The bot war is over and the bot farmers have won :-(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

It is catchy, not quite right but I was too lazy to look for a paranoia song dealing with generalized paranoia.  I was going to go with the one below, but also this one likewise did not quite fit.

I like Flagpole Sitta a lot more though.

How about "Institutionalized"?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think that we are lucky fortunate that Bots do not in general appear to be collecting information on "Where avatar XXXX was seen".  So, they are not posting on Victual Sucrets how many times we frequent seedy venues (i.e. as Popeye mutters in pre-Hays Code cartoons, "Houses of ill repuke").

LOL, all they'd have to do is look at people's groups. Some of that stuff is just nasty~! XD

• Like 2

Payment Info does help to weed out bots, but I have a few friends who don't have info on file, so I tend to just slap them home manually when they show up. I keep radar open, and I see who is on my land at all times, I will head over to people and greet them and if they are AFK or a bot I will immediatly eject them to "home" rather than just from my land as I do human annoyances.

The downside to trying to herc bots off is that it increases the *really* annoying whole parcel whitelist orbs that attack flyers on the mainland, this is a major pet peeve of mine, flying slong at 750m up where I can't even see most of the stuff on the ground and getting instantly ejected to home by someone who wants to be left alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Setsuki Takeda said:

Payment Info does help to weed out bots, but I have a few friends who don't have info on file, so I tend to just slap them home manually when they show up. I keep radar open, and I see who is on my land at all times, I will head over to people and greet them and if they are AFK or a bot I will immediatly eject them to "home" rather than just from my land as I do human annoyances.

The downside to trying to herc bots off is that it increases the *really* annoying whole parcel whitelist orbs that attack flyers on the mainland, this is a major pet peeve of mine, flying slong at 750m up where I can't even see most of the stuff on the ground and getting instantly ejected to home by someone who wants to be left alone.

it's a landowner's right to use a zero second orb.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here.  I'm gathering from the discussion of bots on Twitter, it's a drain on the servers and bots cost the company in the long run, and that cost is passed onto us for the types of social media where there are fees.  PIOF for all everyone?  Is that the future...but starting with low cost plans according to income perhaps?

Screenshot (1737).png

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'll just leave this here.  I'm gathering from the discussion of bots on Twitter, it's a drain on the servers and bots cost the company in the long run, and that cost is passed onto us for the types of social media where there are fees.  PIOF for all everyone?  Is that the future...but starting with low cost plans according to income perhaps?

Screenshot (1737).png

I wouldn't put much stock in what Elon Musk says.

https://www.google.com/search?q=elon+musk+not+enough+population&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS963US963&oq=elon+musk+not+enough+population&aqs=chrome..69i57.9429j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Screenshot (1737).png

LL won't do that..

Elon did that because he wanted to clean up twitter from bots..

LL gets better numbers with bots showing in the count, plus if they made membership mandatory they would lose way too many actual people users..

If people were running to the door to leave because of the bots here, they might do something, but their biggest loss of accounts is more at the gate rather than the other end.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

Twitter "matters" a lot less now under Elmo that it did before, and his repeated bungling of paid verification hasn't helped.

Some folks argue that every medium worth using necessarily requires identity verification one way or another, and "payment info on file" is a cheap, somewhat effective proxy for that. If SL had started out PIOF-only, I think it would be just fine today: some folks would have refused to participate, but some others would be here now who gave up on the platform for its chaos of anonymous  infinite alt griefers. Kinda late to change now, though, because the ones who're gone aren't coming back and those of us still here somehow accept the madness—or contribute our anonymous griefer alts.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

LL won't do that..

Elon did that because he wanted to clean up twitter from bots..

LL gets better numbers with bots showing in the count, plus if they made membership mandatory they would lose way too many actual people users..

If people were running to the door to leave because of the bots here, they might do something, but their biggest loss of accounts is more at the gate rather than the other end.

Elon did it because he had to create a scapegoat (among other things) to try and excuse his way out of an acquisition he never really wanted to make (among attempting to excuse many, many other things).

When that did not work out, he went through with said acquisition and doubled down on his rhetoric.

Frankly this entire thread is an oh so lovely study point for a similar enough phenomena ...

And frankly yes, people are being paranoid.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Screenshot (1737).png

What it mostly means is that Elon Musk through his own antics, was forced to purchase a platform at an outrageous price.  When he continued his antics, in the name of freeze peach, advertisers started to leave the platform  and it is costing him a fortune.  He is passing the cost onto his fan base, with the equally outrageous hope that he can balance the books to save himself from going broke and the platform being shut down.

8 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Frankly this entire thread is an oh so lovely study point for a similar enough phenomena ...

It's all too easy to say that people are paranoid because then you don't have to discuss anything nor listen to anyone's other point of view.

I never said anything about public data in this thread, however another poster accused me of being paranoid about public data which I never talked about at all.

What I said was:  the bots published false data about merchants incomes and presented it as true.  Merchants incomes are NOT public data even if it were true, not false.  I also said you have to opt out instead of opt in to where they admittedly said they will keep your username if you make contact to opt out.  Which is frankly screwy, imo.

One SLer has said she has a bot land in her house every day.  I guess she needs to move then, and it's put on her.  I don't like that idea of how one could land in my house every day.  I don't see that as paranoid but I see that as a nuisance and disturbing the peace.  

Plus, people are choosing to put PIOF only to keep out bots which is interfering with flying and boating.  Although I've heard there will be another way to keep out bots other than putting PIOF but that it's a few months away yet.  

I have no adult profiles nor picks in any of my accounts so it doesn't affect me the same way as others.  However, I have friends who go to adult places so they feel some of their freedom is squelched.  However, they need to speak for themselves about that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Elon did it because he had to create a scapegoat (among other things) to try and excuse his way out of an acquisition he never really wanted to make (among attempting to excuse many, many other things).

When that did not work out, he went through with said acquisition and doubled down on his rhetoric.

I'm just going by what is in the twitter post that was posted, not what the media told me he did.. I don't keep up with twitter or him or any of the garbage medias.. hehehe

Then took that and gave my opinion of how i believe LL would react..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

A bit of paranoia on the Internet is always a good thing though, as long as we can keep it civil and not start accusing all bot users of having malicious intentions it is good to know just what is possible through the use of bots or other tools people can use to take advantage of you. 

With that said..

/me puts on tinfoil hat

Your reply was exactly what I would expect from a bot!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It's all too easy to say that people are paranoid because then you don't have to discuss anything nor listen to anyone's other point of view.

I never said anything about public data in this thread, however another poster accused me of being paranoid about public data which I never talked about at all.

What I said was:  the bots published false data about merchants incomes and presented it as true.  Merchants incomes are NOT public data even if it were true, not false.  I also said you have to opt out instead of opt in to where they admittedly said they will keep your username if you make contact to opt out.  Which is frankly screwy, imo.

One SLer has said she has a bot land in her house every day.  I guess she needs to move then, and it's put on her.  I don't like that idea of how one could land in my house every day.  I don't see that as paranoid but I see that as a nuisance and disturbing the peace.  

Plus, people are choosing to put PIOF only to keep out bots which is interfering with flying and boating.  Although I've heard there will be another way to keep out bots other than putting PIOF but that it's a few months away yet.  

I have no adult profiles nor picks in any of my accounts so it doesn't affect me the same way as others.  However, I have friends who go to adult places so they feel some of their freedom is squelched.  However, they need to speak for themselves about that.  

That's nice.

Did I directly mention you as being one of them? No? Then perhaps don't make an assumption hmm?

The reality (and truth of the matter) is often rather painful and one some do not like to admit.

Point blank: The data that was presented was never presented as an actual tally of merchant income. Never. Anyone taking it that way ... Well that is on them.

The data that was presented with regard to those figures is public facing data (sorry, no amount of claiming otherwise makes it private).

Bots landing in your parcel on a daily basis? Use the available tools (which includes security scripts) to manage it.

PIOF interfering with flying and boating? Oh noes!

Without strict enforcement concerning Scripted Agent status being properly marked, there's not a single thing Linden Lab can do to truly keep actual bad actors from doing what they do. Tighten it down? Congrats, you've given some griefer types a new weapon to use, especially if Linden Lab adopts a "shoot first and maybe ask questions later" approach.

This is a "problem" that has existed for quite a long time, with the same methods to combat it which have worked well enough. If you're going to be concerned, focus on the ones that don't have a flashy website, that don't tell you anything whatsoever. Be concerned about the ones using this kerfluffle as a handy cover to annoy and grief others (as has already happened to at least one other user here).

ETA: As far as the Adult Picks and such go? Well if one is that concerned why in the world would you put them into your profile to begin with? They are publicly viewable even if you've opted to not show in LL's own Search!

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.