Overcoming Addiction??

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Overcoming addiction -- is it possible??

Owning nice Bellisseria Homes can become an addiction for me. At one point I had 11 houses... all of them in nice-ish locations. That is way too much for one person. I end up hardly visiting most of them on any given day. But when I go to one to think about tossing it... I see how nice it is and think to myself "I cant toss this."

I have been trying to cut back for months now... and had finally gotten down to five ... still too many, but hard to give up. Then they released the new style houseboats and I landed a lovely location on my first roll. That brought me back up to six.

I plan to toss two of them as the alts expire in a couple of months. That will bring me down to four... which is still more than I need. (I also have a mainland parcel that I love and I spend most of my time there when I am not out/about other parts of Second LIfe.)

So what is the secret to getting oneself down to a small number... say two??

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I let my camper go last month, so now I'm down to 3.

One of them  has to go to (it will be the houseboat, when that premium ends), a stilt and a log are enough for me. I also have mainland and a rental in a island (small place that I love). It is enough. But it is always hard to let the houses go :)

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Overcoming addiction -- is it possible??

Owning nice Bellisseria Homes can become an addiction for me. At one point I had 11 houses... all of them in nice-ish locations. That is way too much for one person. I end up hardly visiting most of them on any given day. But when I go to one to think about tossing it... I see how nice it is and think to myself "I cant toss this."

I have been trying to cut back for months now... and had finally gotten down to five ... still too many, but hard to give up. Then they released the new style houseboats and I landed a lovely location on my first roll. That brought me back up to six.

I plan to toss two of them as the alts expire in a couple of months. That will bring me down to four... which is still more than I need. (I also have a mainland parcel that I love and I spend most of my time there when I am not out/about other parts of Second LIfe.)

So what is the secret to getting oneself down to a small number... say two??

It sounds like greed of the nice spots 

I've been downsizing for months now ... my partner and I had a bunch of alts, all on yearly renewal.  I have noticed two things:

1.  If I really liked the build, I do a photostudy before leaving, that seems to help.  But even if I don't, once I let a property go, I don't miss it.  But I still have 6 homes, aiming to get down to 3.

2.  I used to let properties go a couple months before an avatar's renewal date, so I could hop around with them. In November I noticed that I was actually resenting the time spent hopping - got too busy RL.  And I discovered that letting LHs go is a lot easier if you don't hop at all.  I may keep one avatar premium once I'm done downsizing, just to occasionally hop.

3 hours ago, Evelyn Vanlager said:

It sounds like greed of the nice spots 

Maybe try hopping around some, perhaps?  Might sweeten your mood.  There are a LOT of nice spots available nowadays. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2Tessa said:

This remind me about these cuties waiting in my favorites  😍

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Running-Scorpions-Rezer/6891697

That would do the trick as well, I was thinking perhaps one of those oogachakka babies from the 90s would be the ultimate way to rid oneself of a home.  I couldn't find any on the marketplace though.  

This would promptly lead one to a perfectly normal reaction of:

After which, the only reasonable conclusion would be to rid oneself of the home as quickly as possible, as well as throw out any of the objects that were on the property lest they carry such a terror into the next home, much like one would expect from a poltergeist.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Maybe try hopping around some, perhaps?  Might sweeten your mood.  There are a LOT of nice spots available nowadays. 

Everyone has different views on what is nice too. I've visited the houses of a number of people who have multiples and I thought they were nice enough spots. I wouldn't want to live in those spots though. People often feel the same about my place, in that it's a great fantasy spot, but they don't want to live in a giant mushroom swamp for some reason.

As far as multiple houses go, I think it's worth considering what you'll gain from dropping the extras. What will you do with the money and time? If there is something, focus on that. If there isn't, it might be there is no real reason to drop them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I let go of my stilt a week or so ago. I thought it would hurt to pull that trigger since it was a spot I wanted badly and ticketed for. However, once it was picked up and gone, I felt nothing but relief. I then took that 1024 allowance and bought back a parcel on mainland I had sold not too long ago. I now happily live on mainland and I am there all the time now. Abandoning them is like pulling off a Band-Aid quickly. You do it and TP away.

• Like 10

I let go of all of my LH but sometimes reboot and get one or two, build a couple of things for them and then drop them again. I don't pay annually so I don't feel tied in. As much as I like to decorate the answer for me is always about being creative and building little bits and pieces for them. I then sell those pieces so it makes sense to have an LH every so often. But usually I am using my SL to build and sell and that takes place away from LH- I can go to Bellisseria anytime and often do - I often pitch my wearable tent in the region I named and watch the sunrise. It comes down to what do you want to get out of the service? Is it constructive or just a distraction?  (also to add -  I rarely get a sense of ownership over anything I just let them go. Its easy enough to get others of equal greatness). I treat the LH as totally neutral - to be used for constructive purposes if we choose... 

20pb1x.jpg

Edited by Chloe Bunny
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

And I discovered that letting LHs go is a lot easier if you don't hop at all.

so true! cuz you have the misfortune to hop onto a really amazing "keeper" and then it becomes very difficult to downgrade the alt cuz you want to hang on to the new place it landed.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

---------snip---------(I also have a mainland parcel that I love and I spend most of my time there when I am not out/about other parts of Second LIfe.)

It was that for me. I can be really frugal. And paying for places I don't use? There is where my Scrooge McDuck personality start to complain, and demand to know why I pay for that.

I have not had "more" than 5-6 Bellisseria homes at the same time. Every new theme, I needed to have an alt to hunt with. Get a new location by water was the goal. Then a decoration frenzy, take pictures, post them and get positive comments. And my other houses was empty. Also very nice decorated, but empty. I would abandon one of the homes I did not like "very" well, I never got up to more than 6 Premiums.

Then I found a Mainland corner to rent, with all the water I wanted. And so I spend my time there. I had only 1-2 Belisseria homes, but I managed to let all go.

It was one house I abandoned in Bellisseria that I was talking about, how I regret I left it. But slowly it started to fade away too. 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 10

I am going to try to take these bits of advice to heart and "declutter" some parcels.  Recently I have found myself buying 1024 water lots and that can become addicting too.  I now have one very near and sailable to Blake Sea and one beside the southern part of Olde Belli.  I need to stop with the "oh, it's such a fabulous parcel, how can I ever leave" thinking and just rip that bandaid off.  I will, I will....  🙀  🙀  🙀

Update:  okay, O Mighty Support Team, I divested myself of one Linden Home (my Sakura, sob...)  I had a moment of "oh, no, I spent so much time landscaping and the setting is gorgeous..."  but I steeled myself and pulled the plug.  Glug, glug, glug and now I am back to just the annual "Premium/or no" decisions with no extra tier.  Step by step...

Edited by Leora Greenwood
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

I've recently downgraded one (Stilt) account, and have abandoned the (Log) house for another, giving me until the end of April to hop* before downgrading that account as well. That leaves me with 4 premiums, 2 of which I can't see me downgrading because I love their (Trad, Sakura) parcels too much. As to the other two, well, we'll see what the economy has in store. Before abandoning the Stilt and Log homes, I did "every possible detail" photo sessions and inventories so I could re-create those homes should I ever feel the urge to do so. ((I did feel a brief pang of regret a week after bidding the Lauderdale farewell...)

*Just landed a 1024 Newbrooke parcel where the Denver actually works, so will make more progress decorating that than I did the HB I just released.

• Like 8

Hopping to a theme you don't especially love can be a good way of weaning an alt off premium. Playing with a new house for a couple of days/weeks is a nice distraction which stops you thinking too much about the dream parcel you just gave up, and abandoning it when your subscription finally runs out is relatively painless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'm glad all you guys are happily divesting yourselves of your beautiful homes. That just gives me more good stuff to grab. 😝

Just kidding!

I won't be picking up anything more until the 2048s arrive. When that happens, I will need one more alt to pick up group tier elsewhere.

So, for now, I will skip the Twelve Steps and stay addicted. *Takes a good swig of something very addictive.* 

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.