11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

IMG_1963.jpeg

That's grammatically incorrect though, but it is a common mistake - there should be no -s there (klot is both plural and singular, if you want to specify that there's more, you have to say 'flera klot', alternatively specify the number, 'sju klot!' - if someone is trying to create a plural form through putting an -s after, it's because they are incapable of differentiating Swedish and English grammar. I.e. someone who doesn't actually know Swedish. Like most Swedes born after '93!). Also the translation is wrong; köp after a definite article refers to a specific purchase, shopping is to 'handla' or, in common Swenglish, 'shoppa' - or, indeed, köpa, if you rearrange the sentence a bit (i.e. 'Idag åkte jag iväg för att köpa ett klot', 'today I went out[or 'away'] to buy a sphere').

Also klot doesn't mean 'ball' as in, ball. It rather means 'sphere' (but not quite the same as sfär). Almost all sports balls are a 'boll', in a few sports where the spherical plaything is smaller it's a 'kula' (i.e. 'bullet'), the only sports I can think of off the top of my head wherein a klot is used are bowling, bowls, and boccia* (although another way to spot a fake Swede is if they say 'bowlingboll' like a cretin). (*note that Pétanque uses a kula).

You could well say something like 'Idag gjorde jag ett [bowling]klotköp', which would mean 'today I made a bowling ball purchase'. Although you'd sound awfully weird and archaic. 'Idag köpte jag ett bowlingklot', 'today I bought a bowling ball', would be the more common way of phrasing it.

We do say 'jordklot' or 'jordklotet' (i.e. 'Earth', or 'the Earth'). But if you want a globe, you're shopping for a 'jordglob'. And, it can also refer to a head, informally - 'mitt i klotet!', 'straight['in the middle of'] the head!' (when someone catches a punch or projectile with their face).

Peeve: look what you made me do!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Peeve: When someone assumes they are perfectly clear, and therefore everyone must know what they mean.

ETA: I just realized, it is a form of gaslighting! "You must be crazy if you don't understand this thing, that everyone else understands."

REVELATION PEEVE!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When someone assumes they are perfectly clear, and therefore everyone must know what they mean.

ETA: I just realized, it is a form of gaslighting! "You must be crazy if you don't understand this thing, that everyone else understands."

REVELATION PEEVE!

There's an un-named poster, who used to make a habit of making deliberately awful "suggestions", guaranteed to anger 90% of forum users, and then wait, occasionally throwing gasoline on the fire with additional posts like "the amount of pushback tells me my idea was good", before finally "apologising" and claiming it was all just a joke...

...And how it wasn't THEIR fault we were all TOO STUPID to get their "quirky sense of humour".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There's an un-named poster, who used to make a habit of making deliberately awful "suggestions", guaranteed to anger 90% of forum users, and then wait, occasionally throwing gasoline on the fire with additional posts like "the amount of pushback tells me my idea was good", before finally "apologising" and claiming it was all just a joke...

...And how it wasn't THEIR fault we were all TOO STUPID to get their "quirky sense of humour".

Interesting!

Sometimes when I make a stupid suggestion, I add, "..Is joke!" so there is no misunderstanding.

Other times when I want to be "ambiguous" about whether I think my suggestion was "smart or dumb", I add, "Brilliant!"

Peeve: Either way, sometimes people don't get irony!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting!

Sometimes when I make a stupid suggestion, I add, "..Is joke!" so there is no misunderstanding.

Other times when I want to be "ambiguous" about whether I think my suggestion was "smart or dumb", I add, "Brilliant!"

Peeve: Either way, sometimes people don't get irony!

Peeve: There will always be people who think very literally and have difficulty with metaphors, especially in written language, where visual clues are lacking. Humor and irony often eludes them.
Ah well... one can't win them all.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: There will always be people who think very literally and have difficulty with metaphors, especially in written language, where visual clues are lacking. Humor and irony often eludes them.

They don't get hyperbole or sarcasm either, even when speaking with them face to face. 

I had one coworker who didn't get that I was exaggerating when complaining that a supervisor said we weren't supposed to add bathroom break time onto our regular breaks. I was doing a process that required extensive gowning, so I couldn't easily take a bathroom break in the middle of my work. I told my coworker, "I guess I'll have to just pee on the floor then." He acted horrified, like he thought I meant that seriously. 

Peeve: People who take all statements literally.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

They don't get hyperbole or sarcasm either, even when speaking with them face to face. 

The problem with hyperbole and sarcasm is that there are very fuzzy lines between them and insulting, derogatory language. The lines are complicated by cultural norms (are New Yorkers and Dutch speakers really rude or are they just more comfortable with "sassy" or "snappy" language?) but they vary even more from one person to the next. A quick zinger may just be playful banter to one person but can be hurtful to others. Here in the forums, there are some posts that I not only avoid responding to but don't even bother reading any more. That's sad in a way, because I can tell that some of them are written by smart people with valid opinions. I just can't get past their hyperbole and their nasty tone, and I refuse to be drawn into it myself. 

failure-communicate.gif

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Strangers who expect something from me. I got this IM:

xXxDouchebagxXx: hello beautiful :)

5 minutes pass (note that I'm working and currently on mobile so cannot respond immediately)

xXxDouchebagxXx: no response... moving on.

I would not have cared as much if he'd just left it at the first message like a normal person. But hello? I do not owe this random guy any kind of response.

Edited by Missy Starchild
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Missy Starchild said:

Strangers who expect something from me. I got this IM:

xXxDouchebagxXx: hello beautiful :)

5 minutes pass (note that I'm working and currently on mobile so cannot respond immediately)

xXxDouchebagxXx: no response... moving on.

I would not have cared as much if he'd just left it at the first message like a normal person. But hello? I do not owe this random guy any kind of response.

"BusyDujeBagh: Hurry up! I've got places to be, and people to objectify!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Missy Starchild said:

"I guess you're busy" ...as if that's the only conceivable reason someone wouldn't be interested in talking to them.

• Like 7

Peeve (again for the umpteenth time) ... People who for no reason on their open water parcel block access through it to open seas for other parcels further from that open water. A pox on them and seven generations of their descendants.

(A clue that this is in place just by looking at the map? Find a really nice watery parcel for sale that looks like it's sailable to open water then check the price. I found two side by side 4096s for incredibly cheap in really nice looking area last night and guess what .. one guy blocking.)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

A clue that this is in place just by looking at the map? Find a really nice watery parcel for sale that looks like it's sailable to open water then check the price. If found two side by side 4096s for incredibly cheap in really nice looking area last night and guess what .. one guy blocking

I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. Of course, I wouldn't buy the land and wait around for governance to eventually maybe turn up and do something, which in turn might just set off the neighbour to manually blacklist you and/or start putting up eye sores to get you to move out.

• Like 4

On 8/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Persephone Emerald said:
On 8/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, Sid Nagy said:

I had one coworker who didn't get that I was exaggerating when complaining that a supervisor said we weren't supposed to add bathroom break time onto our regular breaks. I was doing a process that required extensive gowning, so I couldn't easily take a bathroom break in the middle of my work. I told my coworker, "I guess I'll have to just pee on the floor then." He acted horrified, like he thought I meant that seriously. 

Peeve: People who take all statements literally.

Oh that is such a peeve of mine!!

I think some are on a mission to take all the fun out of life (I really don't believe that, that was hyperbolic humor  ♥)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:
On 8/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

The problem with hyperbole and sarcasm is that there are very fuzzy lines between them and insulting, derogatory language. The lines are complicated by cultural norms (are New Yorkers and Dutch speakers really rude or are they just more comfortable with "sassy" or "snappy" language?) but they vary even more from one person to the next. A quick zinger may just be playful banter to one person but can be hurtful to others. Here in the forums, there are some posts that I not only avoid responding to but don't even bother reading any more. That's sad in a way, because I can tell that some of them are written by smart people with valid opinions. I just can't get past their hyperbole and their nasty tone, and I refuse to be drawn into it myself. 

One shouldn't just forgo playfulness and be a boring poster tho!

That would be a pet peeve of mine...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think some are on a mission to take all the fun out of life (I really don't believe that, that was hyperbolic humor  ♥)

To be fair, some people who don't read nuance, sarcasm or jokes well may be on the autism scale.  When my housemate was irritated by our landlady expecting her to go to her bank to get money to pay the gardener, she asked for PopTarts to compensate her for her trouble. Our landlady is high-functioning autistic, and actually did bring her a box of PopTarts. My housemate thought that was cute.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

To be fair, some people who don't read nuance, sarcasm or jokes well may be on the autism scale.  When my housemate was irritated by our landlady expecting her to go to her bank to get money to pay the gardener, she asked for PopTarts to compensate her for her trouble. Our landlady is high-functioning autistic, and actually did bring her a box of PopTarts. My housemate thought that was cute.

I can be fair and explain what's happening to those who are taking something literally, as I have many times on this forum and in 1st life (I had a job working with autistic individuals).

However, those who have a penchant for taking everything literally also cause a big pet peeve for me sometimes -- especially when they become argumentative and insist the other person was wrong in how they expressed themselves.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

To be fair, some people who don't read nuance, sarcasm or jokes well may be on the autism scale.

This may be true, but people failing to recognise nuance, sarcasm, or humour doesn't have to be because they're autistic. I'm on the scale, but sometimes my messages are just too witty for my 'normie' friends to keep up with!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

This may be true, but people failing to recognise nuance, sarcasm, or humour doesn't have to be because they're autistic. I'm on the scale, but sometimes my messages are just too witty for my 'normie' friends to keep up with!

I think that there has to be an allowance for written text too.  Detecting these things from text isn't as easy as with speech.  There are far more clues in the delivery from the spoken word.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I think that there has to be an allowance for written text too.  Detecting these things from text isn't as easy as with speech.  There are far more clues in the delivery from the spoken word.

So true. I think it helps if you know the person and notice they tend to be lighthearted frequently, joke quite a bit, and then suspect they might be using hyperbole.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 11:52 AM, Rolig Loon said:

Here in the forums, there are some posts that I not only avoid responding to but don't even bother reading any more. That's sad in a way, because I can tell that some of them are written by smart people with valid opinions. I just can't get past their hyperbole and their nasty tone, and I refuse to be drawn into it myself. 

Interesting how different we are. I more distrust people I see very little bile from ever...I tend to think they're hiding something.

Pet Peeve:  How humans have a penchant for disguising themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

I think that there has to be an allowance for written text too.  Detecting these things from text isn't as easy as with speech.  There are far more clues in the delivery from the spoke word.

Absolutely, and not just vocal clues either - I can stress myself out to the point I trigger a panic attack if I have to talk to someone on the telephone, and I believe a large part of that is that I can't see the visual cues from facial expressions (and that, unlike a conference call where I can shut up and skulk in the backdrop, I'm being totally locked into having that conversation and can't mute myself to hide sighs, yawns, sneezes, etc.). 

In text you do have the benefit of being able to re-read, and contemplate different angles before you conclude the demeanour behind the words.

• Like 4