how are people still entering my property?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something that doesn't make sense to me is that I have a piece of property on Mainland I have the access options to no one including ban lines up, I have the sly security system also for the property which it sends me emails when somebody has been detected and throws them out, if access is denied through the second life settings and I also have a security system how are people still getting access into my property? Does the ban lines only go so high up and as a result people are going past that and then jumping into my property? I'm not mad I'm just trying to educate myself on how the whole system works as always thank you for your input!

A little side note too I noticed that these people who are getting into my property are not new accounts they're at least two three years old I don't know if they're Bots I do know about the Bonnie Bots but those are not what the names are I've even sent every single one of them a message and ask what I could do for them and I never get a reply back some their online status says unknown while some say online

Just wondering if you recently got this mainland or you have had it for a while. If you just acquired it,  the land may have been a popular spot, and peeps just have old landmarks.

I actually explore a lot, and I have lost count of how many places I have been booted from or banned. Also It really is up to the person with the avatar if they reply to your messages or not. There is a chance they do not speak English (or very little). I actually got a message once, which looked like Japanese or Chinese, but couldn't read it.

I think this below is correct, however.

15 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

regular banlines only go 50m above terrain or water height, whichever is higher.  So if your land is at 35m, then ban lines stop at 85m

Edited by shireena1
added a word, now it makes sense lol

Have you tried this with an alt or someone else you know to see if they get booted?

If you have it all setup properly,  avatars should just be being booted without actually gaining access, or at least, not for more than a second or two.

2 hours ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

just trying to educate myself on how the whole system works as always thank you for your input!

As @Eowyn Southmoor says: on the mainland, banlines only work up to a certain altitude.

The best next thing to keeping people out is to get a quick-response security system, one that ejects first and asks questions later. Keep in mind that such a device is not allowed in many places, so use at your own risk.

image.jpeg.9b94af0b7d5d2eea0e760bc63636b763.jpeg

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Maybe this will scare them off.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

As @Eowyn Southmoor says: on the mainland, banlines only work up to a certain altitude.

The best next thing to keeping people out is to get a quick-response security system, one that ejects first and asks questions later. Keep in mind that such a device is not allowed in many places, so use at your own risk.

image.jpeg.9b94af0b7d5d2eea0e760bc63636b763.jpeg

1 hour ago, shireena1 said:

Just wondering if you recently got this mainland or you have had it for a while. If you just acquired it,  the land may have been a popular spot, and peeps just have old landmarks.

I actually explore a lot, and I have lost count of how many places I have been booted from or banned. Also It really is up to the person with the avatar if they reply to your messages or not. There is a chance they do not speak English (or very little). I actually got a message once, which looked like Japanese or Chinese, but couldn't read it.

I think this below is correct, however.

2 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

regular banlines only go 50m above terrain or water height, whichever is higher.  So if your land is at 35m, then ban lines stop at 85m

Thank you so so much for the replies I appreciate it so to go from top to bottom.. first of all I did not know there was a specific altitude that a ban line goes up to so definitely good to know I appreciate it

When I got the property it had to have been maybe a few months ago as a matter of fact that is some good thinking I never even thought about if the previous land was maybe a main store of course I don't have the details on that I've even looked in the landlog if you will online and the seller deleted it and put their own stuff

I have not tried this with an ALT account even though I do have one this has been happening probably the last couple weeks so it just kind of started that's why I initially thought maybe it was Bots or something.

As for the security system I have one and I highly recommend anybody that has a security issue get one of those, its called the Sly Security System, literally I think the person was selling it for like one Linden or something like that I forget the main store but this person has all kinds of products for your business and such the reason why I like it so much is because it actually gives me an actual email that tells me somebody entered and was ejected from my property so it does the job just fine

The whole reason why I made this post was because maybe there was something I was missing and if others was experiencing the same thing but everyone brought up some good points that I was not aware of so the post did its job I guess it's just something that I'm going to deal with

A technicality about ban lines...

General banlines only extend 50m above the terrain, as Sid points out. However, if you ban a person by name, the banlines they encounter extend up to 5,000m, well above the maximum build height.

People can still fly over your property in either case.

You can disable visibility of avatars on your parcel by un-checking a box in About Land, Options tab. This means that while people outside your parcel can look in, they cannot see or hear chat from any avatars there. This works both ways, you cannot see avatars outside your parcel either. Once someone flies over your parcel and is inside the borders, though, they can still move their cameras to you and go all voyeuristic.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Is that right? I didn't know banlines altered how the Privacy button works!

It works that way even without banlines! 🙂

That's why a skybox is actually a bit worse if you want privacy. If you're high in the sky, someone can enter the same "section" of the parcel and peek at you from thousands of meters away.

But if you're hanging out at ground level, no one above that ~50 meter height is able to peek in, even if they are within the same parcel.

(There's other freaky quirks about parcel privacy, like people outside of the parcel still being able to hear chat from inside the parcel...)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 9:29 PM, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

I've even sent every single one of them a message and ask what I could do for them and I never get a reply back some their online status says unknown while some say online

Well I did reply to your message, if you recall, and spoke to you for a few minutes.  I was trying to help with that off-sim huge scenery prim some dummy rezzed  around your region, and I was flying over your parcel above 100 meters at about 20 knots. Your orb still ejected me, because I froze up for a couple seconds, and then kept flying.  I think you had a 10 second eject time.  Your region is divided up into many small parcels, so it is impossible to fly and avoid flying over someone's land for a few seconds. There is no way to detect an orb in advance when flying.    Fortunately you have some abandoned land around you.  There was one guy that had a tiny parcel right next to the Linden road, with a zero second orb.  His parcel was empty, it looked abandoned.   Just another reason why mainland travel sucks.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 3:18 AM, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

As for the security system I have one and I highly recommend anybody that has a security issue get one of those […]

Just a counterpoint: Nothing against this particular one (I have no idea), but security systems in general tend to create more security issues than they address. I don't mean "issues" like more folks come back and inspect a parcel that needs so much security—although that may happen too. I mean "issues" like obsessing over whether the parcel security is adequate, when "adequate" isn't strictly defined. I've known residents to go to absurd measures to make absolutely sure nobody can spend even a second "where they don't belong" and end up driving themselves security-issue crazy.

It's Mainland. It's a bunch of pixels. "Security" is completely optional roleplay. Set whatever minimal land settings are handy and declare it plenty good enough so rather than obsess over security, you can spend that time adding content folks might even want to intrude to get at.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Instant TPing of people is against the TOS. You are required to warn people and give them time to leave before TPing them.

"Linden official position

You can use scripted objects to enhance your land ownership tools. Generally, such scripts should:

• Provide adequate warning to the undesired Resident."...

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Land_With_Restricted_Access

That said, I doubt anyone at LL really cares or enforces this policy.

My 2 cents, I hate them and I wish LL would enforce the policy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Artorius Constantine said:

Instant TPing of people is against the TOS. You are required to warn people and give them time to leave before TPing them.

You can use scripted objects to enhance your land ownership tools. Generally, such scripts should:

FYI - There have been many, many discussions here in the Forums about what are called, "Zero-Second Orbs" that give no warning.

Those discussions usually did not go well. (Everyone has an opinion and things get personal.)

• Like 3

I find these comments very fascinated and I wanted to jump in here and give my two cents the first thing I want to say is the fact that I did not create this thread to create drama I'm about a year and a half old in my account so I personally did not know it was a genuine question and I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers but yet again I'm not sorry

This is a form for Learning and educating and communicating and making friends some people already talked about how some threads don't go well because it turns personal well to that I say screw it I don't understand what the big deal is about the etiquacy in Second Life, what I mean by that is you don't just go up to a stranger's house and trespass their property in real life the metaverse is kind of the same thing there's rules and certain things that you follow and why people make it personal is beyond me I mean I bought with my own money in real life a piece of the pie and second life my own little private area and if I don't want people trespassing on my property then I should be allowed some given rights to make that happen and the thing about the zero second orbs I really do not care about who thinks it's wrong or who thinks it's right the way I look at it is I'm stair stepping I was nice and people still were trespassing so I have to take it up a notch because people do not care

I'm going to say it right now that I know there's a lot of people in the Second Life Community being there for a year and a half already I have found that a lot of people like to cause drama and I'm not for that I said what I said I have a zero second orb I don't want people trespassing on my property and people should not have a problem with that and I know there's going to be arguments to what I'm saying right now which that's the internet for you

The bottom line is what I'm trying to say is I have a zero second orb and I don't care if people are pissed off with it it is my little section it is my privacy and people in real life would probably do the same thing in fact they do it's called if you go up to somebody's house in the country they come out with a shotgun. So after reading all these comments I appreciate everybody's input on this I really do but I just don't understand why some threads have gone wrong and became very personal like we're all playing the same freaking software we're all on the same metaverse let's all just get along let's all just do what we want to do stop the drama stop the Tantrums and let's just have fun let's not be toxic

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

what I mean by that is you don't just go up to a stranger's house and trespass their property in real life

I was happy to learn about visibility in this thread as I didn't previously have a correct understanding. When you uncheck "Avatars on other parcels can see...", this works for you at ground level even if your peeper is directly above you but beyond the visibility range, which means you don't need an orb up there, just one at ground level (or banlines).

About zero second orbs... in real life, people don't shoot down aircraft that fly over their property. Similarly, there is no good reason to put an orb in open airspace above your parcel, as this does not increase security or privacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Those discussions usually did not go well. (Everyone has an opinion and things get personal.)

Agreed. I stay out of those 😃 And LL doesn't enforce this policy any more than they do scripted agents so I never bother to argue about it.

I do enjoy flying across SL though and getting booted home just because I flew over someone's land is really, really irritating.

There's no good reason for a zero second eject and it's against the "Official LL Position". LL could enforce it by not allowing builders to make zero second systems available. But they don't, which just shows they are not vested in enforcing it. If they don't care, arguing on the interwebs about it is meaningless. That's why I stay out of those threads. 😃 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Artorius Constantine said:

The word that causes the confusion is should.  If they wanted, they could have used must but they didn't for a reason.

"Generally, such scripts should:

Provide adequate warning to the undesired Resident."...

Should have been written...Scripts must provide adequate warning...

Skip the Generally and add Must instead of should.  Easy peasy.

They haven't since it was originally written, made that change.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.