Is this new round of mentors a good idea?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:
On 6/16/2023 at 8:46 AM, Luna Bliss said:

After giving this much thought, I've decided that not paying mentors is the right track for LL.

This will attract the 'teacher-type' people...those who, for the most part, have a strong sense of empathy, and enjoy giving to others, seeing them grow and develop new skills, without any reward needed to do so.

In RL, teachers get paid.

I said "teacher-type" though.

And far too often teachers go way beyond the call of duty, even paying for their own supplies here in the US.  Shouldn't be so, but it is.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I said "teacher-type" though.

And far too often teachers go way beyond the call of duty, even paying for their own supplies here in the US.  Shouldn't be so, but it is.

Lately, at least in the Forum, whenever I read about "Teachers" I think about the Pink Floyd song, "The Happiest Days of our Lives":

"When we grew up and went to school
There were certain teachers who would
Hurt the children any way they could
By pouring their derision
Upon anything we did
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids
But in the town it was well known
When they got home at night, their fat and
Psychopathic wives would thrash them
Within inches of their lives"

Now granted, I only ever met one or two "hurtful" teachers when I was in school.  But in the song and movie (The Wall), it's almost hard not to feel sorry for the henpecked teacher. Because apparently we are supposed to feel sorry for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's see - where were we?

Mentors GOOD! Meant to fill out the form this weekend, got busy.

I am very disappointed the "must pay them!!" keeps coming up.

I trust LL is designing the Mentor program in keeping with the extremely limited Mentor role as I understand it: a couple hours a week, in the Welcome area. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Let's see - where were we?

Mentors GOOD! Meant to fill out the form this weekend, got busy.

I am very disappointed the "must pay them!!" keeps coming up.

I trust LL is designing the Mentor program in keeping with the extremely limited Mentor role as I understand it: a couple hours a week, in the Welcome area. 

I know I only know you from the forums, but I am sure if you do get around to applying to be a mentor, then LL will view you favourably as you are always enthusiastic and upbeat and here, so can be relied upon to advise newbies wherever you can, and know who to get help from if a question is asked of you that you can't answer. 

I can't believe this thread is 22 pages long and still going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Patch Linden @Quartz Mole

LL's LDPW builder/scripter worker avatars are given the Mole last name.

How about LL volunteer mentors being given the last name of Vole? ("Vol" from "Vol-unteer")

"Mole" and "Vole" are both rodents and they rhyme!

What is Invading Your Lawn? Moles or Voles and Why It Matters! | A&A Lawn  Care & Landscaping

I've seen someone here on the forums with the surname of Mote and I keep thinking it says Mole. 

I vote for your Vole idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I assumed it was this bit:

(Applications for the Second Life Mentor program are temporarily closed due to overwhelming response. Please check back later!)

… but I haven't been following this, so maybe that happened long ago.

Missed that bit, thanks! I am glad they had "overwhelming response"!

Me, I'm just "whelmed".

ETA: Wow, they even removed the link. Cannot apply or see the application anymore.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

I would have applied for the mentor program except for two things;

First, I don't ever use the official viewer, and on occasions I have tried it, I hate it. 

Second, upon learning that the new welcome hub is not, as previous ones, restricted to new users only. Anyone can visit it, in the same way that they can visit Social Island 10 or whatever its called.  That one is a cesspit of griefers and trolls, and I have no doubt that this new welcome hub will be the same within a month. So, unless there is a permanent and visible Linden presence as well as volunteer mentors, it's going to be a horrible experience for new residents and mentors alike.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Second, upon learning that the new welcome hub is not, as previous ones, restricted to new users only. Anyone can visit it, in the same way that they can visit Social Island 10 or whatever its called.  That one is a cesspit of griefers and trolls, and I have no doubt that this new welcome hub will be the same within a month. So, unless there is a permanent and visible Linden presence as well as volunteer mentors, it's going to be a horrible experience for new residents and mentors alike.

Discussing things on the forums in the hope some Lindens might be enlightened somehow......
A good speech to an oak in your neighborhood has the same result.

Residents can't think, analyze, have no experience from the past, can't predict an obvious outcome whatsoever....ever.
But read the baloney about them listening, valuing and appreciating resident input in their glossy SL20B magazine.....
Maybe a short while in 2003 (I don't know, I wasn't around then), but these days....

Sigh.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I would have applied for the mentor program except for two things;

First, I don't ever use the official viewer, and on occasions I have tried it, I hate it. 

I fear you may be right, I hope it does not go that far. The new welcome hub is really well made. I was just over there.

I could see 1 mentor and 2 one-day old avatars. The rest was a handful of us older residents. It is morning in Europe, and naturally it is not crowded. 

Let us see when the word start to spread. I would think the mentors get a hotline to Lindens who are logged in, so they can come and slap griefers hard.

---------------------------------

What you say about the official viewer, I second that. I can not see myself using that viewer for money (well, depends how MUCH money) and totally not for free.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

The LL viewer will not chase away noobs. The FS viewer will not help them stay.
It is about the overwhelming number of things one has to master in a short time. That is the same in all viewers.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

The LL viewer will not chase away noobs. The FS viewer will not help them stay.
It is about the overwhelming number of things one has to master in a short time. That is the same in all viewers.

Some viewers are more intuitive then others. On that scale, the LL viewer is on the bottom of the list and was already the case when I came in 2009. Had I not had someone direct me to the then Phoenix viewer by my third login, I'm not so sure I would have continued. Looking at the LL one today, there would have been even less chance I would have. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Some viewers are more intuitive then others. On that scale, the LL viewer is on the bottom of the list and was already the case when I came in 2009. Had I not had someone direct me to the then Phoenix viewer by my third login, I'm not so sure I would have continued. Looking at the LL one today, there would have been even less chance I would have. 

It is all about what one is used too IMHO.
FS made it a sport from the beginning to put as much features as possible on another spot than the LL viewer.
And of course renaming as much features as possible.

I always stayed with the LL viewer and every now and then tried the FS one and have exactly the same feeling about the FS viewer as many regular FS users have about the LL one.

There is totally nothing wrong with the LL viewer.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is all about what one is used too IMHO.
FS made it a sport from the beginning to put as much features as possible on another spot than the LL viewer.
And of course renaming as much features as possible.

I always stayed with the LL viewer and every now and then tried the FS one and have exactly the same feeling about the FS viewer as many regular FS users have about the LL one.
FS and their oldbie users (who actually started to use FS when the LL viewer got a new look and feel back in the days) are masters in keeping the viewer meme alive IMHO.
There is totally nothing wrong with the LL viewer.

The first thing wrong with the LL viewer (which I always have a copy of for comparative testing purposes) is that it continually reverts to default settings forcing me to reset my preferences on each new update. It has no RLV making it useless for the Wardrobe inventory app as well as many other RLV functions of course. It has no Area Search or Quick Preferences ui's for ready access to often used functions. 

Why do they have an Environment button that doesn't allow you to actually change the Environment? Just a confusing mess.

• Like 2

I ain't gonna participate in a viewer clash war.
That is totally off topic here, and on top of that I personally could not care less what others use and for what reasons.

I can totally understand why LL wants the mentors to focus on one viewer.
Starting into SL is hard enough as it is with whatever viewer. No need to complicate it even more at the start of ones new SL career.

Edited by Sid Nagy
added an f
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I ain't gonna participate in a viewer clash war.
That is totally of topic here, and on top of that I personally could not care less what others use and for what reasons.

I can totally understand why LL wants the mentors to focus on one viewer.
Starting into SL is hard enough as it is with whatever viewer. No need to complicate it even more at the start of ones new SL career.

It was the Mods that shifted the goalposts of the topic by not allowing the choice of viewers as having a bearing on the potential success of the Mentors but since applications for Mentors has now been closed and a Mod liked your comment about whether the LL viewer will not chase away noobs and the FS viewer will not help them stay, I assumed the topic could again include comments about viewers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a standard viewer (LL's) and there are other viewers (modified LL's viewer). Starting with the standard viewer is the obvious and right way for a new user to start getting into SL. They can switch to other viewers later if they want to, but introducing new users to non-standard viewers at the start would be a mistake, since they've just downloaded the standard viewer.  Even mentioning that there  are modified viewers would add to the existing confusion that a new user has, and would, therefore, be counterproductive at that point. LL's insistence on using the standard viewer is spot on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

There is a standard viewer (LL's) and there are other viewers (modified LL's viewer). Starting with the standard viewer is the obvious and right way for a new user to start getting into SL. They can switch to other viewers later if they want to, but introducing new users to non-standard viewers at the start would be a mistake, since they've just downloaded the standard viewer.  Even mentioning that there  are modified viewers would add to the existing confusion that a new user has, and would, therefore, be counterproductive at that point. LL's insistence on using the standard viewer is spot on.

What if the new user came because they have heard of the RLV functions available in other viewers and is attracted to such an activity? Why train them on a viewer that has no such ability?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.