Who was "Made In Second Life - The Movie" made for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The "trailer" below for "Made In Second Life - The Movie" showed up in my YouTube subscription notifications. Apparently, the full movie (whatever and however long it is) will be shown only at SL20B so far.

If SL20B is an indication of the target audience, does it mean that "Made In Second Life - The Movie" is really only made for "us", as possibly a "look back"? Meaning, it's not intended to truly be "promotional".

Sorry if I missed any other post about it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Please .. there has to be some "better people" out there .. please .. everyone here is walking around wearing something called "its not mine" .

People know what virtual worlds are.

What they don't understand is why they should have anything to do with one when that same time can be spent playing an actual video game or consuming other content. When SL started there was nothing else like it online, now everything else is online too. The pace and tempo of everything is louder and hotter, VRChat is stealing our lunch money.

It's the literal definition of madness to keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

It's been 20 years of this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like they made it for themselves.

Holy wordfiltered, can we get something showing off some of the actual activities in SL being done with a reasonable framerate? That'd be something worth showing off.

Or not, because every other game out there does it better at this point and SL's stagnating and losing the things that make it unique. Virtually everything SL does these days can be done in other games, with less lag, better framerates, better graphics. LL's gotta step it up and stop waiting until technologies are 20 years old (or more) before adding them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm speechless.   That was just horrible.  Let's hope it's not intended to attract people to SL because as far as I'm concerned, if I saw that today, I'd probably not be joining.

Not going to join the "watch party" for the full movie at SL20B? Lol!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hope the full Movie at least celebrates us legebitaquas! Being Pride month and all. And LL being so open and affirming.

It's possible to overdo that, too- Pride month or not. SL's great because it's a place that easily includes LGBTQ, straight, and everybody else, without being specifically for anyone. A showcase video would have to be good for more than one month, especially one that's already almost over.

• Like 2

I am disappoint, I wanted to know what was on the darkside.  The pants at the end also were pretty cool, I like cartoonish graphics, and I wonder how he got the outline to show up.  I wonder if the trains are for commies is in reference to Atlas Shrugged, I never read it - I did get a laugh out of it though.  Dang them commies and their trains!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Considering that trailers should be the appetizers for the full movie...... I dunno.
But let's cut them some slack and wait for the full movie and then judge.

For normal movies, trailers often show some of the best parts. Just saying..

That wasn't so bad.  It is only the trailer, but, yes, it could have shown a few more highlights of current things.  Perhaps we should wait for the full release unless we have already made our minds up to hate it. 

Many forum peeps are so negatively critical about everything, but we are just one grain of sand on the beach.  Right now, do we even know who the video was made for?  Who is the intended audience?  Obviously, it will be played first for people already in SL with their own interests in the front of their minds.  The whole "what will it do for me" thing is strong.

I will wait for the full release to see what it is and form an opinion then.  SL, for me, is about the people I meet, not whether they show the latest tech at the right framerate in a video.  We are all here for different reasons.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, Eric Coiffard said:

I think Vru Linden could have done a much better video/trailer to showcase Second Life.

The trailer isn't showcasing SL at all. It is announcing a movie.
A big difference IMHO.

If it's intended to show a History of SL for a friendly audience, I should hope it includes people TP'ing in with wigs on their butts, and some famous TV interview broadcast that was interrupted by griefers with squadrons of flying peens. That kind of thing is at the heart of Second Life. It's in the DNA of our Root Prims.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Sounds like they made it for themselves.

Holy wordfiltered, can we get something showing off some of the actual activities in SL being done with a reasonable framerate? That'd be something worth showing off.

Or not, because every other game out there does it better at this point and SL's stagnating and losing the things that make it unique. Virtually everything SL does these days can be done in other games, with less lag, better framerates, better graphics. LL's gotta step it up and stop waiting until technologies are 20 years old (or more) before adding them.

This really doesn't feel like it was made for people outside of second life.. It feels more like it was made for people already in second life.. A lot of the documentaries always gave me that feeling..

I keep seeing some of the same people in them..  hehehe

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

There is some assumption that the trailer is composed of scenes from the movie.

Sure, but we don't even know if the purpose of the movie is showcasing SL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.