What part of Belliseria has the best sailing?

UnilWay SpiritWeaver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Obviously highly subjective opinions is what this thread is about. ;)

What parts of Bellisseria do folks find most enjoyable to sail in? Best places to start / end? And why?

Not so much a thread about what kinds of sailing - though if the answer is very different for a wind based sail boat vs a powered boat vs maybe some other option then yeah - mention that. :)

My own mental framework of the Belli waters, which might not be how others see them:

Bellisseria.thumb.jpg.024af4435d245e803dc35a0dddda8137.jpg

I "think" you can get all the way from orange up to magenta on that - by going through that thin white marked section.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From your map, i enjoy the green and white areas the most.  The river through the chalet theme is just gorgeous, and the coastline on the log home theme lets you see numerous waterfalls and other interesting things.  With the addition of the Victorian community centre / island - travelling up the east coast of the Vic theme to the community centre is also really nice too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of it.  The fact that you have all of these options and can do any combination of them whenever it suits you is what makes it the best place to sail on the grid...at least for me.  People who prefer wide open water or who like to race may feel differently, but I just enjoy a long exploratory sail or motorized water adventure.  I think it is suitable for all but the largest vessels, Galaxy notwithstanding.  

• Like 4

Bellisseria is very suitable to sail.  I do that every once in a while. There are a ton of different waterways in some themes.

The endless repeating scenery in some parts can become a bit boring after a while though.
The stilt theme for instance that only has 4 or 5 different houses that keep repeating endlessly. After passing 10 of those sims one has seen them all IMHO.

Since the upgrade of the houseboat collection that theme has improved a lot. Especially now the Moles and Lindens started to combine the rectangle plots with the square ones a bit more.

But Bellisseria is not really designed  for exploring of course.
More to give people an affordable place to change underwear and entertain a few guests occasionally.

Edited by Sid Nagy
English, ugh...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

But Bellisseria is not really designed  for exploring of course.

I have to disagree with you on this point.  I find it extremely rewarding to explore, be it by water, overland, or in the air.  The moles have filled Bellisseria with wonderful surprises that only those who like to wander will encounter.  

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Matthieu Quander said:

I have to disagree with you on this point.  I find it extremely rewarding to explore, be it by water, overland, or in the air.  The moles have filled Bellisseria with wonderful surprises that only those who like to wander will encounter.  

Yes there are some nice spots in Bellisseria, I agree. But they are far apart.
90% of the sims, especially the ones with flat landscaping (Newbrooke, the Stillt homes and to some degree the house boats). are simply "seen one, seen them all" sim, after sim after sim. Some themes are great to live in. But Belli is hardly touristic IMHO.

Milages vary of course.

9 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Totally agree here; I was a faithful rider of the Mayne Line RR on its twice-weekly train trips around the Newbrookes and Chalets (before Charley Mayne got a full-time job and had no SL time) and remember the Bellisseria Boat Parade with great fondness.  I know that the Bellisseria Bike, Drive & Scoot! group runs trips now but somehow my schedule has not matched up with theirs well yet.  We need more of these generous souls helping us explore Bellisseria and we need to support those who are already out there offering adventures in Belli.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

What parts of Bellisseria do folks find most enjoyable to sail in? Best places to start / end? And why?

It's ALL GREAT.

Even the interiors of Sakura and Fantasseria are sailable in smaller boats. From any water parcel or rez zone, you can reach most of Mainland (northern Sansara being the most notable exception ).

A wonderful feature of Bellisseria waters are the 4-corner buoys that help you avoid unseating or worse. Also, rez zones are plentiful and large.

My experience with the boating community is that sightseeing/scenery is not a primary reason that people sail. Rather people enjoy the boats themselves, showing off their boats, operating the boats, and going from point A to point B. Sailing (wind powered) simulation in Second Life is actually very accurate. It is challenging to go from A to B in a sailboat with a specific wind direction, hence, that is fun. The varied topography of Bellisseria enhances the fun.

• Like 4

So this thread was motivated by me being the dog that caught a car.

I -finally- got an amazing plot in that bottom left (South West) orange part down there with a PP+ ticket the other day. But right before I got it I'd had a random square lot up in the top right (North East) section I've colored Magenta.

Now that I have "the perfect spot", I'm sitting there like a dog with a car in it's mouth wondering if I was supposed to catch this thing to begin with. The first thing I did was look at the map and wonder just where I actually want to be launching my sailboats from... ;)

Those stilt homes do seem to offer up some nice waterways. As do the two rivers and southern path in the chalets - the middle river is very wide, and the upper river - when the houseboats in there finally open up those are going to be very popular.

I made it all the way up to Blake Sea the other day from starting in the upper right spot. Blake Sea is popular but Belli is just nicer on sailing. Likewise when you sail south from the bottom right spot the sea you get into is popular with people that do naval battles. I imagine if I stay where I am I ought to look into that scene, or just sail in the other direction.

• Like 2

I love the rivers in the yellow area to the West of the Fairground. There is variety from narrow to reasonably wide rivers, there is a canal, the trailers community centre is on the water around there too.

The Blake Sea and mainland waterways are quite different, there is more variety to see and much to explore. You can sail up past the Blake Sea to Corsica and even with a bit of luck and some careful planning to Gaeta iV.

Most mainland marinas welcome visitors and some come with their own communities.

I would recommend looking up the SLSA Group. Second Life Sailing Association, you will find races and cruises advertised there from established groups, you might find an event that suits your availability that you might want to join.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Now that I have "the perfect spot", I'm sitting there like a dog with a car in it's mouth wondering if I was supposed to catch this thing to begin with. The first thing I did was look at the map and wonder just where I actually want to be launching my sailboats from... ;)

I had a houseboat down there for a while, on the South Clump facing a lighthouse on the edge of Squishy Pickle South.  Sailing around there really reminded me of island hopping in the Caribbean - lots of unexpected "destinations" close together.  I also did some moody photography utilizing Pyri Peak's brooding presence.  Incidentally, Pyri has a dock on its east coast from which you can walk up to the "Fun Faire", and thence blunder into the funky hunt that will take you far down through the mountain.  IIRC, it's all prim builds with MANY scripted objects that say odd things and may trap you.  And don't neglect Jeogeot - one time before all the Belli areas down there were built up I was sailing around there on my little IF, and someone appeared on a huge aircraft carrier, probably from the Jinsil airport marina.  He boogied out into some open water, and then a 2nd person on the boat got into an airplane on the deck and TOOK OFF!  That person did loops etc in the air for a while, then flew over the Vics and eventually crashed.  I was agog.

If you are ever looking to sharpen your sailing skills on a small/medium boat, I really enjoy Fourze Lake.  It's big enough so one can tack and jibe to one's heart's content.  I owned a boat there for a long time, and at one point I had a small sailing obstacle course in a rezzer that I could practice with.  That lake is underutilized, it really seems to beg for a marina, with boat rezzers for people to use!   Also, that lake is connected to several rivers that go to interesting spots.  The lighthouse in Fourze has rez zones.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

If you are ever looking to sharpen your sailing skills on a small/medium boat, I really enjoy Fourze Lake.

What you are calling Fourze Lake, I call Diamond Lake ha ha! The only officially named waterway around here is the Panamole Canal, one of the 4 waterways that enter the lake. It is a great place to start or end a cruise. There is a Leeward Cruising Club outpost in Kiva which is as close as you can get to a marina in a Linden Home, as it has public rezzing and snacks. Also a GTFO hub.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kiva/123/94/22

panamolecanal_001.jpg.9501384c286df463b5398d8524bd07c9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Based on your map, my faves are the yellow, blue and orange areas. There's more freedom there to go where you want, and more interesting things to see.. But through the Stilts and Chalets areas its basically just one straight channel, not interesting enough for me. Fantasseria (black) is also fun but only if you're using something like a rowboat. Same with the Sakuras, which doesn't seem to have a colour at all.

My current Belli home is a houseboat in the yellow block and I love the sailing opportunities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Fantasseria (black) is also fun but only if you're using something like a rowboat. Same with the Sakuras, which doesn't seem to have a colour at all.

I haven't even tried to go through the water in Sakura or Fantasseria. Sailboat wise I think I might be able to if I got the (TMS) Sea Boss or something else that small.

Since Sakuras doesn't have a coast, I didn't even think to call it out on that map up there. Oops.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I haven't even tried to go through the water in Sakura or Fantasseria. Sailboat wise I think I might be able to if I got the (TMS) Sea Boss or something else that small.

Since Sakuras doesn't have a coast, I didn't even think to call it out on that map up there. Oops.

They're all little creeks and canals, a little row-boat might work better than a sailboat.

• Like 1

sailing2.thumb.jpg.abb024cfe028ddbd76f05a8939b9dbfc.jpg

Hyper realistic, and super amazing GIMP skills being put to use!  Beware of the dragons!

It is all good, but this is my favorite area.  It has access to Bellisseria, and the mainland, plus easy access to the volcano.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Hyper realistic, and super amazing GIMP skills being put to use!  Beware of the dragons!

It is all good, but this is my favorite area.  It has access to Bellisseria, and the mainland, plus easy access to the volcano.  

*perks up* Volcano? There's a volcano? I haven't seen a volcano. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

*perks up* Volcano? There's a volcano? I haven't seen a volcano. 

Yep, it even has a little plank to push people off 😈  Be careful though, if you get pushed in or if you get struck by the lava that spews out on occasion you will be teleported home.

Here is a location that should put you next to it, I tried to find a safer teleport spot but it defaults to one location it seems.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ichelus/200/224/24

Snapshot_1478.thumb.png.f9a6cc00f500b07d2ef86b079fcabece.png

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Is one of those dragons "Figment" (from Disney)?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is one of those dragons "Figment" (from Disney)?

I'm not sure, I found them on google images, while looking for free clipart dragons.  Beware, thar be many dragons in SL.  

That kind of makes me wonder, does the world of Second Life actually have a name?  

Edited by Istelathis

6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I'm not sure, I found them on google images, while looking for free clipart dragons.  Beware, thar be many dragons in SL.  

That kind of makes me wonder, does the world of Second Life actually have a name?  

I would guess the Grid name, "Agni" (assuming the Beta Grid is "Aditi", I get them confused).

• Thanks 2

Yep, it even has a little plank to push people off 😈  Be careful though, if you get pushed in or if you get struck by the lava that spews out on occasion you will be teleported home.

Here is a location that should put you next to it, I tried to find a safer teleport spot but it defaults to one location it seems.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ichelus/200/224/24

Snapshot_1478.thumb.png.f9a6cc00f500b07d2ef86b079fcabece.png

YAY!!!!!! I'm going to take my sister there tomorrow and not tell her about the falling in part. I'll tell her the plank is a diving board. Thank you Istelathis, you're a doll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Aren't there 2 ... or is it 3? ... volcanoes in LogLand?  Not counting Devils Tower.

If memory serves, some sort of lost creature ... was it a Mole? or a Hobbit? ... dropped a "One Ring" near one of them.  How precious!

Now I wanna take a volcano tour by balloon.............

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.