Distance Between Lab and Residents

EnCore Mayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Huh? Don't mind me, I'm just trying to ride my unicycle in my new underpants with go-faster stripes.  Not sure who is s1209748295_Unicyclepants_001.thumb.png.9b71453a25ba86cb9cb6c9baa49748c8.pngupposed to know me or not 🙂

Police radio: "This is an APB, I repeat, an All Points Bulletin. Be on the lookout for a shirtless masked man in a Santa hat and Santa boots, wearing striped underwear with a horse-like creature over his pubic area, riding a yellow unicycle!"

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Police radio: "This is an APB, I repeat, an All Points Bulletin. Be on the lookout for a shirtless masked man in a Santa hat and Santa boots, wearing striped underwear with a horse-like creature over his pubic area, riding a yellow unicycle!"

Don't you mean an "All Pants Bumitsin"?

On 10/25/2022 at 10:07 AM, Blaise Glendevon said:

Ah. So that's a "No, I don't have a point," then. 

I was not in the mood to respond to this yesterday and in hindsight, I should have just ignored the snarky response. I will admit, now - I feel the need to make my point.

The question - Should LL communicate to it’s residents inworld vs. a third party app?

My point is, one size does not fit all.  Why not do both?

Second Life has been marketed as the place to gather and collaborate. Too many loud voices, you say?   Well, as I said – shouldn’t LL be able to overcome this? I’ve been to several in world gatherings put on by designers and artists that were very well attended, and the audience was not out of control.  It is, at the very least, something LL should consider - since many residents feel it would foster a more intimate connection.

Attending inworld and watching on You Tube are very different experiences.

Others prefer to watch on You Tube; it’s convenient and fits their needs just fine.  There is no reason they can’t do both – except maybe the lack of suitable technology at this point.

The OP asked for feedback.  I believe it’s important to allow everyone to voice their opinion, whether I agree with them or not.  Diversity of ideas is essential for growth.   

• Like 7

Whatever way it is broadcast is fine but at the very, very least they could send an inworld message to residents that changes to the ToS and Privacy Policies are coming up and post a link where more information can be see or read.

200,000 unique residents per day and yet there is only 1,307 views on the video posted 6 days ago. You'd think maybe their messaging system for updating residents about important changes might be lacking somehow, regardless whether the video itself is posted in or out of world.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

The question - Should LL communicate to it’s residents inworld vs. a third party app?

How? They post the link to Lab Gab on the Second Life official Twitter and blog. They could put a notice on the front screen of the official viewer, but most users use a TPV - so there's that out. LL occasionally sends e-mail blasts, but I assume most of those get deleted instead of opened. As far as I know, there's no way to push notifications to users who haven't opted-in to an official LL group or subscriber. 

And if they did push a notecard to all residents, we'd be confronted with howls of outrage about getting spammed by someone who didn't opt-in to be communicated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You'd think maybe their messaging system for updating residents about important changes might be lacking somehow,

I think the biggest 'hole' in the messaging system is allowing residents to opt-out of receiving emails or from LL or allowing 3rd party viewers to not display the message from LL's splash screen or the blog list and issues list on the splash screen in the 3rd party viewer's default setup.  

The web dashboard also displays the blog list, but apparently not everyone logs into their dashboard or if they do, don't read much of it. 

Messages from LL (with links to the blog post) are also displayed during teleports - I don't know if there's a way for that to be turned off, but I would imagine that might be possible in some 3rd party viewers. 

There are also all the social media channels that LL utilizes to post information as well.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

How? They post the link to Lab Gab on the Second Life official Twitter and blog. They could put a notice on the front screen of the official viewer, but most users use a TPV - so there's that out. LL occasionally sends e-mail blasts, but I assume most of those get deleted instead of opened. As far as I know, there's no way to push notifications to users who haven't opted-in to an official LL group or subscriber. 

And if they did push a notecard to all residents, we'd be confronted with howls of outrage about getting spammed by someone who didn't opt-in to be communicated. 

Of course there is ways to push notifications through the viewer. Have you never been inworld when a region is going down for a restart? Have you never seen the SL Viewer prevent login because they are forcing a viewer update? That's two server side messages that are hard to miss for any resident. No doubt they have more ways to inform residents of important upcoming changes. Both the SL and FS viewer currently do mention about the upcoming ToS changes with the FS one being more prominent then the one in the SL viewer but even then they are easy to miss when one is simply auto clicking to login. Rather they might consider having a pop up box (old technology) forcing one to actually click it off before being able to login. That way a Resident would have to actively choose to either ignore the upcoming changes or click a link within the pop up box to see more information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I meant in world meetings,  some folks would really like them.  I agree,  if they sent me a notecard I would never notice it or throw it away.   

2 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

I meant in world meetings,  some folks would really like them.  I agree,  if they sent me a notecard I would never notice it or throw it away.   

There are in-world meetings. Some Lindens hold office hours. But a brief announcement segment doesn't need to be an in-person event. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Of course there is ways to push notifications through the viewer. Have you never been inworld when a region is going down for a restart? Have you never seen the SL Viewer prevent login because they are forcing a viewer update? That's two server side messages that are hard to miss for any resident. No doubt they have more ways to inform residents of important upcoming changes. Both the SL and FS viewer currently do mention about the upcoming ToS changes with the FS one being more prominent then the one in the SL viewer but even then they are easy to miss when one is simply auto clicking to login. Rather they might consider having a pop up box (old technology) forcing one to actually click it off before being able to login. That way a Resident would have to actively choose to either ignore the upcoming changes or click a link within the pop up box to see more information.

I would not want patch notes as a UI over my viewer and it basically tells me I have to accept these changes to be able to use the viewer. TOS change I am fine with. But that would be so annoying. I mean I already read it on the website. As got a road map that is basically pushed on your screen and until you agree, you can't use the viewer. No thank you. That just feels like unnecessary extra screens. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I think that it would be classified as spam. I don't want notecards, pop ups or anything of that matter. And yes I would still love the ability to opt in. Like imagine this, if there was a lab gab. And like the message that pops up and the screen shaking. Imagine getting that every time there were updates or they wanted you to read the LL road map or user meetings or lab gab. I would find it absolutely obstructive, distracting and annoying.

8 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Whatever way it is broadcast is fine but at the very, very least they could send an inworld message to residents that changes to the ToS and Privacy Policies are coming up and post a link where more information can be see or read.

200,000 unique residents per day and yet there is only 1,307 views on the video posted 6 days ago. You'd think maybe their messaging system for updating residents about important changes might be lacking somehow, regardless whether the video itself is posted in or out of world.

But what you are asking for, is for everyone to be spammed when stuff like that happens. Which most people would not appreciate or like. I mean if they had a subscriber database, where one can opt in. I think everyone would be fine. But by forcing it through whatever means they can to broadcast it out. It would be annoying and uncalled for. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

But what you are asking for, is for everyone to be spammed when stuff like that happens. Which most people would not appreciate or like. I mean if they had a subscriber database, where one can opt in. I think everyone would be fine. But by forcing it through whatever means they can to broadcast it out. It would be annoying and uncalled for. 

You, I and the rest of the very tiny minority of forumites see it as just news we already know about (mostly because of Animats pointing it out on a forum thread) but for the vast majority of S/L residents it would be news and quite important for some on the day they go to log in and have to accept the new changes to log in. It is too late then to do inworld changes that will minimize the effect the new policies might have on them. 

So I don't mind the inconvenience of having to click off a pop box that gives me a heads up on upcoming changes that I already know about. At least the rest of the 200,000 daily users are being informed too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You, I and the rest of the very tiny minority of forumites see it as just news we already know about (mostly because of Animats pointing it out on a forum thread) but for the vast majority of S/L residents it would be news and quite important for some on the day they go to log in and have to accept the new changes to log in. It is too late then to do inworld changes that will minimize the effect the new policies might have on them. 

So I don't mind the inconvenience of having to click off a pop box that gives me a heads up on upcoming changes that I already know about. At least the rest of the 200,000 daily users are being informed too. 

I don't think a majority of the user base would enjoy it. Me being one of them. I honestly can't stand popups. I mean we may see it as just news. But popups would be annoying. 

Perhaps adding a simple calendar to the viewer, would solve a lot of what everyone wants.  It could be able to be accessed through the toolbar buttons, and SL could post to it when there are events - along with SLURLs, links to media, etc.. all could be done well before the event.  

Give groups access to the calendar as well (togglable by user, much like group chat, and group notifications) and give the users themselves access to add their own events and reminders to it.  

Add a few bells and whistles, such as a togglable popup that will appear just before the event occurs and/or a audio notification.    

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

I want an SL tickertape along the top of my screen doo ddop dooo ddddooooo this just in " Linden Lab has joined Red Bull in making Residents energy needs easier in both lives...premium plus now includes a 4 pack of Red Bull each month delivered to your door"  click https://secondlife.com/premium for more details.

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.