Make Second Life Great Again.

P14Y3R

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive returned to SL after almost 10 years of being absent. SL was such an outstanding atmosphere in 2010, it must be better and more beautiful right? It has been 10 years, surely Linden has done something with the creators and the creators have contributed to such an amazing economy, yeah? 

I am deeply disappointed in the outcome of this sim. The paths that could have been taken, the people and community that are surely missing, the lack of economy or control of it.

Lets acknowledge that the Linder Dollar is not even close to investable. There is no "buybacks" or "printing L" function from Linden Labs' federal reserve, just greedy avatars that control the economy. Buying land at auctions is a joke, people use bots to buy land now so even if you bid, there is a bot bidding over you. Good luck getting adult land as everyone seems to think that even though there are no avatars using SL, adult land is worth L$50-100/m2. The use of bots alone should be a terms violation, but I doubt Linden Labs will govern that as they prefer to govern nothing. 

As the world progresses, better and more efficient sims are produced and SL will fall further into this pit, leaving your investment at $0 USD when the plug is pulled. To all of you greedy land owners, make the change for SL or lose SL.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, P14Y3R said:

leaving your investment at $0 USD

I think the majority of users don't see it as an investment but rather as an entertainment expense, for which they are not looking for some financial return in the future. Your post seems to completely ignore whether SL has value in this regard. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Oh, my.  The sky is falling again.

1 hour ago, P14Y3R said:

Lets acknowledge that the Linder Dollar is not even close to investable.

Right.  That's the way it's designed.  L$ are not currency; they are game tokens.  And, in accordance with the Banking policy, they are not investable:

"The Second Life Terms of Service prohibit offering interest or any direct return on investment (whether in L$ or other currency) from any object, such as an ATM, located in Second Life, without proof of an applicable government registration statement or financial institution charter. This applies to inworld investment funds, stock offerings, and banking services and the like.

Linden Lab will remove any virtual ATMs or other objects that facilitate inworld "banking," that is, that offer interest or a rate of return on Linden dollars invested or deposited. Those who continue to offer these services may be sanctioned with suspension, termination of accounts, and loss of land."

1 hour ago, P14Y3R said:

As the world progresses, better and more efficient sims are produced and SL will fall further into this pit, leaving your investment at $0 USD when the plug is pulled.

If you treat any property in SL as an investment, you are deluding yourself. As Bill Fletcher says, anything you spend here on land, houses, clothing, vehicles, etc. is like money spent to go to a movie or an amusement park. And it's a lot less expensive than those entertainments too.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

I think the majority of users don't see it as an investment but rather as an entertainment expense, for which they are not looking for some financial return in the future. Your post seems to completely ignore whether SL has value in this regard. 

it's my entertainment and my escape from having been at work,  plus my investment I'm not looking for a return for either. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P14Y3R said:

Ive returned to SL after almost 10 years of being absent. SL was such an outstanding atmosphere in 2010, it must be better and more beautiful right? It has been 10 years, surely Linden has done something with the creators and the creators have contributed to such an amazing economy, yeah? 

I am deeply disappointed in the outcome of this sim. The paths that could have been taken, the people and community that are surely missing, the lack of economy or control of it.

Lets acknowledge that the Linder Dollar is not even close to investable. There is no "buybacks" or "printing L" function from Linden Labs' federal reserve, just greedy avatars that control the economy. Buying land at auctions is a joke, people use bots to buy land now so even if you bid, there is a bot bidding over you. Good luck getting adult land as everyone seems to think that even though there are no avatars using SL, adult land is worth L$50-100/m2. The use of bots alone should be a terms violation, but I doubt Linden Labs will govern that as they prefer to govern nothing. 

As the world progresses, better and more efficient sims are produced and SL will fall further into this pit, leaving your investment at $0 USD when the plug is pulled. To all of you greedy land owners, make the change for SL or lose SL.

Who gave you the impression that SL is there for investment reasons?

By the way, I have some really low priced original Sid Nagy wooden cubes for you. Limited edition,numbered, transferable. Available in 7 different colors.
Man, they will take off in price one day. The sales almost reached the limit.
Interested?

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

Buying land at auctions is a joke, people use bots to buy land now so even if you bid, there is a bot bidding over you. Good luck getting adult land as everyone seems to think that even though there are no avatars using SL, adult land is worth L$50-100/m2. The use of bots alone should be a terms violation, but I doubt Linden Labs will govern that as they prefer to govern nothing.

You think that's bad? The other day I went to put on a T-shirt and the tag was on the outside, and the picture of Garfield was on the inside!

WHAT KIND OF IDIOT MAKES A T-SHIRT LIKE THAT?!?!?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 18

You haven't been able to use bots to buy land with for years. Maybe try catching up on all the changes over the past 10 years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

As Bill Fletcher says, anything you spend here on land, houses, clothing, vehicles, etc. is like money spent to go to a movie or an amusement park. And it's a lot less expensive than those entertainments too.

What about that PC with the RTX4090 so you can watch flying body parts rezz faster? Is that a lot less expensive than a movie?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You haven't been able to use bots to buy land with for years. Maybe try catching up on all the changes over the past 10 years.

The complaint though was about "[b]uying land at auctions" where bots do still operate. But it went on "people use bots to buy land now" despite last second bot bids having swept the bottom of SL land auctions since forever. Non-bot land buyers are expected to understand this isn't Christie's and bidding doesn't work that way—and never did.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

The complaint though was about "[b]uying land at auctions" where bots do still operate. But it went on "people use bots to buy land now" despite last second bot bids having swept the bottom of SL land auctions since forever. Non-bot land buyers are expected to understand this isn't Christie's and bidding doesn't work that way—and never did.

I haven't bought land since before LL went to the "all land sold is by auction only"* bs thing. But if LL isn't allowing land purchases by bot inworld why would they allow it on the auction? The reason they stopped allowing bot purchases inworld was because the real people don't stand a chance against them. It's cheating.

Make it make sense please.

*They didn't take away the ability to sell land resident to resident as far as I know.

Sounds like I need to forget the idea of ever owning land in SL again. Bummer.

• Like 1

Its not bots, its reserved bids. All you have to do to win an auction is to place a reserve bid so high that a land flipper won't be able to make any profit when he buys it and relists it to flip it. Of course, generally flippers have deeper pockets than you, so yes, you will lose almost every time. That's why auctions are a waste of time. Its much better to use the inworld land search and find parcels that desperate owners are trying to dump for pennies before next months tier is due.

But you gotta be fast, because flippers search the land listings every day too, and that nice roadside parcel that someone sold at a loss for $1L per sqm  yesterday will be back on the market for $5 L per sq m tomorrow.

And someone will buy it. 😁

12 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I haven't bought land since before LL went to the "all land sold is by auction only"* bs thing. But if LL isn't allowing land purchases by bot inworld why would they allow it on the auction? The reason they stopped allowing bot purchases inworld was because the real people don't stand a chance against them. It's cheating.

Make it make sense please.

*They didn't take away the ability to sell land resident to resident as far as I know.

Sounds like I need to forget the idea of ever owning land in SL again. Bummer.

It's easy to buy land from other owners without the auction hassle, or ask for a slice of abandoned land that's not at auction and on most regions, for reasonably shaped parcel requests, the land team will carve it out and set it for sale to the requestor for L$1/m. Not always, and not immediately, but often enough to be worth asking, except highly desirable waterfront or Zindra or the "urban zoned" regions such as Bay City, Nautilus City, parts of the Sharp continent, where they're apt to put it to auction instead.)

Although the Lab may wish the auctions were immune to bots, it's simply impossible for them to have any idea whether it's a programmed bidder snatching up bargains at the end of an auction. Thing is, though, it's actually not a big problem for those who use the auctions as intended: If I place the maximum bid I'm willing to pay, then if somebody bids higher there's nothing lost—and as an extra benefit, I can't get caught up in the "heat of the moment" and bid beyond the parcel's actual value since I bid all it was worth to me at the beginning. (The real reason, I suspect, is to make it fair across timezones: no need to literally lose sleep bidding at the last minute.)

This is no way to find crazy bargains. For that, yeah, one would need programmed bidding and a lot of patience for losing out to other programmed bidders with slightly higher max bids.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's easy to buy land from other owners without the auction hassle, or ask for a slice of abandoned land that's not at auction and on most regions, for reasonably shaped parcel requests, the land team will carve it out and set it for sale to the requestor for L$1/m. Not always, and not immediately, but often enough to be worth asking, except highly desirable waterfront or Zindra or the "urban zoned" regions such as Bay City, Nautilus City, parts of the Sharp continent, where they're apt to put it to auction instead.)

Although the Lab may wish the auctions were immune to bots, it's simply impossible for them to have any idea whether it's a programmed bidder snatching up bargains at the end of an auction. Thing is, though, it's actually not a big problem for those who use the auctions as intended: If I place the maximum bid I'm willing to pay, then if somebody bids higher there's nothing lost—and as an extra benefit, I can't get caught up in the "heat of the moment" and bid beyond the parcel's actual value since I bid all it was worth to me at the beginning. (The real reason, I suspect, is to make it fair across timezones: no need to literally lose sleep bidding at the last minute.)

This is no way to find crazy bargains. For that, yeah, one would need programmed bidding and a lot of patience for losing out to other programmed bidders with slightly higher max bids.

Nothing is immune and nothing is infallible. So, it's all good. 

I thought you were saying LL allowed bots to purchase from auction, instead you were saying no system is completely immune. And yeah, I agree. Thing is LL isn't allowing it and that was my whole point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Just aybe 2 or 3 weeks ago I got rid of a small 480m plot by setting it to below $1l/m Within seconds it was in someone else's name and an orange cloud was standing next to me.

If they're not using bots - they're using something equally useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.