LL partnering with Speedlight & PremPlus gets Speedlight benefits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I guess the point here and Ceka will have to correct me if I'm wrong is that if P+ keeps getting new perks added and Premium doesn't then it will feel that Premium is a legacy product that is left behind and no longer cared about by LL.  Until P+ came along, any additional perks were added to Premium which along with price did increase.  Through this lens, assuming that prices will not be frozen for Premium, it's fair to want there to be additional perks for Premium too going forward.

It's how services work in general isn't it? I never get more features in my ISP subscription, but I can upgrade to a plan with more features, usually speed. My home insurance doesn't get extra perks added, but there are more expensive variants available if I want to be insured against stubbing my toes on the sofa. Netflix isn't going to add games or music with their subscription without there being a higher tier for those... and so on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

It's how services work in general isn't it? I never get more features in my ISP subscription, but I can upgrade to a plan with more features, usually speed. My home insurance doesn't get extra perks added, but there are more expensive variants available if I want to be insured against stubbing my toes on the sofa. Netflix isn't going to add games or music with their subscription without there being a higher tier for those... and so on.

You have a point and some things do work like that but others don't.  I sometimes get more special offers or perks included in my ISP plan, my mobile plan and even once or twice discounts to keep me with my energy company.  I don't live in the US though.

Netflix did actually add games for us in NZ without any price increase - we've had them for about 6 months.

At first I was kinda excited by this, but I'd kinda forgotten what SpeedLight is, and realized I'd need to see how advanced this "Advanced 3D World View" has become. Logging in, I was reminded just how underwhelming it is. I mean, way less capable than Lumiya was, and if there have been advances in the year or so since I last tried it, they're pretty subtle.

I could imagine using it as a kind of chat client in an extreme pinch, but there's already the free version for that (unless it's an extended "extreme pinch" I guess). So personally, I can't imagine paying for the service, and hence I don't know what value I'd get from the version bundled with Plus.

It's nowhere near viable for expanding the SL userbase to the huge market of mobile and superlight notebook devices, and that's really a shame for keeping SL afloat medium term. I think it would be way more interesting if Plus offered a streaming, "server side rendering" client, now that demand for crypto-mining has crashed and GPUs are available for legitimate uses again. (And shouldn't Google have a fire sale on Stadia scraps?) Would still cost something, though, unlike this strange partnership offer that must be in the rounding error of Plus accounting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I guess the point here and Ceka will have to correct me if I'm wrong is that if P+ keeps getting new perks added and Premium doesn't then it will feel that Premium is a legacy product that is left behind and no longer cared about by LL.  Until P+ came along, any additional perks were added to Premium which along with price did increase.  Through this lens, assuming that prices will not be frozen for Premium, it's fair to want there to be additional perks for Premium too going forward.

That's pretty much it..If it goes that way then I'll be done with it..

I might be done with it anyways in the next year, for other reasons besides having anything to do with SL.

I don't even really know why I'm letting it get to me really..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Not all companies are the same. My ISP gives "free" upgrades every few years - no strings attached. Sometimes it is because the standard speed increased. When it went to 100mb, they upgraded without even telling me, and switched out my modem (the old one stopped working). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not all companies are the same. My ISP gives "free" upgrades every few years - no strings attached. Sometimes it is because the standard speed increased. When it went to 100mb, they upgraded without even telling me, and switched out my modem (the old one stopped working). 

Yeah - though that's an edge case where maintaining the old stuff that allowed for the capability would be more expensive than just upgrading you to the slowest "modern" plan. Some kind of situation like "oh, that person still has one of those modems? how do we even service them- oh, just give 'em the new one..."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Premium Plus needs a 15 day free trial, so naive peeps who believe deceptive advertising can try Speedlight out. They won't realize there is a free version, because they will believe SL marketing.

Last I checked, you could try Speedlight for free anytime..this was before I was Premium Plus.

Just plain old Premium.

Speedlight was still working on the 3D view at that time, and I think you had to do something special to "stay logged in".  All of that may have changed.

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some people aren't grasping the fact that LL doesn't expect people to get PP just to get free gold access to Speedlight.  It's just an add on perk for those who might use it.  Otherwise, non PP user could easily pay around $9 a month, less than PP costs, and get it on their own.  I used it once when my computer was down and needed to pay rent.  The free version was quite handy for that.

This smacks of nothing more then the throwing of a bone to absolve themselves of having to go any further with the mobile solution that they have been promising for a couple years now. Does nothing for the attraction of the potential new user crowd as it is geared to the upper echelon of creators and developers to whom the P+ might already be somewhat attractive. Therefore, a small minority of users. Maybe the P+ didn't take off as well as they had hoped and they are scrambling to sweeten the pot somewhat, without having to do too much work or investment themselves. If as others are saying the Advanced 3D is not that good, then they will likely start offering it to basic premiums down the road.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

This seems like an overreaction. Premium Plus seems like it's designed for the needs of business owners in Second Life, honestly. Unlimited uploads and concierge customer support seem like the things someone who runs a shop or a busy club would want. If premium plus isn't for you, fine. But there is value there for someone who makes a good amount of their income in world. 

So you took time to read the beginning of the comment, but not the rest? That's literally what i've said.

But go off I guess.

Lumiya was created by a single regular person and is still popular to this day even after going defunct years ago.

Linden Lab, a multi-million dollar company, struggled so much to create a mobile app of its own that it just gave up and let a third party Viewer turn it's residents into stick people as a mobile option for their highest membership plan.

That is sad. I don't care what any of you have to say. That. Is. Sad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I may be in the minority, but that additional 1024 really makes a difference to me - and I am not a business owner.

You could have had that by increasing your tier by just USD 7/month though. That's way less than going P+
There must have been something else that attracted you as well as that.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
corrected amount
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I may be in the minority, but that additional 1024 really makes a difference to me - and I am not a business owner.

You could have had that by increasing your tier by just USD 7/month though. That's way less than going P+
There must have been something else that attracted you as well as that.

I dunno, my memory is..wait for it..that I wanted to support LL and Second Life? *shocking!*

But we do also get more L$ stipend too for Ploos, of course.. even us non-creators!

Interesting, that I don't recall Ploos that cost more than an extra $84/year. Meh, it's just money.

I am an "early adopter" this time around. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimKoul said:

Lumiya was created by a single regular person and is still popular to this day even after going defunct years ago.

Linden Lab, a multi-million dollar company, struggled so much to create a mobile app of its own that it just gave up and let a third party Viewer turn it's residents into stick people as a mobile option for their highest membership plan.

That is sad. I don't care what any of you have to say. That. Is. Sad.

Cheer up! If you want to, I mean. 

Nothing wrong with being sad, experiencing the full range of human emotions and all that.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

This smacks of nothing more then the throwing of a bone to absolve themselves of having to go any further with the mobile solution that they have been promising for a couple years now. Does nothing for the attraction of the potential new user crowd as it is geared to the upper echelon of creators and developers to whom the P+ might already be somewhat attractive. Therefore, a small minority of users. Maybe the P+ didn't take off as well as they had hoped and they are scrambling to sweeten the pot somewhat, without having to do too much work or investment themselves. If as others are saying the Advanced 3D is not that good, then they will likely start offering it to basic premiums down the road.

That's kind of my take on it since we really haven't heard much about their own plans for a mobile client.  It's certainly not a reason to get PP but it would save money for anyone already using Speedlight for business.

My only issue is the photo they used in the blog post.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's kind of my take on it since we really haven't heard much about their own plans for a mobile client.  It's certainly not a reason to get PP but it would save money for anyone already using Speedlight for business.

My only issue is the photo they used in the blog post. 

Since there is a) this "free if Ploos" partnership, and b) I remember one of the Lindens posting a reply with "they use it!" then, I presume LL won't be working on their own mobile client anytime soon.   But knowing a trusted Linden uses it themselves and recommends it, to me is a vote of confidence in Speedlight.

Crazy name though, reminds me of the old "Red Light! Green Light!" game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But knowing a trusted Linden uses it themselves and recommends it, to me is a vote of confidence in Speedlight.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, Grumpity Linden said:

Don't take this as an official endorsement, but Speedlight.io does do a lot of the things you're talking about for mobile.  It's on _my_ phone. ;)

We have not abandoned our mobile plans.  We just don't have anything we can share right this minute. But it's very much an active direction for us.

Maybe this is a stop gap plan while they continue work on their own mobile client?  Guess we wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
On 5/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, Grumpity Linden said:

Don't take this as an official endorsement, but Speedlight.io does do a lot of the things you're talking about for mobile.  It's on _my_ phone. ;)

We have not abandoned our mobile plans.  We just don't have anything we can share right this minute. But it's very much an active direction for us.

Maybe this is a stop gap plan while they continue work on their own mobile client?  Guess we wait and see.

Yup! That's the quote!! You're good at Forum!

Sorry, I forgot the rest, "..have not abandoned our mobile plans.."

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think you have to DRINK the pp, it's like Kool-Aid but more yellow.

of course it's possible to make a joke about everything, but we'r talking about a 250 usd a year, ( or  around 400 usd in monthly subscription ) what is hanging on some vague promesses. I think some of the current subscribers will think twice before the renewal.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Unless I skimmed past something stating the speedlight graphics had improved or that being premium plus enables you to see anything, there’s no advantage over just enabling offline ims to email for regular, non business needs.  I log into speedlight in a houseboat region & next to nothing renders.  And everyone is a literal stick figure.    It’s great for chat, but is of no use to me personally past chat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

My point is, Been paying premium for 16 years, and when they came up with premium plus I said, as long as they don't start cutting premium off, I'll still keep updating it.. But if it starts to feel like it's not premium and we start getting left out like it's basic. I'll start thinking about it.

It's not the perk, it's the point, as well as my money..

Bodies are for new users experience  and an update for the grid, because the old ones were outdated, just like the ones before those and the ones before those.

What I disagree about this is that you shouldn't be buying a membership with the mindset of getting more perks, and yes for the perks that you get with the membership right now.

The thing is that Premium is already in a good cost-benefit situation for many people, while the cost-benefit of Premium Plus it's only good for niche situations, so I understand why they need to focus on updating the perks of P+ more than Premium.

And also, not so long ago they decreased the price of buying a last name for Premium, so that means that they are still open to the idea of adding more perks for Premium as well.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.