Jump to content

Is this new round of mentors a good idea?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Gift card is not unreasonable for LL either, whenever I get help from a Linden (support ticket), they always ask me if via a survey how to thank the Linden employee who helped me, with a gift card or a long lunch. So on top of pay, the employee also gets incentives/extra thanks on top of that.

Ditto. And I never know which to pick. I usually choose a gift card since that is what I would choose. Sometimes I write that the Linden should get to pick what they want. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Gift card is not unreasonable for LL either, whenever I get help from a Linden (support ticket), they always ask me if via a survey how to thank the Linden employee who helped me, with a gift card or a long lunch. So on top of pay, the employee also gets incentives/extra thanks on top of that.

Are you saying that the Lab solicits for tips (through a survey) for doing their jobs while they at the same time stipulate a Mentor cannot?

6. Please remember Mentors cannot solicit for tips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

A couple of dollars for volunteering would not cause a wave of people to volunteer "for the wrong reasons". It's so far below minimum wage that it's basically the equivalent of a gift card to show appreciation. And appreciation by giving the volunteers access to the programs they're expected to know and show other residents is reasonable. It's uncomfortable for me as a resident and a person that works for a living, to see Linden Lab, a profitable company, use volunteers rather than hire for help. The volunteers can 'opt-out' of getting an incentive if they're feeling altruistic, but from reading the forum, many residents would appreciate something, since they're living on a budget.

Completely agree with this. For a company that's been pretty vocal about making around 600M USD GDP a year (which is higher than some small countries--I looked it up) the optics of refusing to spare even 300L/week for volunteer mentors are just so bad. 

Honestly, you know what the optics of a 600M USD company asking for free labor look like to me? It looks like they don't value people's time, knowledge, or worth as human beings. Is this really the image that Linden Lab wants to project, especially in light of all the controversy right now about certain online companies suddenly instituting draconian policies to the detriment of their communities? 

Altruism is well and good, but advocating for such a financially successful institution to get free labor from volunteers is tone deaf at best, and almost crossing into wage theft at worst. Maybe, instead of arguing for altruism, we should be arguing for ethical business practices instead. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

For a company that's been pretty vocal about making around 600M USD GDP a year (which is higher than some small countries--I looked it up) the optics of refusing to spare even 300L/week for volunteer mentors are just so bad. 

The $600 million figure refers to the sum of economic activity by residents in SL -- the total amount we spend in-world on goods and services, most of which comprises transactions between residents.

It's not the amount LL make in a year, which is a figure I don't believe they publish.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Innula Zenovka said:

The $600 million figure refers to the sum of economic activity by residents in SL -- the total amount we spend in-world on goods and services, most of which comprises transactions between residents.

It's not the amount LL make in a year, which is a figure I don't believe they publish.

Yes, I know that. But that's the official figure that they bandy about during interviews and is published on their website, which goes back to my point on optics. Plus, how much of that figure do you think lands in LL's pockets? I can assure you it's not a small amount. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Innula Zenovka said:

The $600 million figure refers to the sum of economic activity by residents in SL -- the total amount we spend in-world on goods and services, most of which comprises transactions between residents.

It's not the amount LL make in a year, which is a figure I don't believe they publish.

No, they make around 70 million there abouts. I will not just throw out a figure without a source. Here is mine if you wish to look. Linden Lab Revenue: Annual, Quarterly, and Historic - Zippia

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay they were very clear up front it is a non-paid volunteered position right from the start. They have many people apply so anyone wanting them paid or even thinking they should be is a moot point. A mentor is a non-paid volunteer position to assist your fellow residents just starting out. You know they cleared this through the legal department, so it is not wage theft or shady. They are not interns hoping to be hired on. They are your neighbors helping because they want to, they like to. Why is it so hard for everyone to just say great if you want to do it then do it. If you do not want too, then do not. So simple!

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Kalia Anatine said:

No, they make around 70 million there abouts. I will not just throw out a figure without a source. Here is mine if you wish to look. Linden Lab Revenue: Annual, Quarterly, and Historic - Zippia

Your source says 

Quote

Linden Lab revenue is $75.0M annually. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found the following key financial metrics.

That may well be accurate, but what of their expenditure?   

12 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Yes, I know that. But that's the official figure that they bandy about during interviews and is published on their website, which goes back to my point on optics. Plus, how much of that figure do you think lands in LL's pockets? I can assure you it's not a small amount. 

Whenever I've seen that figure quoted in interviews, it's always been to make the point that LL has a thriving in-world economy, where residents spend a good deal of money on goods and services provided by other residents.   

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kalia Anatine said:

No, they make around 70 million there abouts. I will not just throw out a figure without a source. Here is mine if you wish to look. Linden Lab Revenue: Annual, Quarterly, and Historic - Zippia

70M USD vs. unpaid volunteers. Even if this mentor plan passed their legal team, I can't believe their marketing team thought it would be a good idea. 

Though come to think of it, after seeing that acrostic slogan, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kalia Anatine said:

Well do you ask before buying a product rl what their expenditure is? Hmmm not buying this Pepsi because they made to much last year.

 

You said

Quote

No, they make around 70 million there abouts. 

Normally, when people talk about how much money a company makes, they mean the amount of profit it makes -- that is, its total income minus its total expenditure.  

What do you mean by the term?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheesh! Hey y'all, instead of being incensed that LL is making so much money and not offering to pay volunteers, be happy they are.

Most of us WANT to be here, thus we WANT them to make money.

(It wasn't that long ago that we were whining that LL would be sold and dismantled.) 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any profit reported by a website would be speculation since LL.is a privately held company and doesn't report that information for public viewing.  Even the website cited above has this disclaimer...

None of the information on this page has been provided or approved by Linden Lab.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Any profit reported by a website would be speculation since LL.is a privately held company and doesn't report that information for public viewing.  Even the website cited above has this disclaimer...

None of the information on this page has been provided or approved by Linden Lab.

 

I was wondering why / how people were posting figures!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

My figures for the GDP came from a Linden Lab press release, found here: 
https://www.lindenlab.com/releases/high-fidelity-invests-in-second-life

This is GDP, not net earnings.

Caught! Lol! (self-reported "GDP of $650 million USD")

Now the volunteer mentor pay-it-forward program makes more sense. Like the old days, this must be a Phillip project! Welcome back! Wishing you  peace, love, and a ton of Linden.  🤭 

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's still no definitive number as to their actual profit.  $650M is a big number but doesn't really say anything about how much LL made from that.  What percentage is just passing Ls back and forth between residents.  This merchants makes this much money selling their products and spends this much money paying rent to their landlord.  This.person makes money from tips and spends it on that merchants product.

LL, of course, makes a percentage off of fees for Ls purchased or sold.  We don't know that figure.  They make money on premium accounts.  How much?  Private estate?  No idea?  It's ALL speculation.  How many and how.much are the employees paid?  What is their rent? Taxes? Attorney fees?  What other expenses?

6 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Caught! Lol! (self-reported "GDP of $650 million USD")

Now the volunteer mentor pay-it-forward program makes more sense. Like the old days, this must be a Phillip project! Welcome back! Wishing you and peace, love, and a ton of Linden.  🤭 

That's transactions between residents and they've always been quite vocal and.proud of that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would need to set up an account just for that. I'd also want premium account status for that account provided at no cost. This would be so that messages from those I mentored wouldn't be capped when I wasn't online. It would also grant a linden home which would seem like a plus as well to show newcomers what those look like. I wouldn't mind using the official viewer while using that account. I always keep it installed on my system just in case a bug turns up I can see if it's in that viewer as well. Since they obviously won't be handing out premium status, I have other things to do with my time. I help newbies in any case when I can. Don't need a special tag.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SabrinaCooke said:

70M USD vs. unpaid volunteers. Even if this mentor plan passed their legal team, I can't believe their marketing team thought it would be a good 

If it's plus or minus 20M, you're right, the optics aren't great, especially considering what they're currently asking for.  

Compensation in some other form isn't a bad idea, a premium account as above poster mentioned. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...