years but I did this time.  I did not add them to the list, and judging by the numbers, it does not appear that anyone else has.  All are plainly visible and accessible next to the main entrance of the given home model, so it's an interesting study of how many people go looking and where they do so.     

Log Home - 6
Stilt Home - 9
Houseboat - 15

I would have expected the Stilt to have the fewest visitors, as the regions aren't particularly well suited for traditional walking from house to house, but it has had more than I expected.  I'm guessing that because there are quite a few empty Logs that most people do not bother looking for any in that area that aren't on the list.  Kudos to the determined trick-or-treaters who have. 

I'm sure the numbers will trickle up slightly through the end of the event, but probably not much.  It appears that most people are sticking to listed parcels for the most part.      

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:42 PM, diamond Marchant said:

5. Fly at tree-top level to the middle of a Bellisseria region that has homes, approx 128, 128.  Rotate one full circle. Note that the mini-map shows your visible range as an arc. The idea of rotating is to pass your arc over the entire region.

I've not ever found that search works like this. Things only tend to appear in area search for me when I'm within about 50-80 meters, regardless of draw distance.  Is there some other setting to check?

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I've not ever found that search works like this. Things only tend to appear in area search for me when I'm within about 50-80 meters, regardless of draw distance.  Is there some other setting to check?

It's usual for objects that don't rez until you're close, which is how the buckets have been designed. For the big numbers, there's no getting around needing to search. Even if you use area search or a finder hud, you're still going to have to move around each region and visit most regions. You also can't move too quickly, because things need to load.

Last year, I saw various people shoot above me at full fly speed and then complain in chat that there were no more buckets and they'd searched everywhere three times. I was still on my first round of searching and found all the buckets they'd missed. This is a tortoise and hare game in that respect. Things that make you go fast might seem like a good idea, but you miss too much and don't get the numbers, so it's the tortoise who gets the bat cats.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I've not ever found that search works like this. Things only tend to appear in area search for me when I'm within about 50-80 meters, regardless of draw distance

I agree. Setting dd to a high number (e.g. 200) does not improve search results. I observe that your direction may influence results and there is lag, so moving slow helps. A better search pattern might be to fly in circle in the middle of a region or make multiple slow linear passes.

The dd 200 does make it easy to see your direction and position on the mini map.

• Like 2

Here are the stats as promised. I did this by wandering rather than lists. I visited every released region. I did the ranch theme twice at the beginning and end. Other themes once, with some spot visits to prime areas (like coastal locations) when I was getting the last few. So areas I searched earlier probably have more out now.

Ranch: 155
Houseboat: 136
Stilt: 105
Traditional: 90
Log: 89
Victorian: 87
Fantasy: 36
Camper: 33
Newbrooke: 30
Sakura: 22
Chalet: 16
Specials: 2 (BBB and Auction)

Total: 801

The order they were visited in was ranch, fantasy, victorian, sakura, traditional, log, stilt, houseboat, newbrooke, camper, chalet, ranch (second sweep).

Mostly, the list is as expected. Areas with more residents had more candy. The current hot new thing (ranches) had the best haul. The one that stands out as different to last year is newbrooke didn't have a lot, especially as I visited near the end when the most buckets would be out.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

Here are the stats as promised. I did this by wandering rather than lists. I visited every released region. I did the ranch theme twice at the beginning and end. Other themes once, with some spot visits to prime areas (like coastal locations) when I was getting the last few. So areas I searched earlier probably have more out now.

Ranch: 155
Houseboat: 136
Stilt: 105
Traditional: 90
Log: 89
Victorian: 87
Fantasy: 36
Camper: 33
Newbrooke: 30
Sakura: 22
Chalet: 16
Specials: 2 (BBB and Auction)

Total: 801

The order they were visited in was ranch, fantasy, victorian, sakura, traditional, log, stilt, houseboat, newbrooke, camper, chalet, ranch (second sweep).

Mostly, the list is as expected. Areas with more residents had more candy. The current hot new thing (ranches) had the best haul. The one that stands out as different to last year is newbrooke didn't have a lot, especially as I visited near the end when the most buckets would be out.

I was on horseback in the ranches yesterday.  A few buckets only had 20 to 40 clicks.  I'm guessing those are being tapped by the walkers and being missed by the TP'ers.

I visited around 50 bukkits recently. Most were spookacular, however...

- a few bukkits were not responding to touch events (not a scripts turned off issue and not a transparent prim blocking issue)

- a few parcels had scripts disabled, which does not prevent collection, but in 2023, there is no good reason to do this, particuarly if you are expecting visitors with scripted HUDs

- a few parcels had orbs enabled at ground level which does not prevent collection but it seems not in the spirit of the event

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.