• Moles

Using this thread to try to re-open a discussion that led to another thread being removed would be an absolutely terrible idea.

Please remember that the Forum Participation Guidelines prohibit

Abuse of Moderation or Moderators: Moderation decisions are made to provide you with a productive environment for conversations about Second Life. We understand that sometimes those decisions may not be the popular one, but we ask that you understand the moderation decisions are always made with the best of intentions for the community. We prohibit

abuse of our moderation process, including the following:

• Posts that discuss or re-post material that has been removed or locked by a moderator
  • Posts questioning a moderator’s decision
  • Posts that discuss the status of any Resident account (e.g., on hold, suspended, etc.)
  • Frivolous or malicious use of the abuse report feature
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:
19 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Thinking it's ok to control the conversation.

I used to go to a weekly salon meeting in SL for a while.

At first, I thought you meant a "hair/beauty salon"!

That is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Using this thread to try to re-open a discussion that led to another thread being removed would be an absolutely terrible idea.

Please remember that the Forum Participation Guidelines prohibit

Just so you know, that was never my intent. I've never been one to restart a closed thread let alone a removed one. That's not who I am. 🙂

Edit: It was meant to be funny, not a poke at moderation.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume they'd have a tablet.  You know, for reading and stuff.

Of course.

8-mathematical.jpg.420fed4ecf657a080246dd9ebbb08753.jpg

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-mathematical-mystery-ancient-babylonian-clay.amp

Joking aside though, when I went to school we didn't have cell phones and weren't even allowed to use calculators on tests until we were in high school. No open book tests either.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Joking aside though, when I went to school we didn't have cell phones and weren't even allowed to use calculators on tests until we were in high school. No open book tests either.

Same. My brother's generation was actually one of the last ones that were taught to use abacuses at school, even. That was a long-buried memory that was dredged up by your ancient tablet post. :D Sorry for the digression.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This wasn't allowed in my high school, either. In addition, no online sources - books only, everything properly cited, MLA.

I'll never forget my American History instructor in community college years later (I was taking random classes for funsies - already had my design degree) pulling me aside after class once to thank and compliment me on turning in a properly-cited paper with a complete bibliography in MLA style. I was apparently the only one in class who did.

Honestly, high school and college were a massive peeve for me. It always seemed that most people slept their way through and did the bare minimum and that annoyed the stuffins outta me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I was in-between the "slide-rule" generation and the "must have calculators" generation.

Basically, while "Scientific Calculators" existed, they were still pretty expensive and I can't imagine any of my high school classes requiring them. We may have been "allowed" calculators for certain tests, but I don't remember it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Same. My brother's generation was actually one of the last ones that were taught to use abacuses at school, even. That was a long-buried memory that was dredged up by your ancient tablet post. :D Sorry for the digression.

Using an abacus 🧮 would be cool.

My father used a sliderule, even as a professional engineer, before calculators were portable computers available to most people.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Using a abacus 🧮 would be cool.

My father used a sliderule, even as a professional engineer, before calculators were portable computers available to most people.

Yeah, I had older relatives who used slide rules for work. I found them fascinating as a kid but never learned how to use them. :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was in-between the "slide-rule" generation and the "must have calculators" generation.

Basically, while "Scientific Calculators" existed, they were still pretty expensive and I can't imagine any of my high school classes requiring them. We may have been "allowed" calculators for certain tests, but I don't remember it.

Using a calculator during lessons, and especially during exams, would have gotten one expelled at my grade and high schools, at least until junior and senior year, when they required us to have expensive scientific calculators for certain classes. Oof, the memories. LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think our high school generation was the last to actually still be taught how to use a slide rule.  My Dad gave me his Log-Log-Decitrig model when I was in (I think) 10th grade and we had to bring one to math class.  I got a big, heavy TI "pocket" calculator when I was in college.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Yeah, I had older relatives who used slide rules for work. I found them fascinating as a kid but never learned how to use them. :D 

I kept seeing references to "slip sticks" in Bob Heinlein novels, and wondered what the hell they were, so I looked it up, thought it sounded interesting, and managed to find an office stationers shop that STILL sold them, so I actually have one, someplace, and sort of know how to use it, because it came with a little instruction booklet in the plastic case.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I kept seeing references to "slip sticks" in Bob Heinlein novels, and wondered what the hell they were, so I looked it up, thought it sounded interesting, and managed to find an office stationers shop that STILL sold them, so I actually have one, someplace, and sort of know how to use it, because it came with a little instruction booklet in the plastic case.

I tried to look up "slip sticks" but totally failed. I'd love to know more!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think our high school generation was the last to actually still be taught how to use a slide rule.  My Dad gave me his Log-Log-Decitrig model when I was in (I think) 10th grade and we had to bring one to math class.  I got a big, heavy TI "pocket" calculator when I was in college.

My Dad gave me a sliderule and showed me how to use it, but I never needed to use it, so the knowledge didn't stick. I had a Texas Instrament calculator in high school, but we weren't always allowed to use calculators on tests. I remember taking one chemistry test in which I "cheated" by looking up some conversion equation in the booklet for my calculator.

1 minute ago, Emma Krokus said:

I tried to look up "slip sticks" but totally failed. I'd love to know more!

Slip stick is/was apparently some slang expression Robert A. Heinlein used for "slide rule" in some of his books, including the use of "Slipstiick" as a nickname for a character skilled in theoretical math.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1