Underwear clipping through clothes

ixxLe Giano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone,

I got an annoying problem. Every single lingerie is clipping through my clothes, see photo below. I have a maitreya mesh body 5.3; no underwear layer; no "bakes on mesh" -> when activated most of my body is invisible. It doesn't matter what kind of Shirt, dress or sweater I am wearing, almost everything has the problem.

Sure I can use the underwear layer with the Zaara lingerie applier but I don't like it and I really want to wear other lingerie.

Maybe there is an easy fix for my problem but I just can't see it. Hopefully someone of you can help me.

Or is it because the lingerie I bought has the orange box icon like my clothes?

iy4W9oT.jpg

Use BOM lingerie.  You only need the other maitreya layers if you're using appliers.  

ETA...turn BOM on for the body and take off the alpha layer.  

And yes, an orange box means it's mesh and generally won't just fit under other mesh.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ixxLe Giano said:

Okay, BOM lingerie works but the head skin and body skin doesn't match anymore.

And I dont get why most of the things are mesh when you cannot wear them together. 😄

Mesh clothing has always been like this unless an item is specifically rigged to be worn under another specific.item.

If your head skin and body skin are no longer matching, it could be several different reasons.  Is it a mesh head?  Which one?  Is it set to BOM?  Are the head and body skins from different stores?

31 minutes ago, ixxLe Giano said:

Okay, BOM lingerie works but the head skin and body skin doesn't match anymore.

And I dont get why most of the things are mesh when you cannot wear them together. 😄

It's because things are usually made in sets if they are meant to go together.. Just like each mesh body is made different and you have to wear things made for that certain body, so is each mesh item..

You can get some things that can fit under other things, but not always. It takes some hunting and trying demos to see if they do.. Always demo before you buy anything..If the stores doesn't have any demos ,don't by from them.. No demo no buy..

• Like 1

Getting a mesh bra to work with a mesh top is a problem. Those that do work have both bras and tops made by the same designer. The complication is in where the designer put each vertex and the weight assigned to each vertex. It is a LOT of numbers that have to match up. Only if you have both the top and bra available during design can one make it work.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Mesh clothing has always been like this unless an item is specifically rigged to be worn under another specific.item.

If your head skin and body skin are no longer matching, it could be several different reasons.  Is it a mesh head?  Which one?  Is it set to BOM?  Are the head and body skins from different stores?

It's the EvoX Kaya head. 

I think I get it now. When I'm turning BOM for maitreya on then my Glam Affair Body Skin in Caramel is active, right? And the color from the head and body skin is different. 

I have to look for the right body skin...

54 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's because things are usually made in sets if they are meant to go together.. Just like each mesh body is made different and you have to wear things made for that certain body, so is each mesh item..

You can get some things that can fit under other things, but not always. It takes some hunting and trying demos to see if they do.. Always demo before you buy anything..If the stores doesn't have any demos ,don't by from them.. No demo no buy..

Oh yes, I'm always trying the demo first otherwise I would be broke, haha.

16 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Getting a mesh bra to work with a mesh top is a problem. Those that do work have both bras and tops made by the same designer. The complication is in where the designer put each vertex and the weight assigned to each vertex. It is a LOT of numbers that have to match up. Only if you have both the top and bra available during design can one make it work.

Okay, thanks for the advise.

It's a real bummer that I can't wear those lingerie. I didn't find many BOM lingerie so far and I always looked for mesh...

Edited by ixxLe Giano
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ixxLe Giano said:

It's the EvoX Kaya head. 

I think I get it now. When I'm turning BOM for maitreya on then my Glam Affair Body Skin in Caramel is active, right? And the color from the head and body skin is different. 

I have to look for the right body skin...

The place where you got your head skin may have body skins to match.  If you are just using the skin that came with the head, I don't recall where those are from but they folder may contain neck blenders.

30 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The place where you got your head skin may have body skins to match.  If you are just using the skin that came with the head, I don't recall where those are from but they folder may contain neck blenders.

Yes, I got the right skin color. 

Thanks to all of you for your help. I tried to fix it for like 3 days...

🙂

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

This sounds complicated.  I'll just stay furry.

We've got our own sets of problems! I'm embarrassed to say just how long I've apparently been running around without any mouth textures on.😳Only found out when I finally got my deer a face AO. Eep!

3 hours ago, ixxLe Giano said:

I got an annoying problem. Every single lingerie is clipping through my clothes, see photo below.

Yup, this is definitely a thing. The good news is, if you like the style of clothing where you can have a bra or bra top on underneath, you've got plenty of options. Some creators make tops and dresses and sets complete with a mesh bra that fits under it, so it'll show and fit properly with the outfit.

Try these stores: Vision, Tachinni, Blueberry, Addams, Candy Kitten, Kaithleen's, Mug, Caboodle, Nanika, and Seniha. There are likely a lot more, but those are the ones I remember that make some nice outfits with bras included that show straps, at the very least. Some quite a bit more.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think a lot of mesh lingerie is meant to be worn without anything over it, anyway. System layers or BoM if you wanna wear stuff under form-fitting clothes. Or just go commando, and avoid all G-rated sims. It'd be nice though if people who made mesh lingerie made BoM versions to go with other clothing items. I mean within reason, of course. Some stuff wouldn't look right all flattened out.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

Tetra has a group gift of BOM lingerie in quite a few colors (bra, corset, panties) that I rely on heavily.  The group fee is 50L, but you also get a few more gifts.   I almost always have a pair of those panties on because pervs are known to derender mesh clothing to get their jollies.  

Friday has some BOM layering tanks in multiple color combinations.  Riot has a pack of tank tops in a gajillion colors in three types (short crop, mid crop, and long).  

You'll probably run into issues with mesh tops clashing with mesh bottoms. Unless you buy full sets of tops & bottoms together, this will happen. This is why I recommend stocking up on a supply of BOM pants/leggings.  I have some from Mooh, Gawk, and C'est la vie.  Baby Monkey also has BOM layer clothing.  C'est la vie is often in weekend sales. 

41 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I almost always have a pair of those panties on because pervs are known to derender mesh clothing to get their jollies.

Or, alternately, one can wear Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's face as a tattoo. Just saying, we have many options. Me, I have alphas for everything.

If I don't have one for something, I make one. Heck, some of my longer dresses, I just alpha out my whole lower body.

Anything to annoy the upskirters and denuders of the unwary. ^-^ Hope they enjoy their view of the girl with the invisible bits.

I do like a lot of the BoM underclothing out there, though. A lot more designers these days know how to work with the SL UV map and its idiosyncrasies, and not have their seams mismatch and their spaghetti straps go all crookedy. If at a glance it doesn't look like a free system layer from 2009, it's passable, IMO.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

I am constantly looking for combinations of fitmesh clothing and underwear that work together. The brand of underwear that I have found that works best under clothing is Style PH. Their underwear works under more clothing than other brands, it seems to me.  It seems to fit closer to the (Maitreya) avatar surface.  In addition, they have some clothing in their store that works perfectly with their underwear.

• Like 1

Unless the lingerie is made to go with the outfit or what you're wearing is generously sized, mesh lingerie is generally a no go for the reason you've shown. for everyday wear I only use BoM I have some nice sets from Glitzz, as an aside if you do use BoM which not enough people do based on my observations if someone does derender your clothes or you take time to render to someone you won't have your bits on full display. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:22 PM, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I almost always have a pair of those panties on because pervs are known to derender mesh clothing to get their jollies. 

This is a thing?? I had no idea. Like, why? Wow, just wow.

Also, for the OP, there are also amazing pantyhose, stockings etc in BoM at many places that then work with clothing perfectly.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

I was thinking about this long standing problem and couldn't it be solved by the viewer?

I know there's probably big technical reasons why this would be a mess but some sort of priority system for a vertex, say the outer layer of clothing (a top or a coat or even a bra if it was worn alone) has some sort of visibility priority that makes everything under it invisible.

Wouldn't that solve clipping? of course anything new would require clothes that cared about it so it wouldn't be backwards compatible.

edit: just realized this would break transparency, never mind

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

Izzie's has BOM tanks and stuff, or they did. Haven't checked in a while.

If you are worried about upskirters or people derendering your clothes you can always alpha out body parts  and then not worry about lingerie . 

when there was standard sizing,  and people made more separates that were separate rather than as all attached you could sometimes get away with wearing a smaller size of , say , a top, and then a larger size jacket or cardigan. I used to do that to mix things around but with between everything being all attached and the inability to resize clothes you can't do that. It takes a lot of the creativity and fun out of clothes for me. Mesh is wonderful, I am not saying we should go back to pre mesh days, but before mesh  it was easier to take a part dresses or and there was lots of things you could modify , so you could resize a skirt or something...well depending on how it was textured. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.