Official or Firestorm?

Bazzilla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's your opinion. Opinions don't always match reality.

From the third party viewer directory page from the labs wiki pages:

Warning: The viewers listed here are not developed nor distributed by Linden Lab. Being listed here means only that the developers of the viewer have represented that they comply with the Policy on Third-Party Viewers and the Second Life Terms of Service. You are responsible for evaluating whether you want to use and share information with them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

If you are a Developer of Third-Party Viewers, we require the following of all Third-Party Viewers:

a. The Third-Party Viewer must use a protocol that is compatible with the protocol of Linden Lab’s viewers as it is documented in our source code. If your Third-Party Viewer departs from our protocol, you must clearly document your departures either in the source code that you publish for the Third-Party Viewer or in another publicly available location.

Third Party Viewers (secondlife.com)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:
1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's your opinion. Opinions don't always match reality.

I will use this as a starting place.

When Phoenix arose from the ashes there were a number of people who salivated like rabid dogs at the idea of busting  Phoenix for violating the TOS again, always looking for an inkling of a violation. After all these years there are still a few of them around. One of them is still semi active in this Forum. If He/She catches a whiff that you have anything to do with the Firestorm Project they will mute you and block you from all their properties. Crazy if you were to ask me.

Personally I hated the so called Viewer Wars. Mainly perpetuated by a bunch of Drama Lamas. 

My personal  take has always been that the best Viewer is the one that works best for you. Just that simple.

My preference is Firestorm. I simply love having at my fingertips many of the features which others have mentioned.

As far as the Official Viewer is concerned CHUI (Communications Hub User Interface) is still the show stopper for me.

For the life of me I can not get used to it. It is a clutz-mobile for me.

While it was still in Beta, shortly before it was let loose in the wild, I gave CHUI a test drive and wrote a review in these Forums. That prompted many others to test it and the result was 15 to 20 JIRA's as I recall. While a few things did get corrected sadly the Lab was too far into the project to fix some of the design flaws that were pointed out at that time.

But for better or worse CHUI still drives me crazy.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

Oh, and for the record I have never found any where in the States that can do a proper fish and chips.

This is a great sadness for me.

I think I know how you feel :| I had fried chicken in New Orleans that was so good, it's now ruined all UK fried chicken for me...we can't compete! And a bourbon pecan pie that you can't even get over here, that was yum yum pig's bum :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

Oh, and for the record I have never found any where in the States that can do a proper fish and chips.

This is a great sadness for me.

You more than likely would have to hunt down a good mom & pop place close good fishing to find one..

The best places for anything are usually always the mom & pops. :)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Properly fried and fresh French fries/ chips don't need extra seasoning besides a little salt, but are a wonderful carrier for all kinds of other flavors. My general fast food choice would be ranch dressing rather than ketchup, but I love me some chilli cheese fries. Brits also like curry fries, while Canadians like poultine .

Btw, one of my favorite quotes from this forum was when someone said Second Life smells like baked potatoes. 🥔 

Have you tried ranch on onion rings? I currently own 3 bottles of ranch, I have a collection. Chili cheese fries, yes, what about soft hot baked potatoes with bacon and cheese? Please disregard anyone who talks about balsamic vinegar, it's like putting whiskey on french fries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cirleen said:

Have you tried ranch on onion rings? I currently own 3 bottles of ranch, I have a collection. Chili cheese fries, yes, what about soft hot baked potatoes with bacon and cheese? Please disregard anyone who talks about balsamic vinegar, it's like putting whiskey on french fries.

Onion rings must have ranch dressing.

A baked potato is wonderful with chili and cheddar cheese. For a while I was microwaving a potato for my breakfast too, so I could put fried eggs, bacon and salsa on it. Potatoes are good so many ways - fried, baked, in soup, etc. They're one of the great New World foods.

Can you even imagine English, Irish and German food without potatoes? Or Italian food without tomatoes? Or a French creme caramel without vanilla? Or Belgium without chocolate?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You more than likely would have to hunt down a good mom & pop place close good fishing to find one..

I do seek out Mom & Pops. But I am also land locked.

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

A baked potato is wonderful with chili and cheddar cheese.

I like my baked potato with butter and ranch sour cream dip.

Next time I make chili I will have to try it over a baked potato.

• Like 2

This thread was so difficult to read. 

I have always used the Linden viewer but I now occasionally use the Firestorm VR viewer. The LL viewer may be a pain to use but if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. 

I want to try a chip butty. Which I am told is thick cut fries between two slices of buttered sandwich bread. I don't have the exact ingredients but will try to air-fry some crinkle cut fries and put them into a bolillo roll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

This thread was so difficult to read. 

I have always used the Linden viewer but I now occasionally use the Firestorm VR viewer. The LL viewer may be a pain to use but if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. 

I want to try a chip butty. Which I am told is thick cut fries between two slices of buttered sandwich bread. I don't have the exact ingredients but will try to air-fry some crinkle cut fries and put them into a bolillo roll.

Chip butties are popular here in the UK. You can get them in any fish and chip shop, but not between slices of bread. Tea cakes are used (there are different words here for tea cakes so maybe not even all Brits will know the term). A tea cake is round bread about 1.5" high. They are sliced in two horizontally, buttered, with chips between the slices. At home, normal sliced bread is probably used more than tea cakes.

About the Emerald viewer and LL checking code:
Even if LL had checked the Emerald code, they wouldn't have found the skulduggerous bit. Apart from wotsisname, not even the developers knew about it because he compiled the routine without telling anyone what it was. It was brought to light by one of the developers who decided to figure out what it was, and Emerald was banned.

I never used Emerald but it took until Firestorm before I felt I could trust their viewers, and I only use it for OpenSim because there isn't much in the way of choice.

• Like 4

I used to use Firestorm but I found it slowed down a heck of a lot in busy places and I was having to sort out a broken web search almost twice a week. I switched back to the official LL viewer and granted the communications interface is not all that great but I got used to it. What else I noticed was how much better things looked in world.

I'd love for the official LL viewer to be able to use more than 512 Mb VRAM in order for textures not to have to load in and out so often.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, John Nova said:

I'd love for the official LL viewer to be able to use more than 512 Mb VRAM in order for textures not to have to load in and out so often.

I consider that a flaw of the LL viewer as well.
That's why I use the Catznip viewer at times. The viewer stays close to the LL one, so not much relearning needed, but it has better texture performance. 

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It was brought to light by one of the developers who decided to figure out what it was, and Emerald was banned.

I never used Emerald but it took until Firestorm before I felt I could trust their viewers, and I only use it for OpenSim because there isn't much in the way of choice.

It was a DDos attack, out of spite against someone, hidden in the frontpage of the viewer. Wotsisname tried to wave it off, but the attack was evidently coming from Emerald and he tried to wave it off unsuccesfully. His position could no longer be held and he left. Jessica Lyons became head of the project since guarding the trustworthyness of the viewer.

I have used Emerald and it was a great viewer except for this incident. Since Jessica Lyons took over, the project has only flourished for the better and Phoenix / Firestorm have mostly been my preferred viewer of choice.

Still don't regret it to this day as a daily driver, in spite of having several clients installed on my system aside Firestorm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I often find it interesting that everything has Xanthan Gum now - so no need to shake your dressings (unless it is an "oil and vinegar" variety) or most sauces, they remain "homogenous".  I had actually bought some Xanthan Gum for my own experiments in molecular cooking a few years ago.

And guar gum.

They started putting that in everything that USED to have raw egg white, after the "Eggs Kill!" Salmonella scare, That's why if you check the ingredients of Sorbet, it's water, fruit juice, sugar  AND guar gum these days.

Viewer Wars.

In catznip, cloud avatars are pale pastel greenish clouds, much nicer than orange, and not as boring as white!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

That is genuinely a thing? good lord LL, sort it out.

From posts in threads going back a handful of years on this forum, I remember it being reported by TPV devs that LL said that...

"If we increase the vram, the viewer gets unstable so we don't"

It's one of those things that are broken in the Official Fail-Viewer, that TPV devs insist on "slightly modding" AKA "FIXING LL's busted ass fail-ware merge-code" which is why about 70% of us use a TPV as our main viewer. ;)

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If they didn't do slight modifications, they wouldn't have a hobby, would they ? :D

Hmmm... "Professionals" can't increase the vram cap without the viewer exploding, "hobbyists" cracked the problem years ago, and 70% of us can now walk around WITHOUT constant texture thrashing.

Official Fail-Viewer is Official Fail.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.