Who was "Made In Second Life - The Movie" made for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

“Are we going to start going through the content produced by other SL residents on Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook, and deride or denigrate it because it's not doing LL's job for them?”

100% this. Especially starting a whole forum post about it? I mean really? What a great way to get new people to never try anything ever….. or ever post anything they have ever done about Second Life. 

Are we just taking everyone’s passion and making forums threads to rip them on it? Is that the new plan we are doing to ‘build the community up’? 

What is this post…. a Mean Girls flashback from high-school? Last I checked it’s not Wednesday and we can wear pink whenever we want.

Repeating  - In my defense (also I did NOT say anything bad about the "content or quality of the video") of the Original Post:

21 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think that this example shows a problem with a lot of the official Second Life videos and blog posts: they are presented without comment or context. The viewer or reader is left to assume whether or not it is "official" (even if it appears to be posted / shared officially), whether it is intended to represent how LL would like Second Life to be viewed, etc. 

It took me a long time to figure that out with the "blog posts", when I finally figured out all of those are really links to blogs run by individuals ("See the blog for details.") 

Obviously, I haven't figured that out for the official YouTube channel yet.

Thanks for pointing this out!

I had no way or knowing based on the limited information in the "official post" that a) this was content created by a Resident, not "official" content, etc. and b) this was "promoted" information like the "promoted blogs".

Sorry if I offended anyone, which was certainly not my intent by the original post.

• Like 3

To me, ALL content promoted to residents on official Second Life channels is official and approved content. It doesn't matter that an employee, contractor, or a resident made it. It's given the spotlight and it can be fairly commented on by all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

To me, ALL content promoted to residents on official Second Life channels is official and approved content. It doesn't matter that an employee, contractor, or a resident made it. It's given the spotlight and it can be fairly commented on by all.

Absolutely.

I'll go further: any "content" published by anyone can be "fairly commented on by all." Goods on the MP can be reviewed, or I can write a blog about it. When I hold an exhibition of my photographs -- nothing whatsoever to do with LL -- it gets reviewed. I want it to be reviewed! Critical commentary is a good thing. Comments here can be critiqued, for that matter.

But critique has to come from a place of being well-informed if it's to be useful. And the point is that there are still people in this thread who seem to think that this was produced as promotional material by or for Linden Lab. And it wasn't.

Drax's perspective on Second Life is his own. He tends to focus on "feel good" stories about relationships, or about those who have been liberated by SL from disabilities and other impediments to their RL. I think that mostly he makes SL look "good," in the sense of "worthwhile" and "valuable" -- even though, personally, I think he could take a more critical view of the platform and the company.

The point is that this was not designed as promotional material. It's nature is more documentary than PR.

So if you're going to critique it, fine -- but critique it on its own terms, and not because it's not something that you think it should be. Don't criticize a chair because it's not a very good table.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’ll go to the Premiere. I’m interested to see it. Some SL documentary material  I like, some isn’t my style but it’s a big world and everyone’s focus is different. I think seeing it before making up my mind makes sense. Plus, I like Premieres. :)
edit for future context: replaced photo with link after it went live. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Adding link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just watched it. It is really great. Chapeau, to the makers.
The best SL documentary I've ever seen.

My rating:

This is the way LabGabs should be produced as well IMHO.
LL needs a team of machimina Moles.

Edited by Sid Nagy
I forgot a point.
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I just watched it. It is really great. Chapeau, to the makers.
The best SL documentary I've ever seen.

My rating:

This is the way LabGabs should be produced as well IMHO.
LL needs a team of machimina Moles

• Haha 3

I appreciate Drax's effort. I have only been in secondlife for about a year so....

But he didn't focus on what most people do and enjoy in secondlife. He looked at art, but where was Cica Ghost? Or all the hyper realistic  landscape installations people have built. The sims he visited were sub standard. 

Sailing! This is massive in sl and keeps people coming back again and again

Shopping and decorating, renting a small parcel and shopping to decorate is a major hobby for most.

Fashion and the weekend sales.

Exploring mainland by car.

Popular current DJs and live musicians.

All the YouTube creators and the discord communities they create. 

And most of all, how fun secondlife is. 

It's a real shame the documentary showed a dated boring version of Secondlife. Not my Secondlife at all. 

Edited by SorachaNicEoghain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/20/2023 at 12:58 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Repeating  - In my defense (also I did NOT say anything bad about the "content or quality of the video") of the Original Post:

I had no way or knowing based on the limited information in the "official post" that a) this was content created by a Resident, not "official" content, etc. and b) this was "promoted" information like the "promoted blogs".

Sorry if I offended anyone, which was certainly not my intent by the original post.

Don't be sorry. He's the one who put it out there and had it promoted as an official Secondlife vid. Critique is tough! Maybe he can take it on board and do a better job next time if he is to represent all of us. 

Edited by SorachaNicEoghain

1 hour ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

Don't be sorry. He's the one who put it out there and had it promoted as an official Secondlife vid. Critique is tough! Maybe he can take it on board and do a better job next time if he is to represent all of us. 

I encourage more people to take on making some machinima productions themselves and from their own experiences.   Then put them up for us to decide if it spoke for us or showed enough to speak for every resident of SL.

Beyond getting to see SL from others perspectives,  it will be positive advertising for SL.

Someone might focus on transportation.  Someone else can take on fashion, nature, each subculture.  If you do, don't forget to show EVERYTHING possible in SL from every conceivable viewpoint or Someone who didn't do any of the work will say "What about me?  You didn't show what I personally do and find important"  I guess you better go try again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I encourage more people to take on making some machinima productions themselves and from their own experiences.   Then put them up for us to decide if it spoke for us or showed enough to speak for every resident of SL.

Beyond getting to see SL from others perspectives,  it will be positive advertising for SL.

Someone might focus on transportation.  Someone else can take on fashion, nature, each subculture.  If you do, don't forget to show EVERYTHING possible in SL from every conceivable viewpoint or Someone who didn't do any of the work will say "What about me?  You didn't show what I personally do and find important"  I guess you better go try again.

I know what you're getting at. It's just that it was promoted by sl when bigger, better and more relevant content creators are completely absent. I'm glad he made his vid and more power to him. I dunno, for me it was too cringe. But I am only one voice. Like look at your avi and photography Cinnamon. I mean, it's really beautiful and interesting and I doubt you are even trying. I'm confused as to why he was chosen over other better creators that's all. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

I know what you're getting at. It's just that it was promoted by sl when bigger, better and more relevant content creators are completely absent. I'm glad he made his vid and more power to him. I dunno, for me it was too cringe. But I am only one voice. Like look at your avi and photography Cinnamon. I mean, it's really beautiful and interesting and I doubt you are even trying. I'm confused as to why he was chosen over other better creators that's all. 

Sorry, but I haven't seen better over the years. Different and about other subjects?  Yes.
But better? No.

The discussion now enfolding here only shows how diverse SL really is IMHO.
That can't be captured in one 45 minutes episode.

I saw people speaking about their passion and how that translates to SL.
That other people have other passions in SL, sure. Good to hear, but not relevant when one creates a documentary. Then one takes a subject, creates a story line around that, finds interesting people to interview within ones story line.

If it was a documentary about fashion in SL, the story line would be different, the people that would have been asked for an interview would be different too, but fashion wasn't the chosen subject, so the remark about the authors pence was sufficient in this documentary.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Sorry, but I haven't seen better over the years. Different and about other subjects?  Yes.
But better? No.

The discussion now enfolding here only shows how diverse SL really is IMHO.
That can't be captured in one 45 minutes episode.

I saw people speaking about their passion and how that translates to SL.
That other people have other passions in SL, sure. Good to hear, but not relevant when one creates a documentary. Then one takes a subject, creates a story line around that, finds interesting people to interview within ones story line.

If it was a documentary about fashion in SL, the story line would be different, the people that would have been asked for an interview would be different too, but fashion wasn't the chosen subject, so the remark about the authors pence was sufficient in this documentary.

If you take the postmodern view, then this is 100% true. But as someone who ran a successful business until I sold it last year, as a business person the vid pains me because anything Linden Labs backs is a kind of advertisement for their brand. So from a business perspective we should focus on how Secondlife is experienced by most residents. Drax's video was a bit fringe. Maybe in the future Linden Lab will focus more on growing the community and instead of being nostalgic about the past, we can focus on how vibrant and fun it really is in Secondlife to attract more residents

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

focus on how Secondlife is experienced by most residents.

LL already shut down the thread about this. Twenty-four pages and not a damn thing accomplished other than people being pissy over SLex.

Each resident experience is unique.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

You know despite all the horrendous negativity in this thread that film was very good and is quite a touching tribute to SL.

Exactly what I got out of it, too. Been here just a bit over two years... the movie hardly represents what I think of SL, but anyway. It would have influenced me to try SL for sure. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Exactly what I got out of it, too. Been here just a bit over two years... the movie hardly represents what I think of SL, but anyway. It would have influenced me to try SL for sure. 

Same, I know there has been some criticism of its focus on the art side of things but... well it's a film about SL creativity, it at least covered some aspects of that and in a very watchable way.

I hope maybe a future film could cast a wider net but then it also relies on other people contributing and as you say I think this film does show a side of SL that might be appealing and enlightening for new users, especially on YouTube where SL content is basically limited to shopping and trolling.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.