Overcoming Addiction??

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I still love Sakura :) But same with me wrt Fantasseria.  For me, too, the problem is the homes themselves.  They, and actually the Eyrie build as well, strike me as being at odds with the landscape.  The landscape is delicate and very whimsical; the builds are - well, frankly, they look to me like very solid cement structures with a stucco finish.  The stark white back wall of Eyrie looks to me like a fort from the back.  If I had to say which other theme they most resemble, I'd go with Chalets, which give me the same sort of large, stolid home feel.

I have seen some successful Fantasseria builds.  I have LMs to a couple of wonderful builds where the owner extended the landscaping into the home, making the interior into an extension of their fantasy garden.  I had a neighbor who made a Viking hall -- it is telling that big, rough Viking furniture really suited the house!  I liked a very "High Elven" house, and Aevale's "Witch" decor.  I think, in order to do a really nice Fantasseria build, you have to pick a Fantasy genre and ruthlessly adapt the house to your concept.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful, beautiful landscaping in Fantasy, but the homes were too large, too thick and too heavy, taking away from beloved outdoor space. The second problem developed over time. The teal landscape started giving me a headache. Despite that teal is a favorite color, I wanted the world to be a greener place. 

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 9

For me, the Fantasy Homes are the Lost Lands. Those regions could be trivially connected by water at many places but are constrained to a single northern entrance that is only interesting the first time you cross. The area is covered by water channels yet there is no water extending into resident parcels. You can’t have a dock with a boat. All that beautiful coastal waterway edging seems wasted. I wish they would pick up those regions and redeploy along the northern coast of the Log Homes, completing the Great Bellisseria Waterway extending from the Satori connection at Stromberg to Old Belli.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Beautiful, beautiful landscaping in Fantasy, but the homes were too large, too thick and too heavy, taking away from beloved outdoor space. The second problem developed over time. The teal landscape started giving me a headache. Despite that teal is a favorite color, I wanted the world to be a greener place. 

I have to say I agree! That terrain texture really is an eyesore to me as well. All the purple and teal, it almost looked checkered. LOL

I think it would have been a zillion times better with just normal grass, sand. The mushrooms and trees, crystals don't need the competition.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

For me, the Fantasy Homes are the Lost Lands. Those regions could be trivially connected by water at many places but are constrained to a single northern entrance that is only interesting the first time you cross. The area is covered by water channels yet there is no water extending into resident parcels. You can’t have a dock with a boat. All that beautiful coastal waterway edging seems wasted. I wish they would pick up those regions and redeploy along the northern coast of the Log Homes, completing the Great Bellisseria Waterway extending from the Satori connection at Stromberg to Old Belli.

They don't need to destroy one area you don't like much to build the area you really want. It's time they're lacking for getting all the things done at once. I know there's a lot of hate for the fantasy area on the forum, but plenty of people live there and like it. Some themes just might not be for you.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Well, like I said, I LOVE the landscaping.  And one thing about the Fantasy terrain texture, it works really well if you want to add mesh bumps etc. to your parcel.  Blends right in, unlike most grass textures.

People can like or dislike themes as they want. It's more that blaming a theme that was finished ages ago for the log coast not being done, and requesting that theme be destroyed to make way (because everyone hates it anyway), is not where it's at. It's bitterness for the sake of being bitter.

Not that I think people should blame any of the other eleventy billion projects that have happened since fantasy either. The build order is never going to please everyone.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

I know there's a lot of hate for the fantasy area on the forum, but plenty of people live there and like it. Some themes just might not be for you.

I am not a hater. Given that residents have zero input (as far as I know) into Linden Homes prior to release, it is reasonable that we be allowed to comment on the short comings after the fact so that future endeavours might not repeat the same errors. This should be a positive thing... it's called feedback. No one expects that any regions will be picked up... that comment was an attempt at irony. However, a certain mole has repeatedly said that a region must be justified financially. Given the lack of occupancy in the Lost Lands, it is reasonable to question if such a large expense is justified.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It's more that blaming a theme that was finished ages ago for the log coast not being done, and requesting that theme be destroyed to make way (because everyone hates it anyway), is not where it's at. It's bitterness for the sake of being bitter.

I must have missed something because I dont recall seeing that on this thread.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I must have missed something because I dont recall seeing that on this thread.

I said

All that beautiful coastal waterway edging seems wasted. I wish they would pick up those regions and redeploy along the northern coast of the Log Homes, completing the Great Bellisseria Waterway extending from the Satori connection at Stromberg to Old Belli.

This comment was intended as irony. While beautiful, the Fantasy Homes coast is a loop that goes nowhere and connects to nothing except the northern entrance. And Fantasy Home residents are not able to rez a boat in water on their parcels.  Many (including me) have wished that Linden Lab finish the northern log coast. Perhaps that will happen someday along with the other projects.

You are correct Teresa in that I was not blaming.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I am not a hater. Given that residents have zero input (as far as I know) into Linden Homes prior to release, it is reasonable that we be allowed to comment on the short comings after the fact so that future endeavours might not repeat the same errors. This should be a positive thing... it's called feedback. No one expects that any regions will be picked up... that comment was an attempt at irony. However, a certain mole has repeatedly said that a region must be justified financially. Given the lack of occupancy in the Lost Lands, it is reasonable to question if such a large expense is justified.

It's not the first time you've said it and you've been clear in the past that you have a thing about the fantasy area. If other people didn't notice before, they'll remember the next time.

A theme not being full doesn't mean it's a failure. It means they got the number of houses about right, as there were enough for the initial demand and room for future growth without needing to build more. Which should be good news for you, because it means they focused on things like making sure there were enough houseboats and making the continent links. There's a lot of stuff that's been added for people who like sailing and no reason to think they won't end up completing the coastline.

• Like 4

It is my fault for bringing it up (that fantasy and sakura stopped appealing to me)... sorry. But since this thread is about the addiction side of owning multiple belli homes,  could we please change our focus back to the theme of the thread?

And again, I do apologize for making that comment.. it was off topic and it is causing folks to react.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Here we are 6 months later and I never reached my goal of 2 homes. In fact I had gotten back up to 6 and just recently got myself back down to 4. In all fairness, a new release (Ranches) came out, so that made it harder.

My new goal is to try not to go above 4.

Edited by Teresa Firelight
  • Like 5

My two cents: As long as it is all out of the entertainment budget, and it is not interfering with paying other important RL bills, running ones household, pension fund etc. Who cares? Your world your imagination.
If the SL budget is de facto too high.... downgrade completely, step away from the keyboard and let SL rest for at least half a year.
At least, that is what I would do. Mileages vary of course.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Writing is mostly editing.
  • Like 6

Haven't read this thread closely but got the idea.

Wanted to mention that I had a friend in Opensim several years ago (maybe a decade now) who told me he had spent enough in SL over a few years to buy a real life house.  In retrospect he was not happy about that and did leave. Pretty difficult to spend much in Opensim :D. 

He built his own grid (free) and made his own environment sometimes buying items from others and downloading lots of free content -- and there is a fair amount of gifted items (not stolen) in OS. He seemed to be much happier.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why not spend your kids' potential inheritance on Second Life? Screw them!! And if your spouse doesn't like it? Divorcee, baby!!

That is pretty much what an addiction, any addiction, can do with a person.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Here we are 6 months later and I never reached my goal of 2 homes. In fact I had gotten back up to 6 and just recently got myself back down to 4. In all fairness, a new release (Ranches) came out, so that made it harder.

My new goal is to try not to go above 4.

One possible solution that may work for you is to purchase a multi rezzer to store all of the items of homes you have decorated.  You would no longer need to have multiple accounts to enjoy various themes, instead you could have just one account hopping to different themes, and when the desire strikes you can use your rezzer to restore previous builds.

If this really is an addiction, which is causing problems in your life, and you feel powerless over it then I would suggest a therapist, and I am not saying this in any way which is meant to be demeaning or dismissive.  In such a scenario, it would help to have someone who is qualified to assist you in finding the cause of this addiction and treating it in a way that can help you. 

On the other hand, if this is more so just a playful thread and it is not having a negative impact on your life, then enjoy it :) So long as you are having fun, I don't think you should worry too much or feel bad about it.  If I had the spare money, I would probably purchase a region in SL perhaps even a few just to decorate and have fun with.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Istelathis said:

If this really is an addiction, which is causing problems in your life, and you feel powerless over it then ...

On the other hand, if this is more so just a playful thread and it is not having a negative impact on your life, then enjoy it :)

Oh is is a playful thread. Sales from my hair store help offset the cost of the extra premium accounts.

But it *really* is hard to get down below 4. I am sure that if finances forced me, I could make the cut. But without anyth8ing actually pressing me, that is hard to do.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

In case it helps @Teresa Firelight: I haven't been able to spend much time online in the last months, because of some health and sight issues. Being away from the computer and just visiting SL from time to time, has given me some distance from the many LHs I've collected since 2019, appreciating just the ones I really enjoy.

I'm down to just three 1024sqm homes and I've even tossed my little camper, that was almost empty for a year, but that I was keeping because I was emotionally attached to it (a good friend used to call it my Holy Grial). I might eventually keep just my old Trad, that is glued to my alt, and a new Victorian I'm totally in love with. 

So, try to spend more time in RL, so you can look at SL from a total different perspective. I'm not leaving SL, but I look at things in a very different light now.

Edited by Elena Blossom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:18 PM, Elena Blossom said:

The main reason why I stay in Bellisseria is the covenant;

At this point Bellisseria is just nicer and more spacious for the things I enjoy doing in the tiny amount of time I'm not hiding on my own plot.

Ie: for sailing, riding, driving - the best roads and water ways and paths are in Bellisseria.

I just got a houseboat in the area that can reach up to Blake Sea so the other day I looked at my sailing options if I went up to Blake or down into Belli and Blake Sea just looks so unappealing by comparison. 

When I sail through Belli I don't get spammed by random messages from nearby scanners on parcels, don't get random group invites to somebody's shop, don't USUALLY have things jutting out of a parcel blocking the waterway (and if I do I can AR them and watch the AR be ignored while feeling like I achieved something), and don't have the maturity rating randomly flipping every other region.

Also don't have to deal with giant 64m tall glowing walls or worse... ;)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 4

I have one house in Bellessaria, a beach house I got the first day Bellesaria opened. No desire for more. It's the tiniest Traditional, set up with surfboards, lounges for watching the sunset, and beach house type furniture.

My main place is the big workshop/store in Zindra. That's where I usually am.

For no good reason, other than having some unused tier, I bought a small, rather nice looking roadside parcel in Corsica. All I have there is a shed with a spare motorcycle, and an NPC to keep an eye on things.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.