You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't understand why LL don't make surnames (cognomen, last names, whatever ...) available forever once they make them available. Status so the oldies can show off? How hard would it be to just keep them available?

And to follow up on @Kimmi Zehetbauer's point ... you should get to pick a free proper last name one time after your first 30 days in SL. Charging people to get rid of "Resident" means less personalization hence less fun.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

And to follow up on @Kimmi Zehetbauer's point ... you should get to pick a free proper last name one time after your first 30 days in SL. Charging people to get rid of "Resident" means less personalization hence less fun.

Reminds me of the old AOHell sign up --- accounts with name like "Kimmi8675309" or something.

22 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

And I wish they would do that again instead of charging customers fees to dump the "Resident" name.

There needs to be two options when creating a new account.

• Free. Just like it is now.
  • Head Start - Pay $15. Get to pick a last name, L$ 1000 to start your adventure and that's all, no premium perks.

The "Head Start" option stays alive for an accounts first 30 days, and LL push this aggressively in email and in world messaging.

Easy way to get new people in the door with a name and money to spend. 

Great for oldbies who want a new name but balk at the price or strings (they will immediately need to buy more L$ and run off shopping to equip an avatar, reinvigorated and excited for a fresh start).

@Linden Lab

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

• Head Start - Pay $15. Get to pick a last name, L$ 1000 to start your adventure and that's all, no premium perks.

The "Head Start" option stays alive for an accounts first 30 days, and LL push this aggressively in email and in world messaging.

This I like lots.

And can we ever get some common, i.e., RL last names, rather than ones that sound like a cutesy name a five year old would invent from a book of fairy tales, or a p0rn stars last name?

Lee, Smith, Jones, Chen, Li, Wang, Martin, Garcia, Williams, Rodríguez, Muller, etc?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

This I like lots.

And can we ever get some common, i.e., RL last names, rather than ones that sound like a cutesy name a five year old would invent from a book of fairy tales, or a p0rn stars last name?

Lee, Smith, Jones, Chen, Li, Wang, Martin, Garcia, Williams, Rodríguez, Muller, etc?

And don't forget Squatpump.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

This I like lots.

Bueller, Bueller....Bueller

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Head Start - Pay $15. Get to pick a last name, L$ 1000 to start your adventure and that's all, no premium perks.

This is one of the best "new account" ideas I've seen.

If "mobile only" takes off, I bet LL will have to offer something like this.

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Head Start - Pay $15. Get to pick a last name, L$ 1000 to start your adventure and that's all, no premium perks.

This is one of the best "new account" ideas I've seen.

My last name in world is resident, in world using the Linden viewer I never see anyones' last name including mine. I never see resident ever. Why would I want to purchase a last name that someone else uses that I never see? Why would I pay for that being new? I would not. I still would not. If anything they will pay 15$ and then realize they do not get to customize their last name and have to pick from list and get upset. It's common that the first name change is free. 

For under 6.00USD$ I can purchase 1000 Lindens. 

I would be urked if I was new and spent 15 bucks, received lindens, went off and mistakingly purchased a skin for an avatar thinking I was purchasing the actual avatar for 1000$ and i'm screwed. You know how many times I purchased older system avatars & skins that looked like mesh via great photoshopping adverts?, more times than I care to remember. 

Maybe if I paid 15$ one time like a DLC type deal to gain access to official free content region that is contantly updated and designed with care, meaning something other than an empty region with a kiosk with claim your free gift sign (seems way dated). It does not look like anyone cared to make the free gift area for being premium special, it looks abandoned, even the thumbnails. I'm for preserving embracing history but sometimes somethings need to be updated. Remember how cool it was to go into an Ikea store for the first time, it could be similar to that experience. This could be a place all users have access to but to gain access to the premium levels users have to meet conditions. 

Or smaller Linden/Mole shops located in every theme. Each theme could have their own special objects, seasonal objects, specials. To avoid becoming stale content must be added regularly; building and abandoning is not going to get traffic. This would be a great opportunity to introduce new users to Bellisseria. "Ohh I can get a free sofa and other furnishings? Where will I put all my new stuff?

I had help islands little shop when I started, I dressed with the objects in it and then someone felt sorry for me and pointed me in direction of free stuff.

I don't understand why things are the way they are, why do they give the impression that they do not update their program? Primitive. I'm getting the feeling that everytime something advanced comes along it's blocked by a vow of remaining primitive? Red flags go up for me if something so advanced is hiding behind something so primitive.  

I agree with Coffee Pancake getting $L in hands of new users to play with will only help SL economy grow. Ages ago someone gave me 100L and before I knew it I was 25L short for something I wanted and then added my banking info and started purchasing L$.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, benchthis said:

Why would I want to purchase a last name that someone else uses that I never see?

Resident is not actually included anymore when seen inworld.  When it was first implemented, you'd see tons of Soandso Resident or Thatgirl Resident.  Now, anyone without a Legacy last name or purchased last name is simply, Soandso or Thatgirl (althjough, technically still Resident).

My original name was RowanMinx Resident.  You would only SEE RowanMinx.  Since purchasing a last name, if you did see me inworld, you'd see Rowan Amore.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, benchthis said:

My last name in world is resident, in world using the Linden viewer I never see anyones' last name including mine. I never see resident ever. Why would I want to purchase a last name that someone else uses that I never see? Why would I pay for that being new? I would not. 

That's an interesting point.  I, personally, have HIDE names including my own.  I don't like the clutter on my screen of name tags showing above people's heads.  So, names are off, all the time.  

It is a good idea for people who want to be alts though but it could confuse newbies.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Resident is not actually included anymore when seen inworld.  When it was first implemented, you'd see tons of Soandso Resident or Thatgirl Resident.  Now, anyone without a Legacy last name or purchased last name is simply, Soandso or Thatgirl (althjough, technically still Resident).

My original name was RowanMinx Resident.  You would only SEE RowanMinx.  Since purchasing a last name, if you did see me inworld, you'd see Rowan Amore.  

Thanks, I kind of like the one name for me. I do see resident if I travel to a region that logs visitors on a board, it's kind of cringe. You were able to change your first name at the time your last name was added?

18 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That's an interesting point.  I, personally, have HIDE names including my own.  I don't like the clutter on my screen of name tags showing above people's heads.  So, names are off, all the time.  

It is a good idea for people who want to be alts though but it could confuse newbies.  

I toggle names on and off from time to time too. I've noticed lag with names visible in crowded areas, that's why I mainly have names turned off most of the time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, benchthis said:

I toggle names on and off from time to time too. I've noticed lag with names visible in crowded areas, that's why I mainly have names turned off most of the time. 

Mine are just off all the time but I hang with the same crowd mostly and am not looking to be part of any SL "meat market".  I'm here for building and friends period.  Oh, and chit-chat, variety chat.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Resident is not actually included anymore when seen inworld.

Depends on the viewer settings you can see the "resident" part just fine.

55 minutes ago, benchthis said:

You were able to change your first name at the time your last name was added?

You can/could always change either first, last or both names when you pay for the name change.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, benchthis said:

in world using the Linden viewer I never see anyones' last name including mine.

Viewer settings.  The only last names that I don't see are 'Resident'. I see all of the other last names, as well as everyone's Display Name - because that is my preference in my settings.

2 hours ago, benchthis said:

Why would I pay for that being new? I would not.

You would not -- others might.  Everyone has their own view of what is important and what is worth money.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Great for oldbies who want a new name but balk at the price or strings (they will immediately need to buy more L$ and run off shopping to equip an avatar, reinvigorated and excited for a fresh start).

@Linden Lab

YES!!!!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.