Tell everyone one good thing about Second Life and Linden Labs

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Very cute!!!  Thanks, Cirleen Carlene Fletcher!!!  It is bad enough the varients of Leora I hear in SL cuz folks don't read but just this morning in RL, some dodo I am working with misspelled my RL last name TWICE in a row in an email we were drafting, continued to misspell it after I corrected him the first time!!  Maybe I need to move over to the Peeve thread, LOL. 🙀

Same thing, the fence fell down & my neighbor's got one of those double L last names. I texted her or else I would have misspelt it when we split the repair. We spell things the varient way cuz we want to.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cirleen said:

I would move right to Battery Street in San Francisco right now if LL hired me to do moderation. All I would ask is a desk right next to Strawberry Linden. I'd get me all the inside news right away, how could you not want that? Fisherman's Wharf is like a trolley ride away. But it would sour as I threw my two cents worth all over the place about things like SANSAR and got banned back to my cubicle. I'd whine to Strawberry about it.

San Francisco is a wonderful city to visit, but it's hard to live or work there, largely because housing is so limited and expensive. (The homeless problem is probably worse than in New York city, but the weather is more pleasant and people are friendlier.)

Most of the Lindens and Moles work remotely anyway, so you could still be a Mole and help with moderation. I think LL is looking for other skills too, though, such as scripting, mesh content creation, and landscaping.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I know that what happened at Motown the other day says more about the attitude of someone  working at the Lab than about me.

It doesn't take too many employees to mess things up at work, bosses, supervisors don't forget things like that and usually know all those little things that are going on. Some correction is eventually made but we'll never know.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

San Francisco is a wonderful city to visit

Not anymore: San Francisco tourists visiting beach for 10 minutes have belongings — including passports — stolen in brazen car smash-and-grab ...

In August, the San Francisco Police Department reported nearly 1,670 car break-ins, contributing to nearly 10,000 thefts from vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

LL good thing:
The fact that they created SL and kept it going all this time. That's all I'm gonna say

I'm with Phil. That's the LL good thing, that this place has managed to keep going over two decades.

SL good thing? From a purely selfish point of view it's that SL allows me to be/explore being Kat.

If I'm allowed another, more general SL good thing, then it would have to be the amazing people from all over the world who congregate in this technologically rickety madhouse.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

Not anymore: San Francisco tourists visiting beach for 10 minutes have belongings — including passports — stolen in brazen car smash-and-grab ...

In August, the San Francisco Police Department reported nearly 1,670 car break-ins, contributing to nearly 10,000 thefts from vehicles.

That's the new trend. Even this quiet neighborhood I've seen guys running down the street checking if car door handles are locked at 3am. Don't leave good stuff in the car and lock it. There's been stories about people hiding in the back seat too. It doesn't take much to be careful.

• Sad 3

I don't leave anything in my car and don't lock the door.  I'd rather them rummage through and find nothing than have to repair a broken window or door lock.  They're welcome to the few pennies that might be on the floor and the empty cans in the trash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, cirleen said:

That's the new trend. Even this quiet neighborhood I've seen guys running down the street checking if car door handles are locked at 3am. Don't leave good stuff in the car and lock it. There's been stories about people hiding in the back seat too. It doesn't take much to be careful.

Locking won't matter. The thieves break the windows:

The criminals often engage in “bipping and boosting,” a process in which they smash car windows, grab what they can and quickly drive away, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, which said thieves could often target multiple parked vehicles in a single day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

There are beaches all up and down the California coast. Why would tourists go to San Francisco for it's beaches, when the more interesting attractions are in the city?

It's difficult to find street parking anyway, so keep your car at your hotel parking garage or take BART into the city and use public transportation or Uber.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

Everyone misspells my RL last name and it's only 4 letters. I shouldn't even bother to tell people what it is, I should just spell it out for them, it would be quicker.

No one listens. My real life last name is only 4 letters long, and I always spell it, and inevitably someone adds an "e" to the end of it! 

I was a bit peeved that my niece, who is a teacher, always spells my real life first name incorrectly, but then I realised she has spelled her own married surname wrong on her Facebook! (She is a teacher!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, cirleen said:

Some people like to chase negative things. Some people think the whole world is negative, except for themselves. The enormous, almost endless possibilities in SL may be the most valuable thing about it.

I think people who focus on all the negative things outside of themself aren't really happy with themselves either.

SL lets us express being grumpy too if we feel grumpy. We can change our avatar to express our mood, then go to beach and complain about the seagulls if we want.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't leave anything in my car and don't lock the door.  I'd rather them rummage through and find nothing than have to repair a broken window or door lock.  They're welcome to the few pennies that might be on the floor and the empty cans in the trash.

If I did that in my home area I would find someone had moved into it by the morning, or used it as a toilet!

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's smart, a totally empty unlocked car.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

There are beaches all up and down the California coast. Why would tourists go to San Francisco for it's beaches, when the more interesting attractions are in the city?

It's difficult to find street parking anyway, so keep your car at your hotel parking garage or take BART into the city and use public transportation or Uber.

I think there is a bus stop very handily near LL's offices on Battery Street.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think people who focus on all the negative things outside of themself aren't really happy with themselves either.

SL lets us express being grumpy too if we feel grumpy. We can change our avatar to express our mood, then go to beach and complain about the seagulls if we want.

There's two kinds of people who focus on negative things outside themselves. One kind is depressed by it the other kind is critical of it. It doesn't sound like fun but I guess they enjoy it somehow. To each their own.

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if everywhere I've traveled to didn't have incidents like that and worse. It's common to see advisories for tourists warning them against running around with fine jewelry on (yet people still do it...oof) and other warnings. Edit: Nvm, didn't notice the tabloid link.

Anyhoo, something good about SL - being able to rival Princess Mombi's head collection, of course.

PpOEYk.gif

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Why would tourists go to San Francisco for it's beaches, when the more interesting attractions are in the city?

They want to avoid the open-air drug dens and used syringes and human feces on San Francisco city streets:

San Francisco’s once-trendy downtown area has descended into a drug-addled hellscape — where addicts regularly overdose in city-funded “dens of death.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.