CNN Metaverse Report w/Philip Rosedale, Neal Stephenson

EnCore Mayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Look, she used to talk.
Doesn't talk now. 
A reaction can't hurt you.

Neither do words and yet people are suspended and banned and threads closed because of them. As a picture paints a thousand words, a sneering laugh at a serious post, is not far behind. It makes a bit of a mockery of the forum rules on abuse and harassment when done consistently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I was a little surprised that they interviewed Neal Stephenson at the beginning of the video yet made no mention of his own metaverse project, Lamina1, since it's been the focus of several news articles over the last few weeks. 

So far, other than his involvement in the project (which I suspect is more a publicity stunt than it is a serious attempt at bringing tangible benefits to the development process) there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available as to how this latest metaverse offering is going to differ from any of the others currently in development and the fact that it's incorporating blockchain technology only reinforces the impression that this is just an attempt to cash in on all the hype.. or perhaps it's just a satirical poke at all the other fledgling metaverses being developed for being brazen enough to steal the name.

Neither Lamina1 nor Stephenson responded to a request for interview, but in a white paper announcing the launch, Lamina1 says the first virtual world built on its blockchain will be called “THEEE METAVERSE” and be designed by Stephenson. It promises “a richly-imagined, interactive virtual world with an unforgettable origin story”.

(The full article with a link to the Lamina1 white paper can be found here)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I'm really not sure that discussions of posters' use of the various reaction emojis is on entirely topic for this thread.

Yet it's deeply relevant across the board because many threads are blighted by them and there are certain posters that can never let a comment by someone they dislike go by without putting a sick-looking emoji or raucous laughter emoji which are particularly nasty looking on these forums unlike, say, those used on Twitter. If you disabled ALL emojis tomorrow, the forums would be a far better place!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 9/29/2022 at 4:56 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

SL does not need a modern graphics engine overhaul,  we are fine where we are at with that today, I've seen amazing builds at the level of what unity has,  we do not need unity nor any of it's backend or building tools,  few more supported mesh implementations and some languages besides LSL, would go father then burning all the bridges and forcing unity on everyone.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I will add SL is the only virtual world that I am willing to ever be in, I've tried others from their beta offerings,  but this, this world right here, where I have real friends, where I have people whom I can call family, a place where I can come be me at, a place that exists because of people like philip and their dreams,  a place I call home,  I'm not willing to ever lose the place I call home. 

On 9/29/2022 at 5:49 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

yeah, it's fine how it is and can stay how it is.  not every one is here for the fancy pretty junk.

I had an uncle that would talk with this same temperament every time we would tell him he's too old to drive, and that he should look at some modern options like Uber.

By the time he finally did stop driving, his yearly insurance rate was more than what I paid for my whole motorcycle, brand new, because of all the crashes he'd been in.

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I had an uncle that would talk with this same temperament every time we would tell him he's too old to drive, and that he should look at some modern options like Uber.

By the time he finally did stop driving, his yearly insurance rate was more than what I paid for my whole motorcycle, brand new, because of all the crashes he'd been in.

I'm not going to be very thrilled ever with trying to push SL into a medium, it's just not meant for.  it's not meant for the masses.   also I use uber and lyft and figured out their surge pricing and know how to avoid it lol. 

56 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

it's not meant for the masses.

I tend to agree. The market has more potential than Second Life has been able to tap, though. Look at Robox's user count. Look at Steam's user count. Then look at SL's user count.

But the people running around saying that the metaverse will absorb the entire Web don't make sense. (That McKinsey study claiming the metaverse will be a multi-trillion dollar business turns out, when you finally find the actual study, to define the metaverse as including the world wide web.)

There is a "metaverse summit" sponsored by the Economist, coming up late this month. Rosedale and Stephenson are speaking, along with about a hundred others.There's a live day, at US$899, and a "virtual day", for free. The good speakers are on the live day, and there's no video of that. The virtual day has the crypto crowd, who are, at this point, irrelevant.

I think rather then seeing an overhual as a dreaded only for the shiny and pushing out the old ™ . It should be seen more like an MOT.  Everyone wins. It replaces what is completely broken. Fixes what it can and just genuinely helps the preformance for all.  Something we can hopefully all agree that Second Life needs.

As for the metaverse. Let us avoid the crypo craze that hurts our planet.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:56 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

SL does not need a modern graphics engine overhaul,

You should see Sansar (also developed by LL owned by another company now), the lighting is amazing. SL looks very flat in comparison. But I'm with you when you say it looks good, it does. The amazing content here helps. But in my opinion it's nothing like Sansar. I wish LL hadn't sold it. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

You should see Sansar (also developed by LL owned by another company now), the lighting is amazing. SL looks very flat in comparison. But I'm with you when you say it looks good, it does. The amazing content here helps. But in my opinion it's nothing like Sansar. I wish LL hadn't sold it. 

If you're willing to preprocess all the content for a scene all at once, you can do incredibly well. See any current-generation MMO. Or the Unreal Engine 5 demos. A world constructed from many parts from different sources is much tougher. But not impossible.

SL tries to do almost all optimization either when the creator makes something, or when the user views something. Not much in between. There's a major step of the content pipeline missing. As the optimization steps of the content pipeline have become more automated across the industry, it becomes more feasible to do more. Bakes on Mesh was a good first step - merge all the texture layers down to one once, during a clothing change. That beats doing it on every frame for everyone watching. I've proposed other stuff, most of which is hard but possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.