Tell everyone one good thing about Second Life and Linden Labs

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With all the recent thread derailments lately, we can pardon ourselves for any responsibility in those fiascos by saying one good thing about SL and LL. Please be honest and for Pete Mole's sake, try to avoid sarcasm. My good thing to say about SL & LL is that I'm personally satisfied with how my pictures come out using the Linden Viewer. I also met my husband here so. You can say 2 good things if you want.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, cirleen said:

With all the recent thread derailments lately, we can pardon ourselves for any responsibility in those fiascos.

We did totally nothing wrong.
We never voted for the abrupt rule changes a while back.  Those where not our ideas. The rules are their partly too strict rules, they have to deal with people not following them 100% ever.

There are many good things to say about SL though. But I ain't gonna butter things up to please the Lab. Sorry.
Customers are king. Yeah right.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Yes, I'm grumpy today and this is Dutch directness.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Second Life is not a Democracy.

Of course not.
But good customer care ...... should be mandatory even if you are the only serious player in the field.
I ain't gonna role play here to sugar things up, how good and lovely and super they are.....  They aren't. Mediocre at best on a good day, in my honest opinion.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Of course not.
But good customer care ...... should be mandatory even if you are the only serious player in the field.

Is Second Life was run by the users of Second Life then it would be in the same sewer as the imitators of Second Life.

I should edit that to make it clear.

If Second Life was run by the users of Second Life then it would be in the same sewer as the imitators of Second Life.

There, that should clarify my opinion.  This opinion was formed by visiting many virtual worlds that are presented as alternatives to or replacements for Second Life.  I found that the largest or loudest constituency was boasting that they were banned from Second Life.

Thus, I prefer Second Life because somebody is actually in charge and that it cannot be taken over by a mob of users.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Is Second Life was run by the users of Second Life then it would be in the same sewer as the imitators of Second Life.

Who would want that?
Not me. Never suggested that either.
But I'm all for better customer service and customer care. We hand over the dough, we should be treated better at times.

Said my stuff and leave the thread be now.
Happy buttering.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Who would want that?
Not me. Never suggested that either.

Apparently, the people that were banned from Second Life wanted it?  I don't know.  I don't know or care why they were banned, or if they truly were.   I just know they were bragging that they were banned.  That's enough for me to decide to avoid them.

I am just glad Linden Lab is not beholden to the force of mob rule.  Linden Lab probably pays attention to what the users say the users want but I am sure that user A saying user B wants something is not of value.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Well this thread when down the tubes fast.  I like most things about SL. If the things that bothered me like some here I'd never log in again

Since I'm the only one with criticism so far, one more reply in this thread:
I like Second Life it is a good platform, but LL could do a lot better customer care at times. What's wrong with that?
And besides: In the land of the blind .......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I appreciate the blues clubs with great DJs!  I love to dress up and dance to blues while my kids watch garbage on TV.  I also love to put ridiculous outfits on and dance around with silly, wonderful folks in Belli, with the Hammies, and at FAR's great parties.  (My only regret is that I will never be as darn-tootin' cute as Ted!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I used to like dancing, it's hard for anyone to find music that pleases everyone, but most SL dj's seem to have an ear for what pleases the majority. I used to go dancing just for a sense of belonging by being part of a crowd. But what I really liked best was, if there's a lot of time to spare, to sit in a crowd and watch a movie. During the Christmas season years ago I really enjoyed just sitting there doing nothing watching the Will Ferrell Elf movie. It was so relaxing, no obligation, no need to entertain anybody, just to sit there and do nothing, watch a movie, chat a little. There was no pressure, it was a great way to unwind.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

This opinion was formed by visiting many virtual worlds that are presented as alternatives to or replacements for Second Life.  I found that the largest or loudest constituency was boasting that they were banned from Second Life.

Thus, I prefer Second Life because somebody is actually in charge and that it cannot be taken over by a mob of users.

When bento first came out I mistakenly thought my inventory had just become useless. I left SL & went to InWorldz before it became a malware distribution site. I can verify for sure, there are ogres and dragons in some of the virtual world alternatives who roam freely watching the world burn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cirleen said:

sit in a crowd and watch a movie

I used to go to this movie theater where they showed the movie at a certain time, and we all piled in to watch.  It was so much like going to the movie theater in 1st life, and lots of fun. Well, except for the time a woman attended with her tummy-talker blasting away during Brokeback Mountain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm impressed with how well Linden Lab has been able to make the society work.

Everybody else, from Meta Horizon to Roblox, has an army of low-wage moderators armed with ban hammers. The Second Life property rights system gives users enough authority to deal with minor problems. There are few ways to annoy people at long range. So SL Governance is a small operation that handles only major problems at a slow pace.

This is a remarkable and under-rated achievement.

Edited by animats
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm all for better customer service and customer care. We hand over the dough, we should be treated better at times.
Happy buttering.

That's a valid point Sid, many online services for communication, sharing, and social media respond eventually if not promptly to paying customers. No paying customer should be treated rudely even if they were rude themselves.  We'll need butter if we get hungry later and crave some thread toast. If you've never tried thread toast just stay in this thread a while.

edit. I have to add that I've met Sid inworld and he's for sure not snarky. Don't believe a word of it even if he says it himself.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

a woman attended with her tummy-talker blasting away during Brokeback Mountain.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Grow-With-Me-Realistic-Tummy-Talker/8165873

That must have been hilarious, more fun than the movie. Someone needs to invent a thread talker. On & off switch. New phrase every 5 minutes.

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.