3rd Annual Trick or Treat Event!

Claire Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just visited Millbank and noticed the candy buckets and HUDs for this year are out already!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Millbank/215/45/23

The notecard mentions boopies instead of bears for the prizes, plus a couple changes from last year. There's no mysterious "top 10" number to strive for -- instead there's levels of candy collected (which I like). You can also get your prizes anytime (don't have to wait 'til the end for them to be sent):

***Prizes***
This event also includes something new from the LDPW... BOOPIES!

Boopies are collectible figure prizes in a special display unpacker box so cute you just want to boop their little nose! 

There are 4 prize tiers for this event depending on how many candies you collect.

1 - 199 Candies:
- Spooky Cat Boopie (deco only)
- Custom display shelving unit for any future Boopies you may collect.

200 to 399 Candies:
- Ghosty Boopie (deco, huggable, and animesh versions)
- Custom display shelving unit

400 to 799 Candies:
- Hoots Boopie (deco, huggable, and animesh versions)

800 or more Candies:
- Hoots Boopie (deco, huggable, and animesh versions)
- Bat Cat Boopie (deco, huggable, and animesh versions)

Boopie prizes are available from the vendor as soon as you have collected enough candies for that tier level. Candies are not “traded” for prizes. When you get the prize for one level you do not then have to recollect that amount to apply toward getting the next level prize.

How many Linden Home regions are there now? I wonder what happens if 800 buckets aren't rezzed for some reason ... but it lasts for 3 weeks now (instead of 2 weeks like previous years), so more time for buckets to be found.

Edited by Claire Atheria
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

The tiers look good. There were more than 800 buckets in the previous years. You'll also likely hit that without needing to revisit any regions for newer buckets. This'll solve a lot of the not-so-great stuff that was going on and make it more relaxed for everyone.

• Like 8

They should add that Millbank link to the blog.

Meanwhile, here are the SLURLs for our buckets in the SL Public Land Preserve in Bellisseria, for easy picking. All of them except one are on the front porch. The game doesn't start until October 16th.

1. Blogging Outpost - Under Construction

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oboeru/146/83/22

Has a few freebies and a character chatGPT out back.

2. Honorary Consulate of Titania - New!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Snakehill/31/172/32

Lots of freebies and a grid-wide quest.

3. Owl House - Under Construction

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Price/220/120/33

4. Embassy of Ross

Hunt for the pumpkin and find gifts as well.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dhal/96/114/22

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• Moles
On 10/6/2023 at 1:34 AM, AzureWaves said:

Thought this event starts 12th?

image.png

It does start first thing on the morning of Thursday October 12.   Because of a snafu, the message the buckets say when they're touched didn't get updated when we finalized the start time.

That's now fixed, and all buckets rezzed from now on will say the correct message, "It’s The Great Trick or Treat Event, Bellisseria!" does not start until October 12 2023.

If you have already rezzed a bucket, then delete it and rez a new one.    Otherwise, the bucket will correct the message itself over the next few days.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, Beryl Greenacre said:

I recall that last year there was a publicly accessible google doc posted where we could add the SL coords of the candy buckets we have on our Belli properties. Anyone know if there's one for this year's event and also where I might find a link for it? Thanks for any help with this.

There's one that was posted in the Bellisseria Citizens group notices. It has a separate form to enter details, to avoid the issues last year with the open editing. I've no idea who is running it. I'm going to prod people now and see if I can get some more info.

Edit: I prodded and here's the spreadsheet link for visiting the buckets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zv_0_90O-HHijCHAj42hfdMSoCIvM5jGtcyiKbedi0c/edit#gid=420519985

The form to add locations is best not posted here because of spam bots, but if you're not in the group, you can IM me and I'll send the link. If you are in the group, check the notices. Note it isn't my spreadsheet. I think it's Dreamer's. But I asked if I could pass on the links.

Edited by Polenth Yue
Prodding successful
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I have very mixed feelings about posting my 4 pumpkin locations to the list... part of me wants everyone to click my pumpkins but part of me says... "Wait a minute! this is a hunt, not a walk-a-list-of-LMs" I haven't decided if my 3 alts and I will be adding our homes to the list.

I added mine because the house is set up to explore and there will be a gift (not there yet, but will be placed ready for opening). But there's no real need to add houses that don't have other stuff, as people who want the top prizes will be wandering. As you have multiple houses, you could always add one for the yay of seeing the numbers go up and leave the rest for people searching.

• Like 2

Twenty years ago when I started playing in SL, it was the only game/virtual world to which I devoted time. Now I play multiple mmo's and SL isn't the first on my list when it comes to time I spend online, not by a long shot. I'm lucky to stop by a few times a week and shop or check out events or whatever, let alone do hunts. Bless every one of you who post your candy bucket locations to these public lists, you enable me to feel as though I can participate somewhat without spending hours trudging around (often empty) neighborhoods where people grab plots and never use the houses on them (skyboxes? wandered away from the game? who knows). I will never hit 800 buckets visited, but at least with the listings I can maybe get up to 300, I think that's about what I hit last year. Maybe.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I have very mixed feelings about posting my 4 pumpkin locations to the list... part of me wants everyone to click my pumpkins but part of me says... "Wait a minute! this is a hunt, not a walk-a-list-of-LMs" I haven't decided if my 3 alts and I will be adding our homes to the list.

Moi aussi. In previous years, I have advocated treating this event as a neighborhood walk around, perhaps augmented by BelliPins to minimize fruitless searches. But that ship has sailed. To have a chance at getting more than one Boopie, you must visit up to 800 bukkits. It is not feasible to collect that many bukkits unless you use the SLURL spreadsheet and TP. I commend The Lab for awarding prizes based on endurance rather than competition, as this seems more fair and less prone to gaming. Hopefully, SLURLs will  be added to the list ONLY by the bukkit owner, as it seems more fair to allow them this decision.

2023 bukkit2.jpg

2023 bukkit3.jpg

2023 bukkit4.jpg

2023 bukkit1.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 8

The lists didn't have enough to get the top numbers in previous years. People had to wander to get in the top ten. But there was also pressure to use the lists because of buckets that got removed quickly, as the competition was almost certainly using the lists and would have got those ones. Every bucket counts when it's based on who finds the most. So this change means it's more feasible to get the numbers by only wandering, rather than less. That pressure to use lists is gone, at least for people aiming for the top. Even if the list did hit 800 buckets for the first time, it's irrelevant to wanderers, because it doesn't matter what other people do this year.

I will teleport to houses that have something extra though, like they're decorated open houses. So it's worth mentioning that in the comments.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I am one of the Belli Mentors and some of us Mentors were talking about the hunt and realized that walking the pumpkin location hunt list was a great way for people to see Belli neighborhoods and decide if they might like to live in one. With that goal in mind, I have added all 4 of my homes to the list.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Esther Bunny said:

What is the prize if you do collect all the candy? A free Subscription to LL Home would be way cool 🥰

The prizes are the little toy critters. The notecards that came with the HUD and bucket should explain it in more detail.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did end up using the list last year and will use it again this year, but I TP to the region from the list entry (not to the exact entry SURL) and then walk the region looking for the home on the list, plus any others that I might find.  I feel this is a good compromise between fully walking the ever-expanding number of Bellisseria regions and just TP'ing directly to each entry.  It does take more time, and I'm not sure I finished the entire list last year, but I'm just in it for the region explorations and to get some lower level participation prize, as I know I don't have the time or the patience to go after the top prizes. 

I also added my location to the current list this morning. 

• Like 6

Just looked and there are 467 bukkits on the list. I have 4 bukkits on the list and they have been collected around 90 times. Three takeaways… the number of people going for multiple boopies so far is in the 100 ballpark… getting 3 boopies is now possible with a dedicated effort of several hours.

Getting the final boopie may take a loooong time as some form of in region search is required. Do we even know if 800 bukkits have been rezzed?

32 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Getting the final boopie may take a loooong time as some form of in region search is required. Do we even know if 800 bukkits have been rezzed?

No official confirmation, but I hit 400+ from searching regions and have about half the themes left to go. 800+ is a reasonable estimate.

Does it seem like there is less participation in this Trick or Treat event compared to the prior two events? If so, why?  Some thoughts...

The novelty has worn off...  Many other competing events (and shopping)... Switch to not being directly competitive with other residents... Boopies not as compelling compared to previous prizes...

About Boopies... to me they fit in the "cute halloween" genre. Spooky Cat Boopie and Hoot Boopie do not even appear "halloweeny" to me. BTW, if you would like to get a Cat Bat plushie in under 60 seconds (for L$120), Ionic has a very nice one at Shoppy Hoppy .

Two ideas for next year... Encourage feedback from collectors to bukkit owners, perhaps provide an object that sends a Thank You or a Like. Also, let bukkits be visible to the BelliFind HUD, as an alternative to SLURL lists and Area Search.

I am a big fan of the Trick or Treat Event and I hope it stays forever.

Ionic Bat Cat.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
added stuff
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.