Is Marketplace search messed up again?

ooJenny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This happened before, not too long ago, then it was good, and now it's happening again, at least for me.  When i go to MP, and use their categories links, for whatever, let's say Avatar Accessories - Hair, I get all of these old, antiquated hairstyles from the past.  None of the top designers, none of the pretty new hairs are there.  I browsed 8 pages of the category results before i saw even Doux.  Another many pages further I finally saw one of Stealthic's hairs.  I truly hope they are working on this.

Edited by ooJenny
  • Like 1

• ooJenny changed the title to Is Marketplace search messed up again?

You pretty much have to know the brand and search for it to really get any use out of the MP.. It's so gamed to death..

If you ever get a store showing up that you want to remove from your searches because they are eating up page after page or for any reason at all on the MP you can type in the search, NOT then a space and then the Store name you want to be removed from your search.. So it will look like this--->  NOT Store name or  NOT Demo or NOT whatever you want removed from your seach..

You can also do multiple stores like this----->  NOT store name NOT Store name NOT Store name..

I have a notecard I keep that  that has a list of stores that I do this with so that I can just paste it in before any searches I do, which does help a lot when looking for some things on the MP.

At the top of the MP where it say's Keywords you can find this that can help with your searches..

MPBOOLEAN.png.fa1025c90921de44a256b1a531400730.png

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ooJenny said:

This happened before, not too long ago, then it was good, and now it's happening again, at least for me.  When i go to MP, and use their categories links, for whatever, let's say Avatar Accessories - Hair, I get all of these old, antiquated hairstyles from the past.  None of the top designers, none of the pretty new hairs are there.  I browsed 8 pages of the category results before i saw even Doux.  Another many pages further I finally saw one of Stealthic's hairs.  I truly hope they are working on this.

They've broke the mp and think closing jiras is the fix

• Like 2

I have noticed very strange ordering lately, yes. "Relevance" used to be reasonably smart and if you typed in a creators name you would usually get them very near the top, I noticed recently they were often on page 2 however (depends how many you display per page though).

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I have noticed very strange ordering lately, yes. "Relevance" used to be reasonably smart and if you typed in a creators name you would usually get them very near the top, I noticed recently they were often on page 2 however (depends how many you display per page though).

It is better for me today, than it was some months ago.

I could type the name of a large, well known store as Trompe Loeil. What came up the two- three first pages were gatcha resellers of small houses and other things Trompe Loeil had. I use sort by relevance by default, and checked that I had not changed it to show newest first.

It happened with other stores like Fancy Decor, all stores who had gatchas before filled up my pages. 

I never needed to use search for merchant/store name.

It isn't easy to type in NOT as @Ceka Ciancisuggests when it is multiple gacha resellers.

Very annoying. But I tested it today, I typed in Trompe Loeil and the first items was from that store. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 2:48 AM, ooJenny said:

When the MP was updated this week, the Relevance sort was changed and broken (my observation; others may observe differently). However, the Best Selling sort was improved to reflect best sellers in the past 30 days. So, try using the Best Selling sort if you want to see a mix of items, or, using Newest first if you want to see the latest releases.

2 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

When the MP was updated this week, the Relevance sort was changed and broken (my observation; others may observe differently). However, the Best Selling sort was improved to reflect best sellers in the past 30 days. So, try using the Best Selling sort if you want to see a mix of items, or, using Newest first if you want to see the latest releases.

Ah! I had wondered before what "Best Selling" actually meant... was it all time? it felt like it maybe was, a lot of very old stuff would appear when using it.

30 days definitely makes that a lot more useful.

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Ah! I had wondered before what "Best Selling" actually meant... was it all time? it felt like it maybe was, a lot of very old stuff would appear when using it.

30 days definitely makes that a lot more useful.

In the past (prior to March 2023), Relevance and Best Selling were almost indistinguishable. The algorithm took into account everything from recency of sale, volume, rating, matching search term. In March 2023, the search function was updated and both Relevance and Best Selling were broken. The new search only indexes the top 50k items in the marketplace, so anything not making that cut (which is the vast majority of items) were displayed in random order, and often leading to older products at the top of searches.  This week's change improves Best Selling with the past 30 day ranking; Relevance, however, was not fixed (at least when just looking at a store or category without a specific search term).

I imagine this would be quite some task, but surely items which haven't been bought in, say, 3 years, should perhaps prompt an email to the seller. 30 days no response then it gets deleted from the Marketplace.

There is so much antiquated junk on there and times have moved on. It needs de-cluttering.

Also, a way to report DEMOs that attempt to circumnavigate the 'Do not show: Demo items' option. Personally, I think DEMOs should only be linked via the actual item only so do not show up in search results AT ALL! 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.