Is this new round of mentors a good idea?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unless you're vetting professional community managers with experience who are paid decently, forget it. A corporation employing free labor without health coverage is inexcusable and without some kind of responsibility and oversight you end up with what happened last time-a bunch of irresponsible assholes power-tripping. It's asking for a customer service and HR nightmare. Either don't cheap out or don't bother. 

• Haha 1

I entered SL through the CSI NY tv show portal  [note my special CSI portal only  last name ] and they had PAID mentors -- it was great. The caliber was top notch , mainly creators . The rumor I heard was they got $20 USD an hour in '07  but it was a rumor .

The TV region was a mess but the mentor filled plaza was terrific, I'd get stuck---TP over , get advise [get the box off my head] and go back to exploring.

This unpaid you must use Google , you must use SL  viewer , you'll be using  your account , just no. Since any of us can go "mentor" now without restriction I can guess what the Labor Commish would say about this restrictions applied , here are rules NO benefits to you unpaid position.  [From an outside legal source: "Employees are generally permitted to work for any type of business or organization, but volunteers can only work for public and nonprofit companies. If a volunteer is hired by a private, for profit organization, then they will no longer be considered a true volunteer." Not a lawyer but seems messy]. Now back to the main event:

Say you wrong window a noob and they report you to the powers that be-- going to lose your account? And remember under 18s are on the grid. Talking to noobs can be risky to your RL , but Linden has your back-- oh wait - they don't -- you're an unpaid volunteer.

This "pay it forward" phrase really ticks me off -- was I cheating Linden somehow? Not carrying my weight? 

I went premium plus to avoid the real life  high Lindex transfer fees and have cut my spending accordingly. Pretty much just get stuff at the closing sales, sad face .

And this work for free isn't the end , as the post says " Second Life Mentors will be the first ripple in the pond of “Paying It Forward”.

Ripple:

"a small wave or series of waves on the surface of water, especially as caused by an object dropping into it or a slight breeze.

"he dived into the pool leaving barely a ripple"  from Oxford languages via google

What other for profit company has a stated business plan to push labor unto their "customers"?

So what's next, stationary bikes in our rl homes to pedal to store energy to cut the AWS bill? 

Yeah, I've got a sinking feeling . 

It doesn't take rocket science to look at active residents and say - what viewer do they use?

Communication is EVERYTHING-- the plaza CSI had with 99 percent noobs and mentors was great - give noobs a viewer they can grow with and people they can chat with right away.

On looks , I was a horrible mess and Dorrie Bellman [thank you forever!] took me to a hair freebie store, dress freebies and told me how to wear shoe alphas.  Oddly she didn't like the flapping shoe look  . Took an hour . Her kindness and the mentors -- I was hooked.

I have no idea how to help anyone today on appearance, long time male friends upgraded and look so different [ why are guy's heads so tiny?] or how to get a head without a line .

Why not have heads that fit bodies and skins that match them both? Or is that why tattoos are all over -- to blur the mismatch ?

Anyway -- mentor - no.  PAID mentors --yes!!

Edited by Mari Moonbeam
typo
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

After giving this much thought, I've decided that not paying mentors is the right track for LL.

This will attract the 'teacher-type' people...those who, for the most part, have a strong sense of empathy, and enjoy giving to others, seeing them grow and develop new skills, without any reward needed to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If only teaching was a recognized and respected profession ...

Keep 'fighting the good fight', as they say.

Best not to look toward centers of power for approval or sanction, as that will likely never come and always be a problem.

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Mentors are more like "Room Mothers" in Public School, or "Teaching Assistants" in college, than "teachers" or "professors". Just an opinion!

Actually, quite often as a mentor you become a kind of 'Goddess' to the person you're mentoring. They've arrived at a magical world where anything seems possible, where creativity reins, where you can even FLY!... and you as the mentor are the person helping them in this new adventure.

That's why mentors need supervision to be kept in check, not let the power go to their heads.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Actually, quite often as a mentor you become a kind of 'Goddess' to the person you're mentoring. They've arrived at a magical world where anything seems possible, where creativity reins, where you can even FLY!... and you as the mentor are the person helping them in this new adventure.

That's why mentors need supervision to be kept in check, not let the power go to their heads.

Goddesses get tips, I hear..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

They've arrived at a magical world where anything seems possible, where creativity reins, where you can even FLY!... and you as the mentor are the person helping them in this new adventure.

This…followed up with - ‘’and mentors get to help new people discover their own best ways to learn to partake and enjoy it! Yay!

edit: ‘their own ways’ meaning the new person’s wishes.

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Flubbed the quote, clarity

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Goddesses get tips, I hear..

no, no no...do not take tips...you will become mortal

That's not actually a thing in any of my mythos! I heard leaving coins at Goddess shrines is good luck (even if it's not Lakshmi)!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Surely the new mentors will be as objective as judges!! ;0

Or they may just try hard to listen to the new Residents wishes and suggest from their experience? 
Time will tell.

I always love it when someone  listens well enough to really try to figure out what I’m trying to do and then advises me from the best of their own relevant experience. 

(Edit: above in my previous reply post  ‘their own’ means the new Resident, not the mentor.)

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:
19 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

This…followed up with - ‘’and mentors get to help them discover their own best ways to learn to partake and enjoy it! Yay!

Surely the new mentors will be as objective as judges!! ;0

Luna, have you forgotten your research on Judges....they are not so objective as some believe.   :)

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Luna, have you forgotten your research on Judges....they are not so objective as some believe.   :)

Was this supposed to be a post by one of your Alts?!

IMG_9069.jpeg

It was a post by my caffeinated morning brain on coffee -- their name is Hyper-Luna.   :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:46 AM, Luna Bliss said:

After giving this much thought, I've decided that not paying mentors is the right track for LL.

This will attract the 'teacher-type' people...those who, for the most part, have a strong sense of empathy, and enjoy giving to others, seeing them grow and develop new skills, without any reward needed to do so.

In RL, teachers get paid.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.