Makers of newer, higher quality flexi hair?

Jaenie Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a few flexi hairdos left over from the ol' days. There's one in particular that I still wear on a regular basis, DrLife Yi, as shown in the photo. But, it's nevertheless still old and lower quality and lower resolution. Are there any hair makers still doing flexi of higher quality and resolution? I've love to get a new hair that has better texture, smoother strands and at least as good flow. Is it even possible or is it just that no one does it anymore?  I've looked and looked in the Marketplace, but I haven't found any of the more modern, mesh quality.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.5af65e458c0e61a74d1945423784cbac.png

8 hours ago, Jaenie Crystal said:

I have a few flexi hairdos left over from the ol' days. There's one in particular that I still wear on a regular basis, DrLife Yi, as shown in the photo. But, it's nevertheless still old and lower quality and lower resolution. Are there any hair makers still doing flexi of higher quality and resolution? I've love to get a new hair that has better texture, smoother strands and at least as good flow. Is it even possible or is it just that no one does it anymore?  I've looked and looked in the Marketplace, but I haven't found any of the more modern, mesh quality.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.5af65e458c0e61a74d1945423784cbac.png

Analog dog https://www.analogdogblog.com still makes Flexi, it is usually a mix of mesh. 

I love Flexi movement.  I still wear them on occasion.

Don't listen to debbie downer, wear what brings you joy! 

Also, it is non Flexi but Magika released a new one that is very long hair. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Magika-Dolly/24003009

Edited by LittleSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 3

Flexi itself seems about the same, maybe some better textures used with some creators.. Myself I have soem nice mesh styles where Flexi really enhances the mesh and brings more life to it..

For me it's a less is more thing nowadays, where back then it seemed like a more is more thing..   Flexi still has the same side effects as back then because really not much feels like it's changed other than the texturing.. It will still go inviso and give that wearing razor slices look around the head, when walking on a dance floor  or standing in front of a wall made with transparency textures..

I think it's at it's best when mesh and flexi can enhance each other..

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Don't wear flexi hair. It's nearly 2023.

I'm not a fan of wearing it myself but I've seen some really cute ponytails that I've actually been thinking about purchasing.  

As the saying goes, everything old is new again.  

The one thing I do wish they would do is not make some of the styles so very long.  I've noticed a lot of the people who wear the newer flexi also have more voluptuous behinds and they often swallow up the lower portion of the hair.  I tried a ponytail the other day and even though my behind is not THAT big, even when simply standing, the tips of the hair were inside my avatar.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The one thing I do wish they would do is not make some of the styles so very long.  I've noticed a lot of the people who wear the newer flexi also have more voluptuous behinds and they often swallow up the lower portion of the hair.  I tried a ponytail the other day and even though my behind is not THAT big, even when simply standing, the tips of the hair were inside my avatar.

Nothing like hair stuck in the crack… that makes for a cracking hairstyle 😆

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Nothing like hair stuck in the crack… that makes for a cracking hairstyle 😆

Caution: When waxing, Make sure to remove hair from head, from ass.. hehehe

ETA: Wow we can say Ass and not get filtered! \o/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 2

On 12/13/2022 at 8:42 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

Myself I have soem nice mesh styles where Flexi really enhances the mesh and brings more life to it..

On 12/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's flexi hairs -- and skirts/dresses -- are much better, complexity wise.  They simply add a little bit of better optimized flexi to mesh bases.

I have one or two styles that have very small flexi prims mixed in with the mesh. They're not long enough to disappear inside anything, and just prominent enough that they give a slight sense of movement to your hair when you are dancing, walking, or something. I think it can be done quite well, actually, and, although it obviously wouldn't work with all styles, I wish more creators would try this.

• Like 2

This has made me think... clearly animated/more natural looking hair would be pretty cool.

How about a bento style rig for hair? A relatively small number of new 'bones' for hair to work with might actually be enough to enable some interesting things... the current crop of high quality hair makers in SL are very good at what they do and I think given the opportunity they could push things even further.

I suppose the difficulty is in animating the rig accurately, what controls it etc...

@AmeliaJ08 There is already animesh hair out there. Not that I use any, but I've seen it around.

It's all very well, but seeing hair moving around while the avatar is standing still doesn't really work for me. Some of it seemed animated reasonably well though; a good animator, coupling it with movement detection might be OK. The Medusa hair is pretty good fun (as in snakes on your head).

Restrained use of flexi, augmenting mesh, is still better.

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

This has made me think... clearly animated/more natural looking hair would be pretty cool.

How about a bento style rig for hair? A relatively small number of new 'bones' for hair to work with might actually be enough to enable some interesting things... the current crop of high quality hair makers in SL are very good at what they do and I think given the opportunity they could push things even further.

I suppose the difficulty is in animating the rig accurately, what controls it etc...

Stealthic has one animesh hair (a braid) but has not created anything like it in a couple years. 

Exile did bento hair for a very brief while. I don't know if it's still in the store/available though. It was a few years ago.  

10 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

It's all very well, but seeing hair moving around while the avatar is standing still doesn't really work for me. Some of it seemed animated reasonably well though; a good animator, coupling it with movement detection might be OK. The Medusa hair is pretty good fun (as in snakes on your head).

Yes, the Medusa concept is a cute one -- and definitely one of those times when your hair can move all on its own without seeming odd.

I also have a couple of hairs that just have a few strands moving a bit, more like there is a light breeze.  Those don't look too odd when the avi is standing still -- though I'm an antsy person and thus all of my standing AOs have me moving at least a bit.  In RL, I'm never standing totally still.

Back when the bento first came out, someone created a long hair that was rigged to one of the foot bones, so the hair flopped about whenever you were walking.  However, it ultimately looked more stupid than the long mesh gowns that flap awkwardly upwards with ever step.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.