34 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: Having to adult! I want to go to the beach and paddle, but instead I am having to fix up a curtain rail that has come adrift from its moorings. 

Peeve: I live near the beach but haven't gone in years.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
In, not it.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Someone making a response to a question that is presented in a way which looks correct to people who are uninformed on the subject in question, but is completely incorrect to anyone who does know the subject in question.

People who are really good at pulling a nonsensical answer out of thin air and presenting it, and for people who don’t know any better they’ll take it as an actual answer. The blind leading the blind.

Worse is when that completely incorrect answer is taken seriously as a solution. That is probably one of the most harmful things that can occur on more support oriented sections of any forum or community. Someone presenting nonsense answers and being taken seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve:  When someone posts off-topic, implying that LGBT people dismiss those with religious beliefs but "demand acceptance";  I provide a well-considered response about how "we bring our whole selves to Second Life";  but have to stop posting to go attend my RL LGBT+ Christian Church service.

Peeve: Hypocrites!

25 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

We all of us please some folks and irritate others! ALL of us. And what we all need to ask ourselves is why are we so irritated by these people? Is it a quality that we ourselves that we are lacking and therefore rather envious of?

I just think of you as being our staff entertainments manager, lightening some of the more serious topics, and I need that, because friction causes my gallstones to flare. 

I think also that when someone appears to have that extra sense of fun, ability to see the humour in everything, some people assume they have a charmed life (again that can invoke envy from others), when it might well be that joker in the pack may have some of the biggest life problems there are. 

No one knows quite who is behind the post.

When someone uses a peeves thread to post passive aggressive comments to someone from another thread I feel I should call that out.  If posted in that thread it would have been deleted so people hide themselves and comment in this thread.  I didn't want to feel left out so I posted too. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Peeve: When someone complains abut "off-topic" posts yet litters EVERY thread multiple times with jokes, rather than participate in the actual topic  only to bring attention to themselves.  

And just to spell it out, THIS is what I mean, you were being passive aggressive about someone else, and now are drawing attention back to yourself. 

Part of me feels I should just keep you blocked, but I am hot and too many things are making me feel angry. Everyone has a breaking point. You do, I do, Love does. Let's all f*cking desist from this sniping. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
so not a f*cking mentor
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

The first question to ask when something annoys you on line is: "Does this post really make any difference?"

The second question is: "Do I really need to add my own response to it?"

Personally, I think 99% of the time the answer to both questions is NO. (And, ironically, here I am, responding to comments that annoy me -- well, a little bit anyway...  😎)

Someone is wrong on the internet. - Pete Brown

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The first question to ask when something annoys you on line is: "Does this post really make any difference?"

Personally, I think 99% of the time the answer to both questions is NO. (And, ironically, here I am, responding to comments that annoy me -- well, a little bit anyway...  😎)

Yep, generally, about 99.999999% of the time I sit on my hands or go and do something more worthwhile instead, like catch up with my Readly subscription, or pluck my eyebrows, but some days, when there is a chain of situations in real life, there just is that one thing too many to ignore, and that is generally what makes me personally react.

Me personally.

And I know this wasn't about li'l ol' me, but I felt the need to vent anyway. 

Do I feel better for it. 

Yes! Better out than in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Are YOU just trying to get attention to YOURSELF and that was why you made the snide remark above, that was most definitely passively aggressively aimed at Love without naming them?

They who smelt it dealt it.

You do realize that Love did the passive aggressive thing first, right - posting here about Sam1's comments in the other thread.?

Neither of them probably should have posted about it here.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You do realize that Love did the passive aggressive thing first, right - posting here about Sam1's comments in the other thread.?

And this part is going too far and uncalled for.

Yes I dare say it is, but you are not responsible for what I say. 

And again, no one knows who or what is going on behind a person's post.

Peeve: Everyone criticising everyone else but being guilty of exactly the same things (yes, me included).

Voodoo dolls all round!

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It’s more fun to mock them. But other internet circles I’m used to you absolutely cannot get away with just saying whatever nonsense comes to your head as a response to someone’s genuine question. You’d be called out by a dozen or more people for being misinformed. Doubling down on a bad take would leave you clowned on forever.

Kind of a downside to a smaller community like this one, your pool for people who know what they’re talking about is pretty small. So when you’ve got someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about but has a 4 or 5 digit post count, sometimes their responses are taken as legitimate on that forum merit alone. That’s harmful, and risks misleading people who need help with something. Those types of posts should be called out in some way.

But there’s another layer of difficulty there, who am I to call out someone with that much forum merit and have my call out be taken seriously? There’s very few people to back me up based on knowledge, and nobody is going to back up my meager forum merit.

If this place had like 5 times the active users this isn’t a problem since with that many people your pool of knowledgeable people increases and I would be backed up, and people making incorrect posts would be called out by more people on them. It’s sadly the case for a lot of small communities, where join dates and post counts actually matter. Larger communities that stuff is worthless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

Yes I dare say it is, but you are not responsible for what I say. 

And again, no one knows who or what is going on behind a person's post.

Peeve: Everyone criticising everyone else but being guilty of exactly the same things (yes, me included).

Voodoo dolls all round!

Jumping in to point out that you're also not responsible for what Love, Sam, and whoever else posts in this thread. It's a peeve thread. Let people post their peeves. That's what the thread is for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Jumping in to point out that you're also not responsible for what Love, Sam, and whoever else posts in this thread. It's a peeve thread. Let people post their peeves. That's what the thread is for. 

Yes you are right.

I shall go and crawl right back under my rock.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's not uncommon to post here when someone annoys one / figurative "you" in another thread. Those who are more tactful than I am, leave out enough detail so it could be literally anyone or anything annoying them.

Thanks for the call-out, we all need it occasionally! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than the others." - George Orwell in Animal Farm.
Damn, Orwell is right again.

Then there are the posters who would pick a random Peeve (such as yours) and reply, "This is about me, isn't it?!" Ah, I miss that almost!

Peeve: Missing drama that used to annoy me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Then there are the posters who would pick a random Peeve (such as yours) and reply, "This is about me, isn't it?!" Ah, I miss that almost!

Peeve: Missing drama that used to annoy me.

You mean like this?  

R(18).jpeg.cf9a4e542ca10d42799a1f688b31b841.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You mean like this?  

R(18).jpeg.cf9a4e542ca10d42799a1f688b31b841.jpeg

I think Sundays are hateful, and I am missing Friday when my peeve was actually that I was shivering with the cold, whereas now literally feel I am sweating my b*ll*cks off. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
literally changed because literally it was incorrect
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gwynchisholm said:

Someone making a response to a question that is presented in a way which looks correct to people who are uninformed on the subject in question, but is completely incorrect to anyone who does know the subject in question.

People who are really good at pulling a nonsensical answer out of thin air and presenting it, and for people who don’t know any better they’ll take it as an actual answer. The blind leading the blind.

Worse is when that completely incorrect answer is taken seriously as a solution. That is probably one of the most harmful things that can occur on more support oriented sections of any forum or community. Someone presenting nonsense answers and being taken seriously.

This is one reason why ChatGPT and AI will doom us all! 

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

This is one reason why ChatGPT and AI will doom us all! 

That’s probably the best description of those types of posts. Human made responses mimicking AI. Generalization in what looks like a proper answer but is actually useless information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1