2 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Whether the politician got it from a creative writer or actually thought it up... they chose to stand up and say it. So I am fine with throwing my eggs at the politician.

Or tacos in the case of Jill Biden after telling a group of Latino voters they were as "unique" as "breakfast tacos"?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Amusement, rather than peeve.

1) Tell me that you've never listened to a lyric from a Rage Against the Machine song, without telling me that you've never listened to a lyric from a Rage Against the Machine song.

RATM is currently on tour for the first time in about a decade. And being RATM, they are using projections and stage patter to take aim against the Right, the overturning of Roe vs. Wade, etc.

And my Twitter feed keeps producing complaints from "fans" who think that the band was better "when they weren't so political."

Huh? Lol.

Who? *googles*

Oh. 

Genres: Rap metal; rap rock; funk metal; alternative metal

Not my cuppa.

Did it work?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

One thing I'm always curious about with politicians and them saying things that become great quotes..

I always wonder, did they have someone writing for them that came up with those?

A lot of times politicians get the credit or the fire because of speech writers..

I just wonder is all hehehe

There are speech writers, to be sure. But, politicians gotta start somewhere, usually without 'em. Then they rise in popularity and power until they get some. There are also unscripted exchanges that give a glimpse into the wit, or lack of it, of politicians.

Churchill has been credited with history's funniest insult, which seems unscripted...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/my-dear-you-are-ugly-but-tomorrow-i-shall-be-sober-and-you-will-still-be-ugly-winston-churchill-tops-poll-of-history-s-funniest-insults-8878622.html

Still, having known Rolig for over a decade, I can believe she really might...

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

say many more insightful and quotable things on any given day than Churchill ever did

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I suspect politicians get quoted because people expect them to say things that ought to be quoted. I actually say many more insightful and quotable things on any given day than Churchill ever did, but the press is never around when I say them.

I had watched that series, the crown, which I know a lot is fiction.. But it kind of had me looking at a lot of things differently.. Like Who in their right mind would ever want to be a Princess or a King after seeing that.. hehehe

I guess that series just gave a bit more depth and perspective in that world..

I guess I get curious with people in history, like Churchill. If they were good on the spot with improve or if things were written for them..

I always kind of like to think,  they just shot it out there on their own..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Okay? Okay?? Okay???

Hey, at least you tried it.

Root beer is generally quite sweet, and therefore more attractive to naive children than sophisticated adults here in the US.

There's nothing I love more than playing the naive child in the presence of sophisticated adults.

Sometimes there is an accounting for taste.

There's root beer and then there's sarsaparilla and sassafras. Only certain "brands" of root beer are worth a damn. The good stuff comes from sarsaparilla or sassafras.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

By way of passing, I'll also add that I criticized Sarah's posting not so much because the video was mocking this woman's ignorance for our entertainment (which, I agree with Maddy, is gross, mean-spirited, and cruel), but because Sarah was using it to mock Americans.

I see it more as slippery slope and fine line. In both cases they are representative of the USA and as such there would not be any real difference in how people outside of the US should poke fun at them. That's not to say I wouldn't but I would use the same reasoning for either.

• Confused 1

I'm keeping count ...

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I suspect politicians get quoted because people expect them to say things that ought to be quoted. I actually say many more insightful and quotable things on any given day than Churchill ever did, but the press is never around when I say them.

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

say many more insightful and quotable things on any given day than Churchill ever did

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not even a half hour and I am already well ahead of Churchill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

One of the most famous lined credited to Churchill probably didn't start with him. 

"Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."

"Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it."

The earliest this exchange is printed seems from this article to be in 1899.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
corrected date
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One of the most famous lined credited to Churchill probably didn't start with him. 

The earliest this exchange is printed seems from this article to be in 1900.

Sounds like something Fred & Ethel (William Frawley & Vivian Vance) would say to each other in RL. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pet Peeves .. Next >

Passion killer. 

Pulling stupid faces while getting humped.

I have several avatars with current LeLutka heads and they all do the same thing when getting bouncy with a partner during animations.  I try to turn off 'FACES' within the Adjust menu but more often than not it is set to Owner Only.

Within the head HUD there is an option to toggle the external 'Trigger' on/off but it never works. I sometimes wish I had an early version mesh head which didn't move at all.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I see it more as slippery slope and fine line. In both cases they are representative of the USA and as such there would not be any real difference in how people outside of the US should poke fun at them. That's not to say I wouldn't but I would use the same reasoning for either.

I believe this says much more about your knowledge of the world than that of other people outside the US. My BFF is Iranian. Her critiques of Iranian society feel very familiar to me, with politicians in power saying stupid things with real consequences and beauty contestants saying stupid things because "gotcha" gets good ratings.

It would be very difficult to explain the significant difference in the world's opinion of US citizens and the US Government if everybody had as much expressed difficulty distinguishing context as you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CandyCole said:

Pet Peeves .. Next >

Passion killer. 

Pulling stupid faces while getting humped.

I have several avatars with current LeLutka heads and they all do the same thing when getting bouncy with a partner during animations.  I try to turn off 'FACES' within the Adjust menu but more often than not it is set to Owner Only.

Within the head HUD there is an option to toggle the external 'Trigger' on/off but it never works. I sometimes wish I had an early version mesh head which didn't move at all.

I think you need an animation going that is higher priority than what is in the furniture ,like priority 4..

I wonder, if one animation is the same priority as the one in the furniture , if it will override a current running animation at the same priority?

If it did work then all you have to do is find one you like and run it before you sit down..

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The earliest this exchange is printed seems from this article to be in 1899.

That sounds more like something W. C. Fields would say.

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The earliest this exchange is printed seems from this article to be in 1900.

If you trace the provenance of famous quotes (and you have), you'll find lots of appropriation and misattribution. Rolig has evidenced this over the years, too.

Having heard a witty thing, it's only natural to make use of it. Doing so well does require some wit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I believe this says much more about your knowledge of the world than that of other people outside the US. My BFF is Iranian. Her critiques of Iranian society feel very familiar to me, with politicians in power saying stupid things with real consequences and beauty contestants saying stupid things because "gotcha" gets good ratings.

It would be very difficult to explain the significant difference in the world's opinion of US citizens and the US Government if everybody had as much expressed difficulty distinguishing context as you.

Best to try sticking with a consistent principle then trying to justify double standards with "context".

14 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In some countries, you BETTER not make fun of the King.  Thailand comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse-majesté_in_Thailand

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
16 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Expand  

Best to try sticking with a consistent principle then trying to justify double standards with "context".

It's not justifying anything. It's just a fact that we look down more on those who, for example,  punch a baby vs those who punch an adult. Both are bad, but the power difference makes punching the baby much worse in our eyes. Punching up is often acceptable while punching down rarely is, in other words.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's not justifying anything. It's just a fact that we look down more on those who, for example,  punch a baby vs those who punch an adult. Both are bad, but the power difference makes punching the baby much worse in our eyes. Punching up is often acceptable while punching down rarely is, in other words.

Like dis!! \o/

93N.gif