Sorry. This is not OK. B bots profile scraping.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

On that whole little thread with the thread: If you're in a skybox and have not explicitly banned an avatar, they can show up on your parcel and even fly over it.

The scripted security systems out there exist for this reason.

I was meaning if they reported a bot and it got banned like from the grid.. it's a good chance another is gonna show up..

From my understanding these bonny bots  are just landing and getting information and leaving.. if that's the case  wouldn't a set landing point make them land there rather than  where they are told to land?

11 minutes ago, TimKoul said:

So whats stopping a bot from grabbing your actual account information like email and password? 

Proper security measures already in place which have been thoroughly tested by countless entities, including companies like the one I work for.

• Like 3

Profile information as posted INSIDE Second Life is not public.

Second Life is a private members only club where you must sign up and agree to terms, conditions and privacy rules before you can enter and read this information.

Not at all public information - That's now very public in the hands of an unknown 3rd party.

There is also the issue of copyright. I have a picture in my profile that I created. I own the copy right to that image. Where who I file a DMCA claim to have that image removed from a 3rd party website?

None of this is covered in the agreements I signed up to with I joined this private members only virtual club.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

In reality, it is not - that is all there is to it. Opining otherwise won't change that.

Oh, ok. Where is the option for me to make my account status public then? I would like everyone to see that I am currently on a freebie basic plan without the need for scripting (which does seem stalkerish) to find that out.

• Haha 2

To all those who are defending these bots: there is something called as "Free will". I don't mind that data is collected, as long the user remains the right to have the free will to participate. How it's happened with these bots, your "free will to participate" went out of the door. No matter what the TOS or ROC is saying, your "free will" shouldn't be denied. If those B.bot owner had simply forwarded a link to a survey, then you as user had still the opportunity wheter or not fill in that survey. As for Linden Labs to use bots, whether from themselves or a 3rd party, I don't see the need for it as themselves are sitting on the pile of data. To end this discussion from my side, some wise words from my grandmother: A NO is something you have always in your life, a yes you might get depending how you ask for it.

3 minutes ago, TimKoul said:

Oh, ok. Where is the option for me to make my account status public then? I would like everyone to see that I am currently on a freebie basic plan without the need for scripting (which does seem stalkerish) to find that out.

Yet again: That information is available to any and everyone thanks to a script call. A script call that is in no way restricted whatsoever.

being able to script/having the time to do so or not does not alter this. It does not suddenly make that information "private".

Take it up with Linden Lab directly if you feel otherwise. The Forum is not the proper communication channel for that.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

Proper security measures already in place which have been thoroughly tested by countless entities, including companies like the one I work for.

and yet, security breaches still exist. You know 100% is unrealistic.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yet again: That information is available to any and everyone thanks to a script call. A script call that is in no way restricted whatsoever.

being able to script/having the time to do so or not does not alter this. It does not suddenly make that information "private".

Again, if its openly available for anyone to view, where is the option for me to make it publicly viewable? If its only available via a script, that makes it hidden.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Take it up with Linden Lab directly if you feel otherwise. The Forum is not the proper communication channel for that.

Available within the confines of of S/L with a registered account. Wherein the ToS does it state the information scraped by the script is allowed to be distributed outside of S/L by a resident?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TimKoul said:

Again, if its openly available for anyone to view, where is the option for me to make it publicly viewable? If its only available via a script, that makes it hidden.

No dear, it doesn't.

But do keep harping on it and pretending otherwise.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

Where in the ToS does it say data uploaded to Second Life (text and images) are public domain and can, and will, be reproduced on other 3rd party locations online.

The only trick LL missed in all this was not thinking about doing it themselves and charging for the information.

Oh wait .. they are on record saying they expressly wont do that, so .. did they mean that literally, they just wont sell the data but if you can collected it yourself it's all fine. 😂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Available within the confines of of S/L with a registered account. Wherein the ToS does it state the information scraped by the script is allowed to be distributed outside of S/L by a resident?

It says so, in terms, here:

You may not disclose personal information about another Resident, including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, and real-world location. You may not use notecards, textures, chat, IM, forums, or any other means to distribute such information. Linden Lab will attempt to delete such privacy-violating content, if possible, and will apply appropriate discipline.

Exceptions include information:

• Contained in the Resident's own profile.
  • That is patently false (for example, "Bob Avatar lives on Mars")
  • Provided via systems not controlled by Linden Lab; such systems are beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. For example, "Someone's posting Bob Avatar's address and photograph on their web page."

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Residents'_privacy_rights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Read the prior thread and the rest of this one. Show posts by anyone you may have put on Ignore. It has been covered.

I am not bothering to repost it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The forum is a proper communication channel for people to organize around the issues they want to take to LL, so they can act collectively instead of individually. And you are not a moderator.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In general, an automated process to copy lots of Avatar-related data, store it outside of SL, and importantly, make it public for everyone, with nobody having control over it, shouldn't be in the interest of SL.

If I delete a pick, I have a good chance to assume that it's gone forever. Or if I remove anything from my profile text. Because it's not impossible but unlikely that a person makes a screenshot of my profile and publishes it. However, the situation is completely different if users know that everything in their profiles WILL be published the next day on a 3rd party website they don't have control over, and if they delete anything from their profiles, it may stay there forever still. This has nothing to do with "just don't write in your profile what you don't want others to see", this is about how easy it is for users to lose control over their data and how this is perceived. It will simply make a difference when users create their profiles and KNOW that everything will get immediately copied over to a 3rd party website where everyone has access and nobody has control, and I'm not talking about data like an address or real name. That's why I'm convinced that this cannot be in the interest of Linden, cause it's not in the interest of most users.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Since it's already allowed for someone to find it in the public area of SL, I doubt you'll find where they have any rules about off site.. It's pretty much warnings about those things..

They only disallow personal information being shared without a users consent inside of  second life and forums and so on..

That is if this is still up to date and any good.. it has a 2023 copyright on it.. Not sure if that means anything really  as far as being up to date or not..

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Residents'_privacy_rights

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I just checked .. Your entire profile is visible on their site open to anyone on the internet.

It even includes your premium account status.

I'm just starting through this thread, so maybe these questions are answered already.

How the hell do they get the stuff that only Friends can see? 

How the hell do they get my Premium status?

Just now, Ezbeharra said:

The forum is a proper communication channel for people to organize around the issues they want to take to LL, so they can act collectively instead of individually. And you are not a moderator.

My being a moderator or not is irrelevant.

As for the rest - there are specific areas within the forum wherein one might be able to somewhat directly communicate with Linden Lab. This does not make it the proper channel for such a thing, let alone a feature request - which was what was being made.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

56 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Linden Lab Official:Residents' privacy rights - Second Life Wiki

Disclosing personal information

You may not disclose personal information about another Resident, including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, and real-world location. You may not use notecards, textures, chat, IM, forums, or any other means to distribute such information. Linden Lab will attempt to delete such privacy-violating content, if possible, and will apply appropriate discipline.

Exceptions include information:

Contained in the Resident's own profile.

That is patently false (for example, "Bob Avatar lives on Mars")

Provided via systems not controlled by Linden Lab; such systems are beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. For example, "Someone's posting Bob Avatar's address and photograph on their web page."

Just now, Solar Legion said:

My being a moderator or not is irrelevant.

As for the rest - there are specific areas within the forum wherein one might be able to somewhat directly communicate with Linden Lab. This does not make it the proper channel for such a thing, let alone a feature request - which was what was being made.

Wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

They are hot linking to images from LL's CDN.

Which means there is no practical recourse, this in effect makes all images uploaded into SL public domain for the duration of the service. I'm not sure photographers, artists and creators knew that when they started uploading content.

This also means we're paying for the bandwidth this site steals from the CDN.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.