What's the best TV?

Dazzer01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks.

I've tried several TVs in SL but none of them seem to be quite right for what I want. I'm looking for a large TV on a stand (with feet) that can be resized, preferably doesn't require a router, has YouTube and/or a browser, displays videos at the correct aspect ratio, high resolution, high quality and smooth playback.

If anyone knows what TV would be best for what I want then I'd much appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Darren

The way TVs work in SL, is just the same as the internal web browser.  You can create a prim and simply change the texture from material to media, and it will become a functional TV, which is what I usually do.  In addition, you can place that prim over the screen of any existing TV in SL and have whatever look you want.  A lot of TVs on the marketplace, charge a ton of linden for what you can essentially create, and they don't offer any other features.  Some of the TVs provide access to pirated shows/movies, on their own websites that have the default URL set,  but the service is not actually part of the TV itself and you could get in trouble by your ISP by pirating various movies.

Here is a wiki from second life that shows you how to create your own TVs.

Essentially, if youtube is not playing smoothly on a TV for you in second life, it is not going to play smoothly no matter which TV you purchase.  It is all using the same methodology to bring video to you viewer.  There are no scripts involved when it comes to displaying media in SL, I believe it is simply a texture that the viewer renders as a website for you.  Your connection speed, and experience is all reliant upon your computer and internet connection.

Edit:
The reason I am sharing all of this with you, is so you don't end up wasting a lot of money purchasing different TVs with the expectation of having a TV that streams videos better than others you have tried.  Also, so you don't end up in trouble with your ISP for piracy if you happen to see any that offer you free movies, which could just be pirated and hosted on a website.

Also, be careful with some of the TVs out there.  I could see them easily getting access to your various accounts for emails, hulu, netflix, social media, etc by having you go through their own websites to log into these services.  All the more reason just to create your own TV.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I don't know which tv's/brands you've already tried but the one I have rezzed inworld is by VEA I'm happy with the quality of the interface and smoothness of playback 

Thanks very much Claireschen. That's exactly what I asked for but since Istelathis mentioned making my own I've decided to do that instead.

Hi Istelathis. Thanks very much for the excellent advice. I just created my own simple TV fairly quickly and easily after following the shared media wiki you linked for me. I still have one problem though: I can be watching a YouTube video and my friend who's sitting next to me, looking at my TV can just see the YT homepage without a video playing. This suggests that for me at least the media isn't shared at all. How would I overcome this?

Thanks again.

Darren

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memyselfandi2 said:

I can be watching a YouTube video and my friend who's sitting next to me, looking at my TV can just see the YT homepage without a video playing.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work this way.  You would need to give your friend the URL through chat, and they would have to paste it in the address bar, even doing it this way though the video would not be sync'd so you would not be sharing the video at the same exact time.  One way to bypass this, would be to use a service that streams videos, I think Kosmi may be a popular one that people use for youtube.

https://app.kosmi.io/

You would create a room, and set the URL to the TV.  I am not very familiar with Kosmi though, I did test it and it appeared to work for me in SL.  I'll have to log in with an alt to get a better idea of how well it works.

Edit:

Using kosmi for youtube worked pretty well for me, while using an alt I was able to watch the video from both accounts and the video played at near the same time stamp, not exactly the same but pretty close.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you decide to go with Kosmi, change the default URL in the media to the channel.  When switching videos on youtube, I had to refresh the page from my alt's account to have it sync up correctly though.  

example.png.2e1510fcabe0ffc42e1d36bd4e33e017.png

Some extra functionality, if you want full screen in SL, hitting it from here works

452317862_fullscreen.png.56915cfa32d62907de517e8334b2ef5c.png

To get out of full screen, the same arrow will be in the upper right, press that.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Thanks 4

Best way to watch stuff together in SL is to tab out, go to Discord, make a group call, and have one person stream the video playback program of your choice playing whatever it is you want to watch. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

If you decide to go with Kosmi, change the default URL in the media to the channel.

Thanks so much. I used Kosmi and it works great in SL for me too. The only thing is there's a few icons at the edges of the screen in full screen mode but that's just me being fussy. I love it.

31 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Best way to watch stuff together in SL is to tab out, go to Discord, make a group call, and have one person stream the video playback program of your choice playing whatever it is you want to watch. 

Thanks Orwar. I'll try that as well.

Darren

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I don't know which tv's/brands you've already tried but the one I have rezzed inworld is by VEA I'm happy with the quality of the interface and smoothness of playback 

Is VEA still around? I thought they'd packed their bags and left a long time ago.

The HiVid TV synchs almost seamlessly to everyone's media. If the owner of the TV stops the stream it stops on everyone's. If someone comes in late it will start up where everyone is already viewing.  One of the best TV's out there. Their In-world store is set up like a blockbuster store and is super fun to go look at what movies they have. They also have given away tons of movies with their lucky chairs.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/HiVid-Smart-TV-Watch-Movies-in-sync-with-your-friends/23676793

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

The HiVid TV synchs almost seamlessly to everyone's media. If the owner of the TV stops the stream it stops on everyone's. If someone comes in late it will start up where everyone is already viewing.  One of the best TV's out there. Their In-world store is set up like a blockbuster store and is super fun to go look at what movies they have. They also have given away tons of movies with their lucky chairs.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/HiVid-Smart-TV-Watch-Movies-in-sync-with-your-friends/23676793

Thanks Sam1. This sounds like exactly what I need. I've added it to my marketplace favourites.

The TV I made myself thanks to Istelathis which uses Kosmi is good but I'm still slightly distracted by the full screen icons. I tried using Discord but got in a muddle with it and gave up quite quickly.

I haven't bought the HiVid TV yet simply because it says the YouTube app on it is coming soon.

54 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

The HiVid TV synchs almost seamlessly to everyone's media. If the owner of the TV stops the stream it stops on everyone's. If someone comes in late it will start up where everyone is already viewing.

One of my tenants had a HiVid (or possibly something similar from another service provider) and yes, it's really cool. But no, it does not sync to everyone's media. Streamed media is synced but that is true for all SL TVs and all web browsers. What makes HiVid different is that they have their own pay-per-minute streaming channel. There is still no way to sync regular YouTube videos or anything like that in SL or elsewhere on the internet.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

When I tried using Kosmi on the TV I made it worked ok with my main and my alt simultaneously, but when I tried it with my main and a friend of mine it didn't work for her at all. While I was watching a video her's was just continually loading/buffering and there's nothing wrong with her internet connection because other things work fine.

I tried an actual Kosmi TV I found on the MP but of course it didn't work properly either.

Several years ago I clearly remember watching a TV in SL that was owned by another friend of mine with her and she had it on YT. Both she and I were able to use the TV but if she was using it and I tried to use it for example a message would appear saying that she's using the TV at the moment and would I like to take control. It was obviously the same vice versa. Also when she was using the TV I could see what she was doing on it and vice versa. It was properly shared media and although it probably wasn't in good sync it was still very adequate. Whatever happened to this sort of thing in SL? It seems to be a thing of the past now.

Edit: There was just one instance of the TV session for all, rather than one for each person if you know what I mean. So it was like it would be in RL: When someone changes a TV channel it's changed for whoever else is watching it too.

Edited by memyselfandi2
Additional information

6 hours ago, memyselfandi2 said:

When I tried using Kosmi on the TV I made it worked ok with my main and my alt simultaneously, but when I tried it with my main and a friend of mine it didn't work for her at all. While I was watching a video her's was just continually loading/buffering and there's nothing wrong with her internet connection because other things work fine.

I tried an actual Kosmi TV I found on the MP but of course it didn't work properly either.

Several years ago I clearly remember watching a TV in SL that was owned by another friend of mine with her and she had it on YT. Both she and I were able to use the TV but if she was using it and I tried to use it for example a message would appear saying that she's using the TV at the moment and would I like to take control. It was obviously the same vice versa. Also when she was using the TV I could see what she was doing on it and vice versa. It was properly shared media and although it probably wasn't in good sync it was still very adequate. Whatever happened to this sort of thing in SL? It seems to be a thing of the past now.

Edit: There was just one instance of the TV session for all, rather than one for each person if you know what I mean. So it was like it would be in RL: When someone changes a TV channel it's changed for whoever else is watching it too.

My TV works like this. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVEN-SX-Smart-HDTV-MediaSL-5/7883981#

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Juan Marques said:

ehm.. no, thats a specific product promotion :) 

I don't know what you mean 😅. I thought he was looking for that product. I have it in my house now. It work like that. Myself and my mates can see the same thing on the screen and take turns picking the vid

Edited by SorachaNicEoghain
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WinkyLand said:

Restricting sounds to my parcel dosnt seem to stop me from hearing this shared media on an adjacent parcel, even one that is on adjacent region. I dont want to bug my neighbors, is there a way to stop them from hearing whats playing on my media?

image.png.380d0775479dfa3e7ad635ebc9963245.png

This was impossible for years, so maybe it's not in every viewer yet. (That happens to be the latest Firestorm in the screenshot above, but I think it's in every contemporary Linden viewer too.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

Thanks so much Soracha. It actually works! I've only tried it with my main + alt so far but I'm guessing it's gonna be fine.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

image.png.380d0775479dfa3e7ad635ebc9963245.png

This was impossible for years, so maybe it's not in every viewer yet. (That happens to be the latest Firestorm in the screenshot above, but I think it's in every contemporary Linden viewer too.)

This is useful to know Qie. Thanks for that.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2023 at 5:52 AM, ChinRey said:

One of my tenants had a HiVid (or possibly something similar from another service provider) and yes, it's really cool. But no, it does not sync to everyone's media. Streamed media is synced but that is true for all SL TVs and all web browsers. What makes HiVid different is that they have their own pay-per-minute streaming channel. There is still no way to sync regular YouTube videos or anything like that in SL or elsewhere on the internet.

as the customer relations manager at hivid i can say that this is false we dont have a pay per minute streaming channel we have movies you can buy that you can either play from the dvd or your movie library and we have apps you can buy that are a one time fee one of those apps is the kosmi app which will sync with everyone if set up correctly and most streaming services work well with it including youtube 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.