14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Do you know the story about where the food version of hush puppies gets its name?

As the story goes, some southern guys went fishing and then fried up the fish to eat it, covered in a flour or corn-flour batter. Their dogs were yowling for some of the fish, but not wanting to give them the fish, one of the guys threw balls of batter into the grease in the hot pan, cooked that, and then threw some to the dogs, yelling, "Hush Puppies! " The dogs loved them, so the people tried them too, and fried hush puppies were created as a southern side-dish. 

Often told is the variant that escaping slaves would use the fried bread balls to distract dogs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Those are really really good if you mix sweet corn kernels in there.. We call those  corn fritters..

I don't eat much fried food, but I'll break my rule for corn fritters.. hehehe

I'm finding that the premade frozen hush puppies are just fine if baked instead of fried (instructions include an option to bake).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm finding that the premade frozen hush puppies are just fine if baked instead of fried (instructions include an option to bake).

Those are already cooked aren't they and then frozen? I'm sure those are good too.

But I like to make them from scratch and usually  when were cooking up Deer..

I don't really make the hush puppies anymore.. Those Corn Fritters are just too good to pass up making if I'm gonna  make anything like them at all.. The corn bits in there are just such a sweet treat..

If I fry anything, it's in olive oil anyways.. It's the only way I can enjoy fried food at all.. I can't do much of anything greasy.. I just feel dirty afterwards and i don't like the smell.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

People that put up ban lines and zero warning security systems, then act surprised when you don't contact them before returning all their encroaching stuff.

Friendly and approachable, honest!

I've always found it to be the other way round, the "open and friendly parcels" owned by the "what's mine is mine and what's YOURS is mine too" brigade, are the ones most likely to encroach on other peoples land, because

"All land is public and Public includes ME ME ME ME ME!"

I put up banlines, and have a zero second oeb, and I don't encroach, but my NEW vehicle fanatic neighbour, encroaced 4 times in their first week, until I b*tch slapped their stuff into their Lost & Found Folder.

I did actually try IM'ing them first, but no reply, since they are a vehicle fanatic, the fact that I have ban line up probably means they blocked me before we'd even spoken.

"Friendly and approachable, honest!"

Meh, never found those vehicle fanatics either of those terms.

Peeve: New neighbour who can't build worth a damn, and doesn't understand the concept of "parcel boundary marks the END of your land", despite being old enough to have learned by now

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

And vleeskroketten (meat croquettes), for non fish eaters like me.

78052ecd9e202e99ebf06fa874234bb2.jpg

With fries \ chips naturally and some mayo.
No pineapple. 😁

Damn, and now I change dinner plans.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I've always found it to be the other way round, the "open and friendly parcels" owned by the "what's mine is mine and what's YOURS is mine too" brigade, are the ones most likely to encroach on other peoples land, because

"All land is public and Public includes ME ME ME ME ME!"

I put up banlines, and have a zero second oeb, and I don't encroach, but my NEW vehicle fanatic neighbour, encroaced 4 times in their first week, until I b*tch slapped their stuff into their Lost & Found Folder.

I did actually try IM'ing them first, but no reply, since they are a vehicle fanatic, the fact that I have ban line up probably means they blocked me before we'd even spoken.

"Friendly and approachable, honest!"

Meh, never found those vehicle fanatics either of those terms.

Peeve: New neighbour who can't build worth a damn, and doesn't understand the concept of "parcel boundary marks the END of your land", despite being old enough to have learned by now

In all the years I've been in SL, it's always been the ban lines and obnoxious security attached to obnoxious people. There's been zero exceptions in my experience.

I didn't say they were more likely to encroach, that seems to be a universal trait- only that they were the ones that had terrible attitudes about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

In all the years I've been in SL, it's always been the ban lines and obnoxious security attached to obnoxious people. There's been zero exceptions in my experience.

I didn't say they were more likely to encroach, that seems to be a universal trait- only that they were the ones that had terrible attitudes about it.

If one were really smart, they'd sell both Bots and Security devices!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Realized there was an extensive discussion of "chips" ("fries"), but not types of fish. 

I like scampi :P They're all good, but cod is really expensive now...one of my favourites is whitebait, they're really small fried fish and delicious with lemon or garlic...but they're more restaurant-style, I don't think most chipshops do them. 

Jellied eels on brown bread are boss :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1