Water splash when you dive?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I set up a diving board in the pool. It has good animations. But it is no water splash when diving in. Is it possible to buy an invisible scripted prim that reacts when an avatar collide with it, and start a short burst of water particles? I could place such a prim just where the avatar dives in.

Or is it pool water that's scripted to give a splash or spray effect?

I can not remember reading about it before. 

• Like 1

Hello! Is this the one?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XP-Animated-Diving-Board/19816666

This board is at splashtown at Lutra sim. When you dive in the water it gives a splash sound and some particle water effect, but I do not know if the board has the animations, or it is just an add on. ( its also a fun sim to be at, but bring your own friends, its usually empty... )

(actually, I wouldn't know if you could buy the splash and particle effect seperately though)

Edited by shireena1
added extra info ..

19 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

Hello! Is this the one?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XP-Animated-Diving-Board/19816666

This board is at splashtown at Lutra sim. When you dive in the water it gives a splash sound and some particle water effect, but I do not know if the board has the animations, or it is just an add on. ( its also a fun sim to be at, but bring your own friends, its usually empty... )

(actually, I wouldn't know if you could buy the splash and particle effect seperately though)

Interesting, if it is in the board, I would have to buy the whole board. Too bad that I already have a diving board I like, but maybe this is the only way.

4 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I have a script that I think Whirly made which makes a sound like feet splashing through water.

There is "splashable water" that was made long ago which I still put into things, it has sound and concentric circles made, I have to find it. It was free.

That sounds like something I could use, but it should only start when an avatar dives through the prim. I am not very good with scripts, but I mean there are scripts that start when your avatar collide with the prim. Like automatic door openers.

I could not use the diving board that was suggested. The board bends up and down, and jerks my camera up and down with it. I can't look at the screen when it's like that. 

It sounds like your suggestion of an invisible prim that does the water particles as you dive through is likely want you want.  I'd suggest making a post in the scripting forum asking about it.   They may even point you to scripts already in the scripting library for that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It has good animations.

Just a note, if an avatar "enters the pool" via an animation while sitting on a diving board, as far as LSL is concerned they're probably still on the diving board, not actually in the pool.

A 'splash effect' when entering a pool wouldn't be too hard (depending on how picky you are about how "good" it looks), the main problem would probably be integration with other things.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I am absolutely going to try it! 

1 hour ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Just a note, if an avatar "enters the pool" via an animation while sitting on a diving board, as far as LSL is concerned they're probably still on the diving board, not actually in the pool.

A 'splash effect' when entering a pool wouldn't be too hard (depending on how picky you are about how "good" it looks), the main problem would probably be integration with other things.

That's a point... the diving board in the first suggestion, may perhaps only splash in that pool water. Their pools are not modify, and I like to change textures and stuff. Maybe I ruin it, but as long as it is copy, I can rez a new one and try again. I can live with no modify clothes, but things like furniture and garden stuff? No, that won't do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Yes. You are right. I tested the "Water Splash Plus" and it does not work with a diving board. So it has to be scripted in the diving board itself. Back to cannonball jumps without splash.

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Yes. You are right. I tested the "Water Splash Plus" and it does not work with a diving board. So it has to be scripted in the diving board itself. Back to cannonball jumps without splash.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's possible, though, for the water to respond to

• collisions—somebody falls into the water, and to
  • messaging from the diving board—just enough time has passed since the script started the diving animation for the splash to sound, with coordinates of where the animation pushes the avatar through the water to put the splashy particle effects

It's doable. I spent a stupid amount of time trying to get it right in my first SL house, but it shouldn't really be that difficult, just custom for each diving animation. Probably some diving boards do that now, or something like it.

• Thanks 1

I bought this pool a couple of years ago and it's been updated recently.  It has a high level of realism to it. It does not work with a separate diving board but it does have it's own diving animation that work with the pool.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XP-Animated-3D-Swimming-Pool-Square-Style/17513734

it does now have a pool ladder and can get dirty so it needs cleaning.  It also comes with a pool cover. I totally forgot I had this!

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

I have tested this one. But now I spent a lot of time making a pool as I want it. A bit different from the usual rectangle. A L-shape with an "island" for the diving board.

I go around changing small things like trying out new textures and edges.

I put down pillows on the edges, that has very good Bento animations for swim, dive, relax and sunbathing. Lots of them. And a diving board with good animations.

The pool you link to is no mod, and while the seller can send me a mod one for my own textures, the animations will not fit if I change size or other things. So until I get bored of the pool I have now, I will not change it. I have to accept no splash. 💦 

SL has limits. 😞 I can't always get what I want.

sere_012ed.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

...looks at that outflow and decides to go into business selling water to @Marianne Little.

I'll retire in three months, a rich woman.

I pump up sea water and purify it in a filter, to get rid of sand, algae and other yucky stuff. 😉

It is best to swim in salt water, without getting sand inside the bikini. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.