Spring Cleaning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

34 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

If I had a full bright prim build with big glass windows displaying images of people being tortured on moderate land like one neighbor that doesn't appear to have logged in for ten years then I think it possible to allow governance some discretion to apply a criteria around taste.

Besides if I hadn't logged in in 5 or 10 years I wouldn't care anyway as I don't use the land and wouldn't even know. I think I would be more surprised to find it still there.

While I feel a clean up.of some old ugly builds on mainland is needed, more.people will be effected by a MP clean up.  Your average SL.user will probably never see that ugly build you've mentioned.  I haven't.  I have waded through decades old 'junk' on the MP to find what I'm looking for.

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Some of the ugly neglected builds on mainland are most definitely garbage. Some have some historic significance, others are just eyesores with no redeeming qualities. I don't know how to formulate a clear policy, but I think some sort of spring clean of mainland would be more value than marketplace database purging. 

The policy is simple and crystal clear.

• If resident paying for land under it - It stays.
  • If a mole made it - it stays.

There can be no clean up as that requires the subjective policing of paid for builds on a continent with no covenant.

If you want policed builds build on Linden land, Belli.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I have waded through decades old 'junk' on the MP to find what I'm looking for.

I wonder if it would help to have a "listed before" / "listed after" / "listed between" dates option with "save as default search criteria".

"Never show me MP entries listed before 2010."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder if it would help to have a "listed before" / "listed after" / "listed between" dates option with "save as default search criteria".

Something like that could help if people are having problems with sorting through decades old junk. I have never had that problem, scripts still seem to work for the most part without going out of date and with bakes on mesh we can now much more easily use some of the old outfits than we could pre-bom.

Junk, IE stuff I don't like is as likely to be recent as something from 10 years ago.

It is the outfits listed under every colour separately that make me applaud the idea of cleaning up marketplace.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We asked for something similar at the monthly meeting, the idea that listing dates could be visible, so that if it was listed in 2009 you know it is not mesh, if it was listed in 2013 you know it probably does not have an applier etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

We asked for something similar at the monthly meeting, the idea that listing dates could be visible, so that if it was listed in 2009 you know it is not mesh, if it was listed in 2013 you know it probably does not have an applier etc.

Or script pre-dates Mono! (If listings exist that old, possibly Mono is older than MP.) But Experiences, Sculpties, certain LSL functions..everything had a "start date".

On 5/7/2023 at 8:44 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I am a strong advocate for SL being a living world first rather than a tomb enshrined with vintage prims, but it strikes me as odd that on the one hand, LL wont do anything that might break old content in the name of preservation ... and then happily cull access to the same old content to solve a provisioning problem.

You're on a roll today, Coffee. Agree 100% with this.

On 5/8/2023 at 1:32 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

That would be the only downside is if people can't get redeliveries. Maybe they can figure out a way to keep the item in the database and if you have it in your "orders" you can still click redelivery. 

But redeliver will not be a big problem because a lot of old junk on the marketplace was listed before the redeliver option was implemented there.
So redeliver is not an option at the moment either for those.
On top of that, not all merchants allow a redelivery. It is an option for the merchant to not allow it for their listings even when it has a copy permission.
And finally, we are talking about no longer selling products otherwise they would stay listed. So basically products that lost their relevance over time or where never relevant.

Edited by Sid Nagy

31 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But redeliver will not be a big problem because a lot of old junk on the marketplace was listed before the redeliver option was implemented there.
On top of that, not all merchants allow a redelivery. It is an option for the merchant to not allow it for their listings even when it has a copy permission.
And finally, we are talking about no longer selling products otherwise they would stay listed. So basically products that lost their relevance over time or where never relevant.

We need some kind of device in-world to help us control our MP sales. 

Some kind of, I dunno, "magic box".

..Is joke!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

That might be true of items from 10+ years ago but they are talking of items made in just the last couple of years. Going forward, items made today could be technically un redeliverable within 2 years. To me the new policy smacks of the Lab being unable or unwilling to put the time and effort into making the MP return relevant search results that aren't flooded with Demo items even when the checkbox is checked to not show them and as mentioned before, 20+ colour option listings for 1 item. Those are way more aggravating then older items that may not have sold in the last couple of years. I have found more then a few hidden gems in those results which might not have been popular but were still perfect for something I was looking for.

• Like 2

In the end the marketplace is a commercial site.
It is not fair to expect the company behind it to keep all the clutter up and in the end make the site unusable.
Too much unwanted items show up.
Items that don't sell for 2 years plus the merchant can't even be bothered any longer... that is a pretty good indicator for junk in my view.

Maybe LL should start charging 2-5 L$ per newly listed item in the future and another 10 every year one wants to keep them on the MP as a merchant.
That would work wonders IMHO to de-clutter.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

Archive the current MP.  Merchants can stay on that if they choose or transition to a brand spankin' new MP complete with drop down menus.

Honestly, it would be much less work for LL to start from scratch and then keep up with it in regards to spam keywords and such.

They're always trying and failing at reworking existing problems like MP, group chat, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LexyMarie said:

So they wasted millions & its not even a viable product,you dont feel any kind of ways about that?

The Lab sold Sansar. The new owners are using the tech developed. So not what most of us would call a waste. Unless of course, you think VR is a waste...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LexyMarie said:

So they wasted millions & its not even a viable product,you dont feel any kind of ways about that?

if you make statements, be sure to have read something about it. If you still think Sansar is involved in SL you missed a few years of history.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

That might be true of items from 10+ years ago but they are talking of items made in just the last couple of years. Going forward, items made today could be technically un redeliverable within 2 years.

I have been wondering lately why people are so keen on this redelivery feature and what it's for, even being a miniscule MP merchant myself.  So, I got to thinking about it one day, is the redelivery feature's great relevance in that there would be hopes that when new bodies come out, the clothing item one already owns will be updated for that new body?

I hardly ever need redelivery - Dinkies are one size fits all (even if we change Dinkie shape) and I mostly make my own stuff in SL.  So, I dunno what's so great about it?  I understand the need for redelivery when our basic body has updated - even Dinkie bodies needed an update for BOM.  But, redelivery overall as something spectacular, I'm not sure why?   It rarely has become a need for me.   

As far as MP, I search in the stores themselves.  Just searching Google could give me enough new good stores to last for months of looking.  Google search has a link to take you right to the item on MP.  Google Images search may help filter out old junk.  The trick is learning to be a good keyword searcher on Google.  In MP stores themselves, use newest first for those who do not know.  Newest First is found in a dropdown menu near the top to the right where it says RELEVANCE. 

Edited by EliseAnne85

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you make statements, be sure to have read something about it. If you still think Sansar is involved in SL you missed a few years of history.

The point that LL burned the house down to build it before selling it and selling themselves is still relevant.

Sansar might be gone, but the effects aren't. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The point that LL burned the house down to build it before selling it and selling themselves is still relevant.

I think, and hoped, that LL learned a nice lesson in "What Not to Do"!

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

it has nothing to do with spring cleaning .. but would be a nice new subject (but affraid that will be closed al lot faster as some others)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

LL is over here all like, "Burning Down the House!" (Talking Heads), then they're ALSO all like, "I'm Still Standing"! (Elton John)

So many 80's references!

Get off my lawn!

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If:

1) The maker never, ever logs in again

AND

2) Nobody else ever, ever buys it again.

Within 2 years, after which the item is unlisted then disabled and it will be impossible to purchase. So basically it is saying any content has a shelf life of 2 years maximum. The Lab makes mention of "absentee store owners who don’t offer sales support for their products"  but in their announcement they make no mention of whether redeliveries will be available for those items that have been delisted and or the store closed/disabled. That is of course the number one way absentee owners continue to support their products when a user breaks or loses what they have in inventory now. Instead of being able to delete the box the product came in, one will have to make sure they hold on to it in case they ever need to rerezz it on the chance the store is closed or item is delisted.

If the Lab was really concerned about creators giving after sales support, there are other surer ways of doing that in a way that do not result in thousands losing money on Marketplace items that are nothing more then empty boxes, as mentioned in a recent thread. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.