LL partnering with Speedlight & PremPlus gets Speedlight benefits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

41 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm guessing if were as easy as some people think it is, it would definitely have been done already.

Definitely my thoughts as well, I believe breaking into the mobile market would be a boon for LL.  There are a lot of people out there, that mostly just use their phones to connect to the Internet with.  I wonder if they had devoted all of the effort they had put into Sansar, and instead focused it into a mobile app similar to SL if it would have been a larger success.

I think one of the reasons why we see Meta doing so horribly, and correct me if I am wrong, but it is due to the limitations of of Meta Quest - it just doesn't have the processing power to perform a lot more than what they have come up with.  It looks horrible to the rest of us, but there are limitations to the hardware.  SL would also run into such limitations on mobile devices. 

Edited by Istelathis

41 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm guessing if were as easy as some people think it is, it would definitely have been done already.  I mean, there would be no reason for LL NOT to if it were simple.  Just sayin'.

I'm guessing if there were widespread demand for this, LL would have put a team on it with more manpower as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made an alt with no piof to test speedlight mobile app on Android.

Using it on mobile data in a busy sim, forget it.

Using it on WiFi in a busy sim, fine and steady.

Didn't try the 3d mode (yet) on either connection but I will try when time permits

Fact check first for certain people:  These are the same results I got from lumiya and mobile grid client under the same test conditions.

The "only" thing that bothers me is that our im remains on their servers. 

Would be nice to know a little bit more about that side of it since I don't want to jump to conclusions and post without fact checking first.

@Glaznah Gassner

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not true in my experience (context of a Phone browser at least), there is an option "stay logged in"; if you do not choose that, merely closing the browser window logs you out.  When I first used Speedlight, this option caused me great annoyance. (Closing the browser logged you out.  I assume it still does in certain contexts.)

Yes, I omitted to say that staying logged in after the browser is closed, including turning the computer off, is a choice at login. I.e. you can also choose to stay logged in only until you logout or close the browser. I use Speedlight every day now but I've never used that option, so I don't know if, when choosing it, you can stay logged in ad-infinitum as long as the browser isn't closed, or if you get logged out after the normal 6 hours.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've never used that option, so I don't know if, when choosing it, you can stay logged in ad-infinitum as long as the browser isn't closed, or if you get logged out after the normal 6 hours.

You still get logged out, last I checked. There might still be a timer in some corner of the page.

14 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I use Speedlight every day now but I've never used that option, so I don't know if, when choosing it, you can stay logged in ad-infinitum as long as the browser isn't closed, or if you get logged out after the normal 6 hours.

I bet you only get ad infinitum time if you pay (i.e., Gold) or are Premium Plus.

4 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Would be nice to know a little bit more about that side of it since I don't want to jump to conclusions and post without fact checking first.

Yes, that's an oddity that's puzzled me. I can say that IMs are/were definitely stored.

I started to use Speedlight about a week ago. In that time I had two brief IM chats.  Those chats remained available after logging out, just they are in a normal viewer, except that, with Speedlight, you don't need to open an IM to a person to see that chat like you do in a normal viewer. That sounds like Speedlight has them stored, but that's not my 'evidence' :)

A couple of days ago, I set my browser to delete cookies and history when closing. The next time I opened Speedlight, those IM chats were nowhere to be found BUT one from 2021 was! And it still is. I'd forgotten that I'd tried Speedlight, extremely briefly, in 2021. At that time it wasn't what I wanted so I didn't use it again until a week ago. 2021 is when the IM I'm seeing now was written.

Between then and now, I've changed computers and storage, so nothing concerning Speedlight from back then could possibly be in my current computer. And yet I can now read the IM from back then, and without even opening a chat or IM to the person. Therefore, Speedlight had it stored all the time. I have no idea why it wasn't showing before I changed the browser setting but it wasn't.

I could guess that Speedlight uses a cookie to store a number that points to stored IMs in their server, but I'm not sure that that would explain everything that happened.

Anyway, Speedlight did and/or does store IMs in their servers.

Edited by Phil Deakins

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I bet you only get ad infinitum time if you pay (i.e., Gold) or are Premium Plus.

Yes.

It may be useful for someone who wants avatars logged in permanently without having to be in attendance at any time. Maybe it would suit operating things like greeter bots, and then going away on holiday :) But you'd have the mobile with you anyway.

• Like 1

Regarding storing IMs on Speedlight's servers:

Remember that Speedlight has a persistent session even if you switch devices. If you've chosen to stay logged in, and you move from your laptop to your phone, your avatar will exist inworld the entire time because your avatar is connected to SL through Speedlight's servers, never your devices.

The same logic is used for IMs. If you were in the middle of a conversation and decided to switch devices, you'll still be able to read the conversation you just had, even though you're now on a different device with no logs.

This way you can also read messages you received while you didn't have the webpage open. If chat was not stored on Speedlight's servers, those messages would be received by your avatar (specifically by Speedlight's server which your avatar is connecting from) but none of your devices would be able to receive it, meaning you'd miss them entirely.

There's an option to delete all data when you log out.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

21 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Regarding storing IMs on Speedlight's servers:

Remember that Speedlight has a persistent session even if you switch devices. If you've chosen to stay logged in, and you move from your laptop to your phone, your avatar will exist inworld the entire time because your avatar is connected to SL through Speedlight's servers, never your devices.

The same logic is used for IMs. If you were in the middle of a conversation and decided to switch devices, you'll still be able to read the conversation you just had, even though you're now on a different device with no logs.

This way you can also read messages you received while you didn't have the webpage open. If chat was not stored on Speedlight's servers, those messages would be received by your avatar but none of your devices, meaning you'd miss them entirely.

That is as long as you register at Speedlight with an e-mail according to what I read on there this morning. If one simply logs in with S/L account and password, it does not save it across devices but only locally.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
added info

@Wulfie Reanimator

Yes, but that can't account for me being able to read an IM that I wrote to someone on the 13th March last year (a year and a half ago) when I hadn't used Speedlight from then until about a week ago.

I might account for me being able to read the two recent short IM chats for days after I had them if I was relogging every 6 hours, and that kept them 'alive', but I wasn't. I can check that though by IMing someone and seeing if it survives the 6 hours.

5 hours ago, belindacarson said:

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Yes, but that can't account for me being able to read an IM that I wrote to someone on the 13th March last year (a year and a half ago) when I hadn't used Speedlight from then until about a week ago.

I would assume Speedlight is fetching conversations from LL services. Especially based on Phil's example.  NOT storing them on their servers (why would they need to?).

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm guessing if were as easy as some people think it is, it would definitely have been done already.  I mean, there would be no reason for LL NOT to if it were simple.  Just sayin'.

15 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Definitely my thoughts as well, I believe breaking into the mobile market would be a boon for LL.  There are a lot of people out there, that mostly just use their phones to connect to the Internet with.  I wonder if they had devoted all of the effort they had put into Sansar, and instead focused it into a mobile app similar to SL if it would have been a larger success.

While you and others are questioning whether it can be done, others like myself are accessing it with a 10 year old app put out by one lone developer. Remember that LL did start development and then abandoned it either because it would be too many hoops to jump through with Apple or as we see now because they with their spinning off with Tila, are more interested the money exchanging side then they are in continued S/L development.

15 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I'm guessing if there were widespread demand for this, LL would have put a team on it with more manpower as well. 

There is a demand for it but with the long term waffling S/L has been doing, some have moved on to virtual worlds that do have a mobile viewer. Anyone following new user numbers knows demand for S/L is dropping and the ability to retain them even more so. That should tell you something right there especially when every other major gaming platform either already has a full mobile viewer or has it in the works. Small wonder that so much of the media sees S/L as old and well past its prime whereas a world like IMVU which is only one year newer then S/L, is not seen that way as it has kept pace with the market by putting out viewers which are both cross platform and mobile.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

While you and others are questioning whether it can be done, others like myself are accessing it with a 10 year old app put out by one lone developer. Remember that LL did start development and then abandoned it either because it would be too many hoops to jump through with Apple or as we see now because they with their spinning off with Tila, are more interested the money exchanging side then they are in continued S/L development.

There is a demand for it but with the long term waffling S/L has been doing, some have moved on to virtual worlds that do have a mobile viewer. Anyone following new user numbers knows demand for S/L is dropping and the ability to retain them even more so. That should tell you something right there especially when every other major gaming platform either already has a full mobile viewer or has it in the works. Small wonder that so much of the media sees S/L as old and well past its prime whereas a world like IMVU which is only one year newer then S/L, is not seen that way as it has kept pace with the market by putting out viewers which are both cross platform and mobile.

Too bad all that time and money was wasted on Sansar, they could have made a really nice mobile viewer.

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I would assume Speedlight is fetching conversations from LL services. Especially based on Phil's example.  NOT storing them on their servers (why would they need to?).

It's very strange. The short IM chat from a year and a half ago is with someone who I'd actually chatted, and probably IMed, with during the last week in Speedlight, but why would it now show me a short chat from a year and a half ago without me looking to chat or IM that person, and not show me the recent IMs?

To make it clear for anyone who hasn't used Speedlight, there is an "IMs" menu button in the permanently displayed left-side menu. Clicking that shows IMs without even having to open an IM to a person. It shows me a short IM chat with someone, that took place in Speedlight a year and a half ago. At that time I was having loads of IMs with the person in a full browser, but it doesn't show me any of those. One and a half years ago, Speedlight wasn't connected with LL, so LL wasn't 'marking' Speedlight IMs in their servers. I can only conclude that the short IM chat is being recovered from Speedlight's servers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Too bad all that time and money was wasted on Sansar, they could have made a really nice mobile viewer.

Yes but if I remember correctly, the Linden view was that because there was already a Mobile viewer in S/L (Lumiya), they didn't need to worry about it. Maybe they should have tried a little harder and sooner to make sure that the loss of the dev wouldn't result in S/L no longer having such. Lack of foresight.

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's very strange. The short IM chat from a year and a half ago is with someone who I'd actually chatted, and probably IMed, with during the last week in Speedlight, but why would it now show me a short chat from a year and a half ago without me looking to chat or IM that person, and not show me the recent IMs?

To make it clear for anyone who hasn't used Speedlight, there is an "IMs" menu button in the permanently displayed left-side menu. Clicking that shows IMs without even having to open an IM to a person. It shows me a short IM chat with someone, that took place in Speedlight a year and a half ago. At that time I was having loads of IMs with the person in a full browser, but it doesn't show me any of those. One and a half years ago, Speedlight wasn't connected with LL, so LL wasn't 'marking' Speedlight IMs in their servers. I can only conclude that the short IM chat is being recovered from Speedlight's servers.

Then, if only some chats show up, to me that means Speedlight was fetching / saving IM's differently in an earlier phase of their development process.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You probably have me blocked but I'll point it out anyway that according to what I read at Speedlight this morning, the IM's are retained by them only if you have an account there, otherwise it is just stored on your device. 

Edited by Arielle Popstar
spelling and grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You probably have me blocked but I'll point it out anyway that according to what I read at Speedlight this morning, the IM's are retained by them only if you have an account there, otherwise it is just stored on your device. 

Anyone who blocks you is possibly closed-minded, and is missing out on your insightful posts! That's just my opinion.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, belindacarson said:

Well personally I'll not jump to conclusions, sooner hear from the creator.

For the time being using it for a bot is the only use, I'll stick to lumiya.

I saw the Speedlight "feature request" survey last time I logged in, but I ignored it.

Here is a main "use-case" that I can think of:  Log into a club and stand around, but stream the music over SpeedLight - if SpeedLight will support the music streams. We'll see! (Hoping that will be a future feature, if not already in their development pipeline.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.