Distance Between Lab and Residents

EnCore Mayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

adding this post to see if there are any comments on the latest YouTube© Lab Gab (announced through the non interactive "community blogs" section of the Second Life Community website).

has anyone ever wondered why the Lab, since Philip's handover to M, hasn't developed a better way to communicate with us (their "community") than to use third party platforms? what ever happened to inworld town hall meetings? is our platform not supposed to be developed for the future of the metaverse? are our limitations supposed to be a secret? don't mind me, this post is for feedback as to the status quo YouTube hype.

anyone?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, EnCore Mayne said:

has anyone ever wondered why the Lab, since Philip's handover to M, hasn't developed a better way to communicate with us (their "community") than to use third party platforms? what ever happened to inworld town hall meetings? is our platform not supposed to be developed for the future of the metaverse? are our limitations supposed to be a secret? don't mind me, this post is for feedback as to the status quo YouTube hype.

anyone?

Townhalls tend to be a venue for people to express upset or disappointment. The messaging is easily overshadowed by a couple of people with a specific grievance, or entirely trashed when it inevitably gets griffed. It barely functions at SLB.

There is also the issue that the messaging doesn't reach beyond the active community that bothers to show up, the intent with using YT is that it can act as marketing too .. although I honestly feel the Q&A lab gab format is perhaps the least effective and exciting way of announcing new shiny (especially to users who aren't already invested).

Using 3rd party platforms is essential to getting the message out beyond the walled garden, but the current format is a missed opportunity to do something that shows off SL with a higher production value.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EnCore Mayne said:

adding this post to see if there are any comments on the latest YouTube© Lab Gab (announced through the non interactive "community blogs" section of the Second Life Community website).

anyone?

Because when it comes to mass communication in-world, Second Life is buttocks-clenchingly horrible. Since that's not what it was designed for.

To expand on that:

Swiss Army knives are really cool. I own two. I use them for a variety of small tasks that turn up.

However, if I know I'm going to be doing a major task that's part of the toolset of one of the knives, I'll just use the full-sized dedicated tool designed to do that task because it will always be more efficient than the Swiss Army knife. And if the Swiss Army knife was made in such a way that it included full-size tools, it would be so bulky it wouldn't be useful as the portable toolkit it was designed to be.

Second Life is designed to do an amazingly wide variety of things, but a dedicated application will always do each individual task better.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, EnCore Mayne said:

anyone?

Everyone who is able to access Second Life is able to access Youtube. What is your problem, specifically?

• Like 1

Everything said above is entirely valid. I don't think there's any reason at all, for instance, why this kind of event shouldn't be on YouTube: everything is on YouTube.

But I'll admit that I have much the same thought as the OP when these things happen. They demonstrate 1) how really inadequate SL's communication tools really are, and 2) how very poorly SL scales.

SL advertises itself as a place for businesses to hold meetings . . . but can't even stage a relatively small presentation on its own platform?

As for concerts, theatrical events, and so forth of the sort that do occur on VRChat occasionally? LOL. Right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I can't think of one thing actual SL user participation would have added to this conversation, though. A selection of questions pre-submitted and read by the moderator is always my preference in these formats. 

Until the the answers raise more questions.

• Like 1

I thought it was little odd the blog post did not allow comments/feedback (of if it did could not find it), maybe they assumed the community would naturally create topics to pick apart the details. Within these forums Lindens and Moles speak up a lot more than other platforms, kind of rare to be able to interact with platform creators/developers in a sincere way, that's what sets Second Life apart from the rest. They appear to be real people trying their best to make everybody happy with the little power and resources they have to work with. 

It would be neat if linden homes had desk and laptop with link to the forums :) or with some sort of interface to participate here with ease. Right now somewhere in world there are countless new users who need help with something and unless they are tech forum savvy they give up, cancel, and never return. 

Maybe along with the hammer macro that needs to go on the toolbars as default (because this is a platform created for builders..) they could ad a computer logo or phone logo that will take them to the forums? That would be easy to see, that way they can easily commuicate with the entire community vs becoming frustrated and cancelling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

And what becomes a brief touching-base drags on interminably as the person asking the original question demands even more granular answers whether the presenters have them or not. Yeah, pass.

The tools for mass communications do exist in S/L already as for example Groups or even server messages. Then we have the Forum itself. Having looked at the numbers who actually watched the live Youtube presentation, it struck me there is more concurrency any time on the Forum then there was at that presentation.

• Like 4

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

The tools for mass communications do exist in S/L already as for example Groups or even server messages. Then we have the Forum itself. Having looked at the numbers who actually watched the live Youtube presentation, it struck me there is more concurrency any time on the Forum then there was at that presentation.

Groups are held together with duct tape and prayer. You can't even use them for casual conversation. All the major vendors in fashion have moved to Discord for customer support and communication. I cannot imagine using groups for question and answer sessions. 

And a Youtube video is easily accessible, and not prone to getting out in the weeds like a forum post. What would you rather have - 20 or 30 minutes of clear explanation, or 20 pages of bickering in Forum posts? 

You don't have to do EVERYTHING in world.

• Like 4

Maybe new user experience places could showcase the SLU videos. Maybe Lindens & Moles can build a real university and each classroom could be different topics with youtube videos on laptops on desks. The could sure cool it up a lot. Maybe a toolbar button with a built in teleport to the university. After all it is more of an educational platform. Sandbox classrooms users can follow along videos and build on their desks and learn how things work here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I thought it was little odd the blog post did not allow comments/feedback (of if it did could not find it), maybe they assumed the community would naturally create topics to pick apart the details. Within these forums Lindens and Moles speak up a lot more than other platforms, kind of rare to be able to interact with platform creators/developers in a sincere way, that's what sets Second Life apart from the rest. They appear to be real people trying their best to make everybody happy with the little power and resources they have to work with. 

It would be neat if linden homes had desk and laptop with link to the forums :) or with some sort of interface to participate here with ease. Right now somewhere in world there are countless new users who need help with something and unless they are tech forum savvy they give up, cancel, and never return. 

Maybe along with the hammer macro that needs to go on the toolbars as default (because this is a platform created for builders..) they could ad a computer logo or phone logo that will take them to the forums? That would be easy to see, that way they can easily commuicate with the entire community vs becoming frustrated and cancelling. 

Aren't those functions already in the top menu?  Under help?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

last time I attended a town hall, all it was is people doing what a certain set of people do irl, taking over and being a loud voice for every one,  but they are only doing it for themselves and their cliques.  so I do not attend.  I tend to not voice certain aspects,  certain employee's of LL want to know what I think after this long of being a user of their service, they can contact me directly and talk to me, so I'm not being drowned out by the certain types.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What's stopping any of you from submitting questions or ideas for up coming Gabs? I'm sure that would be helpful as well and likely welcomed. @Strawberry Linden is pretty accessible. TBH I prefer it be on tube 1. Because I can listen at my leisure and not have to sit at the screen. 2. Because I can go back to points that brought questions to my mind. 3. Because in world snipers are a pita.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Groups are held together with duct tape and prayer. You can't even use them for casual conversation. All the major vendors in fashion have moved to Discord for customer support and communication. I cannot imagine using groups for question and answer sessions. 

And a Youtube video is easily accessible, and not prone to getting out in the weeds like a forum post. What would you rather have - 20 or 30 minutes of clear explanation, or 20 pages of bickering in Forum posts? 

You don't have to do EVERYTHING in world.

Were you at the Youtube presentation to note that it ended prematurely? Not enough duct tape and prayer I guess.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

There were two parts, in total 41 minutes of presentation. That sounds just about right for these interviews.

Well thanks for mentioning that a second part was done because after the first part ended there was no notification when the second part started or where though I did note some at least found it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Aren't those functions already in the top menu?  Under help?

I was thinking something a bit more accessible, quick, & simple for all users. Getting the map toolbar button as default was a huge milestone. New users also need tool tips that pop up explaining what each button has the power to do would be optimal and important piece of the retention puzzle. 

As I've been traveling around the Linden Homes trick or treating i'm reminded each time I see a dinning room set outside sticking out of a roof, how it feels to be new and lost. There has to be simple ways to help and those simple ways might be the difference between positive word of mouth or negative. 

Maybe a show me last rezzed object tool bar button. Tool Tip "Rez something you can't find, press me and i'll select the last object you rezzed on your parcel. Oh looks like it's on the roof (based on location. lets move it down. press so and so blahblah." 

Making things better does not have to be complicated. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

I don't see why it couldn't be both in world and saved / posted on You Tube?    

As for the audience [specifically the loud ones] - Can't LL shut them up?  Maybe they only take pre-submitted questions?   Just curious...

Because there's no need for it to be. Second Life is glitchy under the best circumstances. And opening it to the public means opening it to trolls. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.