profile pics new Firestorm

Alwin Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sounds kind of interesting, they could do away with the online profiles  as far as I'm concerned.. I never liked them..

Legacy Profiles: The official Second Life viewer has transitioned back to the integrated profile floater, abandoning the less-popular web profiles for the profiles we have always retained in Firestorm. Accordingly, Firestorm profiles no longer have a web profile tab. While Linden Lab’s implementation was based on the Firestorm profiles, Linden Lab changed the presentation considerably, with older features such as the “interests tab” having been removed.

Also the local mesh sounds nice for creators.

I still think I'm gonna wait for the feedback wave before I update.. That'll be showing up in about every group  come sun up..hehehehe

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I've also noticed that any old profile pics that were previously uploaded on the web now also show up on Firestorm very blurred and low-resolution, as though it's being taken from a small thumbnail instead of the original image.

I have that on the current version sometimes.. Sometimes they are fine and sometimes just blur.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shireena1 said:

Groups have gone missing from the chat tab, too, I mean just saying.

Anyway, it seem my SL fps has remarkably improved with this newest FS viewer, but I will have to test that on a busy sim to properly find out.

I had all my groups go missing last night.. I had crashed and came back on and it showed empty in my groups tab, then looked where it tells you how many you have left.. it said  0 used 70 left..   Luckily i had this happen another time and didn't freak out like the first time.. hehehe

A relog fixed it..  I guess it can happen on a crash or failed teleport..

• Like 2

Hmm, just an addition to my comment above. I actually have 2 pcs that can go on secondlife,  the one in question that had no group tab in the chat tab ( actually didn't have the group tab there at all), I did a full uninstall/reinstall of the viewer, and now it is ok. Strangely enough, the other pc just did an upgrade and it was ok. well anyway its all going well now.

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm curious, is this version running better than the last one?  I know quite a few had troubles with the last version..

Performance/fps wise it's about the same. Right click micro freeze is fixed in this one (it was really awful in the last one), some little fixes here and there, separate transparency view toggle. No reason not to upgrade. And people always going to have problems with any and all versions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, steeljane42 said:

Performance/fps wise it's about the same. Right click micro freeze is fixed in this one (it was really awful in the last one), some little fixes here and there, separate transparency view toggle. No reason not to upgrade. And people always going to have problems with any and all versions.

I was more just curious since there is a live thread about it  if anyone was noticing anything.. I've been pretty fortunate to have a good run in viewers working out well for me..

Have you noticed if the delay is gone when in the edit tools and moving things around? I know the last version was terrible.. you couldn't really do much detailed things because of lag every time you went to move something.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I was more just curious since there is a live thread about it  if anyone was noticing anything.. I've been pretty fortunate to have a good run in viewers working out well for me..

Have you noticed if the delay is gone when in the edit tools and moving things around? I know the last version was terrible.. you couldn't really do much detailed things because of lag every time you went to move something.

That's what I meant by the micro freeze. It really was quite bad. It was fixed a while ago on the FS' release candidates (before current one got promoted to be the main release), and on this release version it's all good as well. Building/editing anything was impossible like that, so I did swap to the beta FS back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I've not noticed it on the new update (it was infuriating on the previous version!). However, that's from a sample size of moving maybe 3 things around total, without the need for precision. So happy to be overruled if people are experiencing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I kind of like what they did with the mini map.. Now it shows the Sim lines as well as the lot lines.  That should help a lot with flyign and boating and driving around and so on..

You've had the option to turn on property lines for a long time, hehe. Only minimap change I noticed so far is that your camera's FOV indicator has gone cone-shaped rather than triangular. 

67616430ba6c3b97657313431a95b188.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

You've had the option to turn on property lines for a long time, hehe. Only minimap change I noticed so far is that your camera's FOV indicator has gone cone-shaped rather than triangular. 

But now they show on the minimap without showing at ground level.  I don't remember them showing on the minimap when I toggled Show Property lines on although I may be mistaken.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Neat, I wonder why it showed all of a sudden since my settings haven't changed?

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Neat, I wonder why it showed all of a sudden since my settings haven't changed?

Shrugs. A bunch of stuff seems to die or come alive on their own whenever I update FS, it's one of the reasons I don't much like doing it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Shrugs. A bunch of stuff seems to die or come alive on their own whenever I update FS, it's one of the reasons I don't much like doing it. 

Well, it is a good change for me, especially when I'm boating.. I can see the sim lines a lot better now. Nothing like a good happy accident.

Now, I wonder what will be the unhappy accident that balances things out again...hehehe

Well I'm much happier with the 1:1 profile picture but I'm pretty annoyed that LL removing the old web profiles also took away the ability to upload a 1:1 profile picture for free.

I don't like groups being under the bio text. That's weird and difficult to get used to. Maybe I'll get used to it anyway.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:11 AM, Randy Pole said:

LL went to a 1:1 aspect ratio with the new (old) profiles and FS followed suit with the most recent update so the old 6:4 aspect pics look a bit squashed yes and will have to be redone :(

You mean profile pictures will no longer have the aspect ratio of an antique monitor? Zounds! If you don't have horizontal profile pictures how can you write your name vertically at the side of your picture in a purple poster font over your swirling orange cloud background?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

Well I'm much happier with the 1:1 profile picture but I'm pretty annoyed that LL removing the old web profiles also took away the ability to upload a 1:1 profile picture for free.

I don't like groups being under the bio text. That's weird and difficult to get used to. Maybe I'll get used to it anyway.

You can upload any size picture to your profile pic for free in Firestorm.  It doesn't upload to your inventory but just your profile.  The little gear to the left of the photo...upload.

523ce669e030b223df6603dffc9b5427.png.1309ad859b265b303866722944b68872.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can upload any size picture to your profile pic for free in Firestorm.  It doesn't upload to your inventory but just your profile.  The little gear to the left of the photo...upload.

523ce669e030b223df6603dffc9b5427.png.1309ad859b265b303866722944b68872.png

I... never... knew! 🤯

I've wasted tens of lindens! TENS!!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

I... never... knew! 🤯

I've wasted tens of lindens! TENS!!!

I think it's new to firestorm but brings it up to what the LL implemented recently.

ETA...don't quote me on that.  I wasn't paying attention to when it changed either.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.