Lets talk about Chat GPT and AI, is it possible for AI to take our avatars and turn them into real people?

heres an interesting question, after watching Coldfusion Tv on youtube talking about how advanced AI has become, the question I have and egger to know is.. I have seen photogenic pictures of people that AI has created and they are not real people but lets say you upload your avatar to AI, is it then possible to have it create a real life looking person from your avatar?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

heres an interesting question, after watching Coldfusion Tv on youtube talking about how advanced AI has become, the question I have and egger to know is.. I have seen photogenic pictures of people that AI has created and they are not real people but lets say you upload your avatar to AI, is it then possible to have it create a real life looking person from your avatar?

Somewhat. Do you mean in 3D mesh, or in 2D pics?

If you mean the latter, check out ArtBreeder.

Here's what it did with my avatar.

2073284423_ScyllaArtbreeder-Blank.thumb.png.f7e338f622ecec4ff9febd76b7e26e96.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Yes, GPT(-4) can definitely do that. This is one of the simpler tasks for it actually. You said you saw ColdFusion's latest video so you know Dagogo said that those incredibly realistic looking photos you saw are "the worst as they'll ever be". Meaning, they are still in the beginning stage. We have yet to see what it can do later. So this is very much possible.

On a side note; GPT-3 is currently in SL. I know of at least 1 bot in SL running on GPT-3, have a conversation with it, ask it to write an LSL script and it will remember you when you come back to it at a later date. I won't disclose it's name or location or who created it for the simple reason that the GPT API charges by the word and i don't want everyone to go visit it and leave it's creator with a hefty bill. ;)

Side note #2: I am impatiently waiting for AI to spell check as a standard. My native language isn't English but i try my best to write it as good as i can. Help with this would be amazing. It would also be nice to help the people that think "u" is a word. ;) 

• Like 4

I thought I'd ask ChatGPT about it and here's its answer:

As an AI language model, I can provide insights and information about the current state of artificial intelligence and its capabilities. However, it's important to note that the scenario you described is not currently possible with existing AI technology.

While AI has made significant advancements in fields like computer vision, natural language processing, and robotics, it is not capable of turning virtual avatars into real people. Avatars are digital representations of people created for use in virtual environments, and they do not possess physical bodies or the biological components that make up a real human being.

Furthermore, the idea of "turning an avatar into a real person" raises ethical concerns around identity and consent. It's important to approach these discussions with caution and consider the potential implications of such technologies.

In summary, AI is not currently capable of turning avatars into real people, and any such scenario raises important ethical considerations.

When I asked if I can quote it on this, it added:

Yes, you may quote my response. Please ensure that it is clear that my response is based on the current state of artificial intelligence and its capabilities as of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021. It's also important to note that AI research and technology are continually evolving, and future advancements may change our understanding of what is possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, but is it Art?

That could make for an interesting thread topic. No, wait..never mind.

You know it's quite sad of how obnoxious some of you can be it's a general discussion forum you much rather sit there and be outlandish and just not pleasant what did you gain from an idiot response like that? Oh wait you got a reply out of me congratulations here's your cookie

8 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

yes its possoble usoing face geneerator.

whats the point u need it ?

It's a general discussion for him to generate some talk let me break it down for you like this since apparently you were confused.. I am into photography moreover virtual photography since I found Second Life what I thought would be interesting would be to upload one of my photography pictures of my avatars and actually uploaded to AI or artificial intelligence it seems like you've lost a couple brain cells so then my avatars already look like a human but there's a part about them that is virtual what I wanted to know was what my avatars would look like if they were a legit human, that's what I would need it for

11 minutes ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

You know it's quite sad of how obnoxious some of you can be it's a general discussion forum you much rather sit there and be outlandish and just not pleasant what did you gain from an idiot response like that? Oh wait you got a reply out of me congratulations here's your cookie

I think Love is just making a humerous reference to a previous thread that ended up discussing if AI generated images can be considered art... as often happens it had some stong opinions on both sides (mine included - can you guess which side?) and ran the risk of people being offended. Hence the "No, wait..never mind."

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

The point of my comment is this: Discussions of "AI-generated" images often become discussions about the merits of AI "Art", and get side-tracked on "what is art?" questions. I was referencing those discussions and questions.

I'm sorry if you took my response in some other way. 

I think that the very first reply to your post, by @Scylla Rhiadra, addressed your question directly. Yet, you have not replied or participated in your own interesting discussion until replying to my post. Please let us know how to engage you in your interesting discussion, so that we are not merely discussing it amongst ourselves.

Did you want to discuss the topic? Or, just reply to posts that you don't like?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Somewhat. Do you mean in 3D mesh, or in 2D pics?

If you mean the latter, check out ArtBreeder.

Here's what it did with my avatar.

2073284423_ScyllaArtbreeder-Blank.thumb.png.f7e338f622ecec4ff9febd76b7e26e96.png

9 hours ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

@xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild, see @Scylla Rhiadra's example above. Is this "real life looking" to you? It is to me! 

Did you mean this, "a picture" of a "real life looking" person based on your avatar?  Or, did you mean "a 3-D, full, moving, animated avatar that looks like "real life" (like Scylla's example but a full avatar in Second Life).

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, if @Scylla Rhiadradid not answer the question to your satisfaction with her great example. I thought it was very artful.

Also, you may not be aware, but "AI aside", there was (and probably still is) a way to upload a Real Life image to a third-party (not Linden Lab) service that would create an avatar's head "shell" with your face on it.  Those were fairly primitive, but showed your "real life" image.

Thanks,

Love

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The point of my comment is this: Discussions of "AI-generated" images often become discussions about the merits of AI "Art", and get side-tracked on "what is art?" questions. I was referencing those discussions and questions.

I'm sorry if you took my response in some other way. 

I think that the very first reply to your post, by @Scylla Rhiadra, addressed your question directly. Yet, you have not replied or participated in your own interesting discussion until replying to my post. Please let us know how to engage you in your interesting discussion, so that we are not merely discussing it amongst ourselves.

Did you want to discuss the topic? Or, just reply to posts that you don't like?

Let address it this way no matter what social media platform I post on it seems like I get snarky replies and I'm quite frankly tired of the snarky replies when all I ask is just a general question maybe it's how I word the questions that prompt the Starkey replies but I think that I ask a pretty genuine question, I know I didn't post the create drama or to post to the comments that I dislike it's the mere fact that it's I never ending process it's the same thing over and over again whether it's Reddit or Tumblr, even Facebook groups or even this community I'm just quite frankly tired of the snarky rude comments, and it's quite interesting when I decide to be snarky back people tend to point it out that I'm in the wrong yet it seems other people get a pass

Since you want me to reply to the thread so basically Maybe I'm not getting my point across clearly, I am someone who has no idea about artificial intelligence that's why I created this thread in the first place to ask people of the community because somebody out there has to know something, just because I didn't reply to the first comment doesn't mean anything I didn't know that there's a particular order that I have to reply to comments so apparently that's noted, the art above that the user gave an example of that's not quite what I'm going after, basically what I was wondering in the first place was is it possible to take a virtual character that is made up of mesh and transform that character into a very realistic life like version, I thought that I clarified that in the earlier comments I'm not sure what you would like me to put down, I just thought it would be interesting late night thoughts went through my head what if we took a not real but video game like character and turned it into a hyper realistic type person the skin complexion with real hair and actual human human features, so I don't have anything to offer besides asking a simple question and reading what other people have to say because I know nothing about artificial intelligence so I figured I would leave it up to the community to put their answers and just let me clarify I just am tired of the snarky comments left on my threads and when I am snarky back and almost seems not okay, but hey it's the Internet it's the Wild Wild West I'm not going to take it personally

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the risk of repeating myself from an old thread -- how old?  I can't remember, but at least two years ago -- here's what the Art Breeder AI did with my SL avatar, making me into a "real" person again.  Neither the younger version nor the older one looks like RL me, but they share a lineage with the SL me.

Rolig3-9-2021ArtBreederComposite.jpg.40379e01e8d025f8dab596cb00a309bf.jpg982522402_Oleander1-23-2020Knightley3.png.18ca70776f90397ca4aebcc6d9cbc201.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

Let address it this way no matter what social media platform I post on it seems like I get snarky replies and I'm quite frankly tired of the snarky replies when all I ask is just a general question maybe it's how I word the questions that prompt the Starkey replies but I think that I ask a pretty genuine question, I know I didn't post the create drama or to post to the comments that I dislike it's the mere fact that it's I never ending process it's the same thing over and over again whether it's Reddit or Tumblr, even Facebook groups or even this community I'm just quite frankly tired of the snarky rude comments, and it's quite interesting when I decide to be snarky back people tend to point it out that I'm in the wrong yet it seems other people get a pass

Nope, we are discussing your topic. No snark!

Since you want me to reply to the thread so basically Maybe I'm not getting my point across clearly, I am someone who has no idea about artificial intelligence that's why I created this thread in the first place to ask people of the community because somebody out there has to know something, just because I didn't reply to the first comment doesn't mean anything I didn't know that there's a particular order that I have to reply to comments so apparently that's noted, 

The idea of a 'discussion', when brought up by an "original poster" (to a thread) is USUALLY that they intend to also participate in the discussion.  I've actually seen people post (literally), "I don't care about this topic, but maybe it would be interesting to discuss."  Sorry if I "rushed to judge" your slow replies.

So, please feel comfortable in participating or not, in your interesting discussion.  But please also be aware, that sometimes we Forum posters try to make it "more interesting" by including "humorous" posts (or attempts at humor).

the art above that the user gave an example of that's not quite what I'm going after, basically what I was wondering in the first place was is it possible to take a virtual character that is made up of mesh and transform that character into a very realistic life like version, I thought that I clarified that in the earlier comments I'm not sure what you would like me to put down, I just thought it would be interesting late night thoughts went through my head what if we took a not real but video game like character and turned it into a hyper realistic type person the skin complexion with real hair and actual human human features,

Ok. I am still curious if your desire was for a "realistic, animated avatar" IN Second Life. I assume so now, based on your answer. I thought @Scylla Rhiadra's example was quite nice and realistic, so I don't understand how that does not give a good example. Maybe because it was just a face and not an entire avatar?

Anyway, thank you for your reply and participating in the Forum.  As I often say, we learn something from everyone.

Edited to add: Sorry, now that I see your focus is on Second Life Photography - possibly you don't need "moving, animated" avatars - just static images of realistic, lifelike, "full" avatars?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

It would also be nice to help the people that think "u" is a word. ;) 

Peeve: Hard to tell if people mean "u" as in "you", or if they intend the Greek "mu", used for example in "microfarads", a measurement of capacitance in electronic components.

But since your picture is a cat, perhaps you do mean "u" as in Greek "mu", as in "mew"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Hard to tell if people mean "u" as in "you", or if they intend the Greek "mu", used for example in "microfarads", a measurement of capacitance in electronic components.

But since your picture is a cat, perhaps you do mean "u" as in Greek "mu", as in "mew"?

In my native language U is actually a word. And you'll never believe what it means. It means "you". So it shouldn't bother me as much as it actually does. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's such an interesting topic on the cusp of several breakthroughs coming and others already made. The technology has made insane leaps in just the last months alone. For example a year back or so, Artbreeder was jaw-dropping. I loved experimenting with it but always felt it lacked fine control. Still, I managed one image with it that I really quite enjoyed. *points to my Forum Avatar and Profile Pic*.

Then Midjourney got big and yah, I experimented with that too. That already offered more control than before and I dared upload a single image to my Flickr, voicing both my curiosity and my discomfort. I kind of got lucky to be an early adopter because boy, did all of that become a toxic battlefield. Since then I have dabbled a lot more and with Stable Diffusion, the level of control has increased yet again. I'm a middling artist. I can paint things, I am pretty good at touching things up and some of the new workflows have been utterly fascinating.

Anyways, the original topic before it kind of drifted off: Can this turn Avatars into real people? I mean, what are real people? Physical world may be a good bit off but for anything digital I am giving this a few months at most. Progress has been stupid fast and even as someone that has followed the technology closely and kept up with each new paper and development, I'm just completely overwhelmed with the pace.

So here is the current publicly available tech, I'm gonna use the terms because explaining each of these would be a process long enough that half of them are already outdated by the time this post is done. Joking but it's a lot to explain so I just glance over it here.

- You can train LORA Networks on your (or a) SL character. This allows you to give Stable Diffusion models a reference as to how you want the picture to look. To be more clear: You can turn the avatar into Anime Characters, Game Art, Render stills and yes, photographs. The tech is getting close but it tends to stumble over details. There's a reason you might see a lot of hand memes lately and that's because SD struggles with that. It also occasionally trips on things like objects (such as glasses) Examples, note the sunglasses are... cursed.

mechapilotkal.thumb.png.63322bd46e3b89614048cb508d4472f6.pngkalissues.thumb.png.facf9cfc85a744c0a0e4ebfbb0dd384b.png

- You can use that to create a portrait with a good view of  a face. You can keep inpainting, tweaking and yes, photoshopping too to create a good base picture. This you can throw into a Thin-Plate-Spline-Motion-Model. You can combine that image with a video capture to transfer the face motions onto your picture, allowing your picture to move like a real person would. So far this only applies to the head. Video technology outside this in general is still very wonky as it struggles with consistency. I'm not aware of any face animation generative models yet (edit: I actually just remembered you can totally use Unreal Engine for automated face animation as a basis for the video - so you would need to feed that video into the thin plate model). Example from the Github for the thin plate model:

https://github.com/yoyo-nb/Thin-Plate-Spline-Motion-Model/blob/main/assets/vox.gif

- Now your avatar needs a voice to be a real person. Here the tech is a bit behind. Leaps have been made though and as a mute person, I'm ecstatic about them. Still, it's quite possible to use something like elevenlabs to give your avatar an actual voice. See a demo here:

https://beta.elevenlabs.io/?

- And this brings us back to the loop. For your avatar to turn into a real person, it also needs something to say and here we can use technology like chat-gpt or a local install of alpaca.cpp. These models work reasonably well at giving somewhat consistent answers. Often good enough to fool people and it's only advancing rapidly too. Like for example chat-gpt 4 is already leagues above version 3 that isn't all that old to begin with. 

So, can you let AI turn your avatar into "real people"? Almost. You can hand over reins to chat-gpt, give it a realistic picture, show face animation and give it a voice. All of these steps are still wonky and prone to failure but at a guess? Give it 6 months and we're in for interesting times (What's the curse again? May you live in interesting times?)

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 1