2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When the Peeves thread is way too quiet. Maybe because it's Friday?

I have one! 

Peeve: I had to fix my own dang phone at work today because IT is on vacation and no one had even looked at my ticket after 4 hours.

It's a boring peeve.

I did fix it though, so... *pats self on back*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oh I wasn't even thinking of politics. As to walking on eggshells, after you yourself questioned the changing of policies in the Forum Feedback, it struck me that it was not about any actual change in the policy as confirmed by a moderator but more about the changes in the level and degree of enforcement. As a friendly neighborhood lion has pointed out, in times past a warning or ban in the forum rarely equated to an inworld ban which a number of forumites have confirmed is now a thing. Though you might not have used the eggshell analogy example yourself, I did feel from a few of your own posts you had a similar sentiment. Perhaps I misunderstood or you have changed your mind since then which is certainly your prerogative.

I can't of course mention whether I have myself experienced any warnings, thread or post deletions or even a forum or inworld ban as a result of my postings here, as that is against the community guidelines and I am sure there are some here who might be quick to draw a moderators attention to such in the hopes there would be actions taken. Some may get away with such but for others their posts seem to be pored over with a fine tooth comb to spot any potential infractions. What one poster is allowed to do or say is not the same as what another is allowed.

I'll stick with my peeve that posting in the forum feels like walking on eggshells.

Well, if that is how you feel, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong.

My query about the supposed change in posting policy here was to make sure that I understood the ground rules. For the most part, they seem to me reasonably clear. And the consequences for overstepping the lines when they are fuzzy is generally just a gentle warning in the thread, or removal of a post.

I'm not really buying the suggestion that some people can get away with stuff others can't, though. Or if that is happening, it's because someone is being systematically harassed through ARs. Is that what you meant?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oh I wasn't even thinking of politics. As to walking on eggshells, after you yourself questioned the changing of policies in the Forum Feedback, it struck me that it was not about any actual change in the policy as confirmed by a moderator but more about the changes in the level and degree of enforcement. As a friendly neighborhood lion has pointed out, in times past a warning or ban in the forum rarely equated to an inworld ban which a number of forumites have confirmed is now a thing. Though you might not have used the eggshell analogy example yourself, I did feel from a few of your own posts you had a similar sentiment. Perhaps I misunderstood or you have changed your mind since then which is certainly your prerogative.

I can't of course mention whether I have myself experienced any warnings, thread or post deletions or even a forum or inworld ban as a result of my postings here, as that is against the community guidelines and I am sure there are some here who might be quick to draw a moderators attention to such in the hopes there would be actions taken. Some may get away with such but for others their posts seem to be pored over with a fine tooth comb to spot any potential infractions. What one poster is allowed to do or say is not the same as what another is allowed.

I'll stick with my peeve that posting in the forum feels like walking on eggshells.

You  must learn to become one with the shell.. So much so that you and the shell dance..

tap-dancing-tap.gif

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not really buying the suggestion that some people can get away with stuff others can't, though. Or if that is happening, it's because someone is being systematically harassed through ARs. Is that what you meant?

Peeve: Quick, she's catching on! AR her! It's for the greater good!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Out of curiosity, how do you have access to Cloudflare's logs? Or do you mean the logs the FS devs have access to?

They're a Firestorm team member... they were offering to look at the Cloudflare logs (they asked you for the Ray ID) that are provided to them as a cloudflare customer.,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peeve:  People that think it is okay to make a snarky comment to everything (or at least most things) posted by people they don't like much.  Seems to me it takes a lot more effort than just ignoring people, and definitely doesn't make the commenter look too great in my eye.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: That sounds vaguely like an accusation! 
Peeve: Friday..

Both true.
On the bright side, in a few minutes it is Saturday in most places at this side of the pond.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think moderation can have a chilling effect going on. For example I don't think I've ever gotten a warning. As far as I know I have not gotten close to one either but I've seen a few threads I took part in just vanish lately. Not a peeve, just... kind of makes me wary of posting. But this probably gets uncomfortably close to discussing moderation so I'll zip it.

Peeve time then.

On a personal level. F this year. Never in my entire life have I experienced such a non stop storm of calamity wreak havoc on my life, my health, really just everything. It's just one thing after another after another after another. It peeves me how much strength it saps out of me to just get up, NOT turn cynical, NOT turn to apathy. It's been enough. No exaggeration, not a single week has gone by without some catastrophic event necessiting repairs, doctor visits, intervention, long gruelinghours of emotional talks, navigating past angry people, dealing with hate IRL, just no more energy.

Argh!

Okay.

Yah.

Alright.

No.

F this year.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: That sounds vaguely like an accusation! 
Peeve: Friday..

You, my dear fluffy lion, need our lord and saviour Rebecca Black, patron saint of the most hated music video about this fine day of the week. May the bubbly lyrics soothe your peeve like a lightning rod.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Imagine a butcher store, where the butcher suspends you for talking about his meat with other customers while waiting, in a way the butcher doesn't like.
Would you return?
Imagine a hairdresser, that suspends you for a week, because you don't talk according to their guidelines published in their store.
Would you come back for a hair cut?
Imagine a club owner sends you an invitation for a party. When you arrive no music playing. When you make a remark about it... bam banned. Not only from the club, but from the whole neighborhood. Would you want to deal with that club owner ever again???

Every sane person will say: "No certainly not".
But LL can get away with all this stuff, because we have so many time, money, ideas and work invested in this place and made friends, we don't easily just walk away.

Peeve: LL bring your customer service and care act up to par please. You are not dealing with children, but with grown ups who pay you. PAY, like in handing over money for SERVICE!!!!

So, in awaiting of my next suspension.... have a nice few days folks.
As always the messenger will get the blame.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Imagine a butcher store, where the butcher suspends you for talking about his meat with other customers while waiting.
Would you return?
Imagine a hairdresser, that suspends you for a week, because you don't talk according to their guidelines published in their store.
Would you come back for a hair cut?
Imagine a club owner sends you an invitation for a party. When you arrived no music playing. When you make a remark about it... bam banned. Not only from the club, but from the whole neighborhood. Would you want to deal with that club owner ever again???

Every sane person will say no.
But LL can get away with all this stuff, because we have so many time, money, ideas and work invested in this place and made friends, we don't easy just walk away.

Peeve: LL bring your customer service and care act up to par please.

So, in awaiting of my next suspension.... have a nice few days folks.
As always the messenger will get the blame.

There's a cultural aspect that may make butcher shops a very interesting choice for comparisons.  Some would be majorly peeved about butcher shop practices that are absolutely normal elsewhere. 
- Some leave the meat out in such a way that there is a distinctive odor to the shops, normal to some but absolutely foreign to others.

- Some use a packing process that introduces gases and/or broths to artificially prolong the "freshness" of the meat or enhance its moisture and flavor (thus requiring special labeling). In these cases, packing is done at central facilities.

I'd give more examples, but don't want to butcher the metaphor.

Peeve: They don't make culturally neutral metaphors like they used to.

@Sid Nagy, in summary, I'll quote David Byrne of the Talking Heads:

"This ain't no party!

This ain't no disco!

This ain't no foolin' around."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ValKalAstra said:

On a personal level. F this year.

I don't think you're alone :/ I've NEVER known a year where so many people I know (family, friends, work colleagues, even people on the forum) have been ill or had accidents at the same time...-_- And everything keeps breaking down or going wrong...also, it feels like the whole year lasted a month o.O We should have known something was wrong when all those animals started walking around in circles at the beginning of the year...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: All these vague accusations in this thread over and over again, that fit almost everybody every once in a while. That solves nothing.

It doesn't necessarily need to solve anything.

It's simply a Peeve and this thread is a Peeve thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

But LL can get away with all this stuff, because we have so many time, money, ideas and work invested in this place and made friends, we don't easily just walk away.

And, because no matter how hard others have tried, there really is no good equivalent of SL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I think moderation can have a chilling effect going on. For example I don't think I've ever gotten a warning. As far as I know I have not gotten close to one either but I've seen a few threads I took part in just vanish lately. Not a peeve, just... kind of makes me wary of posting. But this probably gets uncomfortably close to discussing moderation so I'll zip it.

Peeve time then.

On a personal level. F this year. Never in my entire life have I experienced such a non stop storm of calamity wreak havoc on my life, my health, really just everything. It's just one thing after another after another after another. It peeves me how much strength it saps out of me to just get up, NOT turn cynical, NOT turn to apathy. It's been enough. No exaggeration, not a single week has gone by without some catastrophic event necessiting repairs, doctor visits, intervention, long gruelinghours of emotional talks, navigating past angry people, dealing with hate IRL, just no more energy.

Argh!

Okay.

Yah.

Alright.

No.

F this year.

Me too. 2022 and 2023 have both been increasinly horrid.

Baby Peeve: Trying to explain SL to someone without sounding obsessed about it. I said I love my little house and it's in a great location on the coast. I mentioned mesh bodies and heads, but brands mean nothing to an outsider. I always just end up saying it's virtual Barbie dolls. There's no way to explain that I enjoy sorting and weeding my inventory while standing in my skybox though.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Me too. 2022 and 2023 have both been increasinly horrid.

Baby Peeve: Trying to explain SL to someone without sounding obsessed about it. I said I love my little house and it's in a great location on the coast. I mentioned mesh bodies and heads, but brands mean nothing to an outsider. I always just end up saying it's virtual Barbie dolls. There's no way to explain that I enjoy sorting and weeding my inventory while standing in my skybox though.

Tell them it's like a better version of "The Sims", except the idiots next door are REAL idiots, not computer controlled NPC's.

They'll get the idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2