19 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

And here, I think, you are getting to the crux of the matter. Considering other remarks, about stupid people from "other" countries, and similar remarks, I think these oddball things are really just veiled, Anti-American, hate speech, and done in such a way as not to contradict community guidelines. I could be wrong, of course.  I noticed this a while back, but wasn't going to say anything, but since you pointed out "depends on which side of the ocean you're on..." :/ 

And yes, that would be a peeve of mine.

Yes. I try not to read it, reporting the posts is awkward since she is obviously baiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't think it's technically hate speech, but it is myopic. The English language is used in several countries with minor variations. There isn't just one correct way to spell our words.

Hard to know another's intention. I've just pieced together a few things and it isn't all about spelling. But, as I mentioned just now to Rollig... meh. Not gonna get drawn into it any more than what I just did, like Rollig wisely indicated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I don't know you, but I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I hope you decide to stay.

I really don't know anyone on these forums. I'm shy and awkward and I get the impression most of the time people don't like me. That is an insecurity of mine, but I also realize all of us have our own insecurities. When I first joined the forums, I came with the idea I was going to try and make friends. That never happened, but I still enjoy reading and responding to some topics. I do this for me. No one else. That's why I remain.

I'm trying to say in a very awkward way that more people understand how you feel than you may realize. I hope if you enjoy taking part here, that you continue to do so. If you're happy not being here, then I understand too. I really hope you feel better soon Silent. Take care.

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: Doing my best to become a member of a community (in good standing) only for it all to come crashing down. Apparently, I'm a sh*tty human being and make everyone around me miserable. I'm exactly the opposite of what I try to be. All I ever wanted was to be accepted somewhere and feel like I had some sort of family. I'm sorry.

May you all find happiness and good fortune.

One is a member when they say they are. " I post, therefore I am!" My feelings are immaterial to the reality of my membership here and are not subject to whether my individual posts are liked, thanked, laughed, scorned or WTF'ed or not responded to at all. The responses or lack of others acceptance, are unimportant to the reality of my membership here. I post when I am led to and try not to have expectations of what the result may be. 

I've had to become a member of various groups over the years, not all voluntarily and that temptation to not "feel" I am a part of can be there at times but then I remember that by virtue of my contributions, good, bad or indifferent, I am a part of. I have nothing to prove outside of that and it is up to my fickle feelings to come in line with that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Rolig Loon The Wright Brothers built their aeroplanes using the guidelines and principles of aeronautics written by Sir George Cayley (1773-1857), the English-born "father of aeronautics".

The Wright Brothers admitted it even themselves, after their own first powered flight in the "Kitty Hawk Flyer", saying that they could not have been achieved their flight without Cayley's lifetime of aeronautical research and work, which was published for all to read and use.

Cayley even flew small unmanned model aeroplanes and gliders literally over half a century before the Wright Brothers were even born. So to say the Wright Brothers "invented" the aeroplane is both inaccurate and untrue.

The Wright Brothers didn't even achieve the first powered flight, an honour which went to Henri Giffard of France in 1852, who flew a steam-powered airship HALF A CENTURY before the Wright Brother's own first flight of 1903.

As with most "history" that originates from North America, it is often untrue and warped in such a way to show the US in the best possible nationalistic way, at the expense of actual truth or fact.

oops. well that's what it looks like before it gets edited beyond recognition... allegedly... nothing to do with spelling

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The wing of a what? Don't you mean "aerocraft"?

I'm so confused..there goes my "low comprehension" again.

An aircraft is any type of flying craft which can fly in the atmosphere.

A helicopter is a type of aircraft which uses one or more rotary wings for its lift. ("helicopter" means helix and wing in Greek)

An aeroplane is a type of aircraft which uses a fixed horizontal aeroplane wing for its lift.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Hard to know another's intention. I've just pieced together a few things and it isn't all about spelling. But, as I mentioned just now to Rollig... meh. Not gonna get drawn into it any more than what I just did, like Rollig wisely indicated.

Who are we to say, whether someone else's pet peeve is genuinely other people's spelling, and generally accepted history? It doesn't mean there's some deep seated insecurity, just from the apparent need to poke everyone else. I could be wrong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

as I mentioned just now to Rollig... meh.

Now, if you'd like an arcane peeve, my SL name is ROLIG, which could be translated two different ways, depending on which end of Scandinavia you favor.  If you are Swedish, "rolig" means "funny", in the way that a story can be funny.  If you are Danish, "rolig" means "calm".  I rather like the name with both meanings. It embodies two of my deepest wishes.  I have rarely seen myself as either funny or calm; I admire people who are.

So, it's "Rolig", without an extra "l" or an "n", but with a "g" on the end.  I've seen all the variants, but I prefer mine. ;) 

• Like 5

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Now, if you'd like an arcane peeve, my SL name is ROLIG, which could be translated two different ways, depending on which end of Scandinavia you favor.  If you are Swedish, "rolig" means "funny", in the way that a story can be funny.  If you are Danish, "rolig" means "calm".  I rather like the name with both meanings. It embodies two of my deepest wishes.  I have rarely seen myself as either funny or calm; I admire people who are.

So, it's "Rolig", without an extra "l" or an "n", but with a "g" on the end.  I've seen all the variants, but I prefer mine. ;) 

Laughs! Sorry. My typing is awful. I was even looking AT your name when I typed it. I'd go back and change it but then your post wouldn't make sense. If it makes you feel any better, no one, including me, can spell Seicher correctly. Feel free to botch it at will. :)

Ahhhh, must be the monthly celebration of All Hallows Pedantic Eve.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

If it makes you feel any better, no one, including me, can spell Seicher correctly. Feel free to botch it at will. :)

Nah, I wasn't peeving at you, @Seicher Rae.  It's an odd name.  I'm not surprised or even really peeved when it's misspelled.  After 15 years here, I've heard them all.  I know who I am, and that's what counts. I just felt like mentioning  that the name "Rolig" actually does mean something. I chose it rather carefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I've often wondered where your name came from.  It's quite unique.  Thanks for sharing the origin.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some semantics are too pedantic to waste breath worrying over.

Thank goodness, Google and dictionaries cleared it right up for me, personally. Oddly, my searches didn't turn up any references to "slurring" or "lazy".  My low-comprehension will just settle for what I did find.

10 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I'm sorry, but I'm really curious to see a single rotary wing helo

7 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Never heard of NOTAR helicopters?

Not an airy-naughty-cal engineer here, but you also notice Charalyne, that you spoke of one thing, while you were responded to with another: a helicopter that doesn't have have a tail rotor, which is not what you said. In fact the reference to the NOTAR gloriously misses the point. tsk tsk  When Googling skills are better than actual knowledge skills, it can result in peevish things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In my world, a "fan" is a rotary wing. So, the NOTAR helicopter has... two!

I've been trying to remember the olden times word for helicopter. Maddy, you should know..please, what is it? Something quaint, but it slips my mind. 

ETA: Gyro! I had read it in reprints of the "Complete Buck Rogers" as a kid.

And again: ok, ok..Google reminded me the difference between a helicopter and a "gyrocopter". No need to quibble! But if memory serves, as of the original Buck Rogers strips, neither actually existed yet. So the strip's writer chose "gyro" because it was Science Fiction at that time. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1