4 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

So they had to release it in a pretty bad state with plenty of known issues, then fix them later

Inaccurate.

They rolled out server support for PEE across the entire main grid, which led to a bunch of issues, including square stars, that turned BLACK at dusk, moonlight at moonrise that was brighter than sunlight at midday, etc.

Then they launched a RC PEE viewer in the Project Viewers list. The only people who bothered to download and run that were techy TPV dev types, most of whom commented on PEE's failings.

Then more work was done on the PEE viewer, before it was released over a year later, with NONE of the issues fixed, and where the only noticable change was the removal of the only PEE feature everyone liked, the "2nd moon" option.

THEN there was an official announcement that PEE was "working as intended" and would not be updated, JIRAs were closed with WAI as the reason.

THEN some months of constant complaints later, they very quietly launched the "Love me Render" project viewer, to fix some of the issues they claimed hadn't needed fixing because "Working As Intended". That took over a year to finish.

4 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Hopefully it won't be the case this time around and they'll take their time.

Don't hold your breath, they seem hell-bent on rushing out PBR too damn early, just as they rushed out PEE too damn early.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

17 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

They are testing it on Android too but it requires Android 13 which i think is the latest, which would completely rule out my comparatively ancient phone running Nougat 

>:(

I last bought a phone in 2018 and it's fine but then I don't covet the shiny black slabs of glass as much as some, I can't really see myself upgrading it for a while yet since it isn't broken but it definitely doesn't run the latest version of Android. Oh well!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Latest FS doesn't have PBR, so just released 6.6.17 doesn't really have any performance differences compared to 6.6.14, not too drastic ones at least. It's mostly the fixes, inventory thumbnails and other little QoL changes.

I was thinking of switching over to catznip viewer anyways.. When my computer went down, we pulled out this really old Dell.. Catznip was about the only viewer that would run to where I could do anything at all in SL.. The others were pretty much like taking snapshots..

So I figured, if it did better than the rest in that situation, then it probably will improve my performance on the better computer..It was running better than even the v1 viewers for me that I tried..

I like the layout of firestorm and really not a fan of the 2.0 blocky official viewer style, especially with the chat.. I was able to get a regular v1 style chat in catznip also, so that helped..

So Catznip will probably be my next viewer.. Unless, I get homesick..lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I was thinking of switching over to catznip viewer anyways.. When my computer went down, we pulled out this really old Dell.. Catznip was about the only viewer that would run to where I could do anything at all in SL.. The others were pretty much like taking snapshots..

So I figured, if it did better than the rest in that situation, then it probably will improve my performance on the better computer..It was running better than even the v1 viewers for me that I tried..

I like the layout of firestorm and really not a fan of the 2.0 blocky official viewer style, especially with the chat.. I was able to get a regular v1 style chat in catznip also, so that helped..

So Catznip will probably be my next viewer.. Unless, I get homesick..lol

Peeve: Does Catznip have PBR yet? I kinda miss Coffee sometimes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Does Catznip have PBR yet? I kinda miss Coffee sometimes.

I don't know if it does or not.. When I was on that computer, I was so focused on just getting the pages on the net to even load.. lol

So I really didn't spend a whole lot of time reading, but just trying to find versions that would run on my computer..

They may have it, but I'm just not sure to be honest..

23 hours ago, Orwar said:

Training war horses and police horses is a whole lot of work. And historically, war horses were insanely expensive (both because of the breeding and training). On his coronation in 1377, Richard II of England rode a £200 horse - which, according to the Bank of England's inflation calculator is .. £189,612 ($237,393). That of course doesn't mean much, because not only has currency seen inflation, but the prices of stuff we buy with currency has shifted - but basically you could have that one horse, or about 700 'regular' horses.

It mightn't have been quite worth a kingdom, but possibly a county or two.

At one time, any single person who had wealth could own more than one thoroughbred. Today it takes a group of wealthy people pooling their finances to own a single thoroughbred. 

• Moles

Hey, gang!

I have just removed a handful of posts that were off topic and were stressing the limits of civility. Please remember that this thread is about Pet Peeves.  It is not a place to air personal grievances about each other, particularly not about carrying on an argument that may have started somewhere else.  Take your disagreement off line rather than derailing this thread and generating further incivility. If you feel that you have witnessed a violation of the TOS or the guidelines for these forums, please use the abuse report processes.  

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

My next phone is gonna be a flip phone.. just a regular old cell phone without all the wonky appcrapp.

I'm in envy.

The world is getting to a point where a smart phone is a necessity and computers, especially higher end ones are a luxury. I can go out today and with no money down and a small monthly payment obtain a high end Samsung or Google Pixel phone with enough monthly data to play SL without much issue, especially casting the screen to a larger monitor or TV.

Smart Phones will soon be a desktop replacement as it already is for many of the younger generation who have no wish to be tethered to our ancient machines.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Fun fact. The apparently sedate equine sport of "Dressage" is in fact part of War Horse training. The ability to move your horse  in any direction via knee pressure commands, while using your hands to hold sabre and horse pistol, to maintain formation, and avoid blows in combat.

Even more fun, that fancy jump/back kick, that you see the horses from the "Spanish Riding School" do in videos, is actually a combat manouver intended to kill infantry or cripple an opponents horse in close quarter melee.

Trampling infantry requires special training.

Lipizzaner stallions. The maneuver is called the Capriole.

With and without riders. The ones without riders are "in training". It's a display of how they are trained.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The way the Dark Ages were a replacement for the Roman Empire, with it's paved roads, clean drinking water, and sewage systems.

Crapping in a bucket and throwing it out the window? Progress!

It is about the mobility and downsizing things for easier transport. That is why we no longer have computers that take up a city block!

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

It is about the mobility and downsizing things for easier transport. That is why we no longer have computers that take up a city block!

And yet, businesses STILL use mainframe computers, and server farms in large refrigerated rooms, that you cannot put in a pocket or a handbag. So your "point" isn't a point at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And yet, businesses STILL use mainframe computers, and server farms in large refrigerated rooms, that you cannot put in a pocket or a handbag. So your "point" isn't a point at all.

You said it, "in large refrigerated rooms" rather then whole city blocks and the amount of data that can be served by them is exponentially more then it used to be. I bought one of those smart watches the other day for 29.95 that is comparable in functionality to my smart phone a decade ago and was 8-900 dollars. 

It will be interesting to hear whether the new mobile viewer will be capable of PBR and EEP won't it as I would think the Lindens would have wanted to have those features available so that one would be better off with a cheap mobile device then a $1000+ desktop.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Not for me - apart from other considerations I can't see well enough to do that.

Most phones nowadays have the ability to be casted or mirrored to larger screens whether monitors or digital TV's through either wireless or wired connections, thereby allowing their use as either a mobile device or a docked desktop replacement with added bluetooth mice and keyboards.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

We are a ways off from a smart phone being an actual Desktop replacement - streaming/remote services do not count in that either.

People really need to stop pretending we are farther along than we are.

People need to stop pretending that the average SL resident requires anything more then a basic tablet or phone for the computing power required to do basic interactions within SL itself.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Most phones nowadays have the ability to be casted or mirrored to larger screens whether monitors or digital TV's through either wireless or wired connections, thereby allowing their use as either a mobile device or a docked desktop replacement with added bluetooth mice and keyboards.

Given the price of high end smartphones, high end monitors, mice, and keyboards, I'd rather have a desktop and be done with it.

My SL doesn't NEED "mobility and ease of transport", as it's something I do at home, where its comfortable, and undisturbed.

I have NO desire to run SL on a screen the size of my hand, on  crowded train or bus.

39 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The way the Dark Ages were a replacement for the Roman Empire, with it's paved roads, clean drinking water, and sewage systems.

Crapping in a bucket and throwing it out the window? Progress!

32 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is about the mobility and downsizing things for easier transport

Yes indeed,  bucket of crap is far easier to carry around with you than a city wide sewage system.

Well done Arielle.

What's next? Going to try and convince us that sipping muddy water out of hoof prints results in more mobility than having a public supply of clean drinking water?

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The world is getting to a point where a smart phone is a necessity and computers, especially higher end ones are a luxury. I can go out today and with no money down and a small monthly payment obtain a high end Samsung or Google Pixel phone with enough monthly data to play SL without much issue, especially casting the screen to a larger monitor or TV.

Smart Phones will soon be a desktop replacement as it already is for many of the younger generation who have no wish to be tethered to our ancient machines.

I could have sworn High end desktop prices have gone down after looking at them a week or so ago. I can get a new high end computer for half the cost of what my high end computer cost me where we got this one..

What's a new Iphone going for? Because  I'm pretty sure I seen some pretty nice computers that were lower priced than an Iphone.

Ya, there are deals out there for both, but  price to price no deals.. Are they really that much less expensive than a nice computer?