Designers that are deliberately avoiding releases for Maitreya?

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

the only difference i see lately is that some creators are using " Lara " instead of " Maitreya " or ....." Maitreya Lara "......and also seems that when " Petite " is part of the sizing that it is either a add on behind the name or it has its own line farther down the list of sizes.....( we certainly have to pay attention ).

• Like 1

What some should understand you have some small team of designers running up to 100 different stores/brands they can try to weaponize the process to make it look like a certain brand is no longer worth having, these groups also have competing Body Stores. the only thing Maitreyan or Slink ever did in my option was be too friendly and open with others, as some people find kindness to be a weakness.

Some people are willing to go to any means to try and be the top dog. what they don't understand its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

58 minutes ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

What some should understand you have some small team of designers running up to 100 different stores/brands they can try to weaponize the process to make it look like a certain brand is no longer worth having, these groups also have competing Body Stores. the only thing Maitreyan or Slink ever did in my option was be too friendly and open with others, as some people find kindness to be a weakness.

Some people are willing to go to any means to try and be the top dog. what they don't understand its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

Except a German Sheppard will most certainly demolish a Chihuahua.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

A designer explained things to me like this, so many bodies not enough time. I would agree with that. NO one sits and rigs 24/7. to do each body is time consuming. Maitreya still has a ton of things made for it. 

Yes but...more designers use (at least sometimes) purchased full-perm mesh than most people realize.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

Yes but...more designers use (at least sometimes) purchased full-perm mesh than most people realize.

Yes they do, in which case they are stuck with what ever the original full perm mesh maker decided to rig.  Sometimes it is their own perception of what is popular or good to rig for, and sometimes it is based on their own personal preferences.  Which does not always match up with what the end designer's patrons are looking for.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Yes they do, in which case they are stuck with what ever the original full perm mesh maker decided to rig.  Sometimes it is their own perception of what is popular or good to rig for, and sometimes it is based on their own personal preferences.  Which does not always match up with what the end designer's patrons are looking for.  

I agree!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 10:47 AM, Trinity1776 said:

I do realize , recall a while back the huge *original mesh* struggles? Well, my take was always it is all original mesh by someone, it never made sense to me. But yes, as a blogger and shopper I see many of the same styles from many different creators. It's ok, everyone is trying to make some lindens.

• Like 1

colleen, it doesn't really bother me either - there are two distinct sets of skills needed for making SL clothing today, the mesh and the texturing. I really don't mind if they aren't done by the same person or even the same brand. I would say that the availability of full perm mesh does allow a lower skill threshold for entry as far Second Life clothing designers, but hopefully the market will shake out the folks that really aren't at a skilled level with the textures. I don't want to be discouraging, but there are a lot of folks creating clothing brands in SL now that really aren't at a professional level with their texture skills. We're on such event overload right now that a lot of those folks are getting visibility. 

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to people who are really trying and making progress on their skills, I'm talking about people who slap a color or fabric texture on a full-perm mesh object, don't add any detail or shading or materials, and then consider themselves a designer.

That is one of the reasons why I started the "trending" thread...I want to see good work recognized. There is an educational aspect of that as well.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I just wish they called the petite add on something else, it is far too easy to mistakenly buy clothes that don't fit due to sharing the name with Lar

I don't know about others but anything I have seen is always clear:  Lara is the original, and Petite is just what it says Petite.  If Petite is not listed in the sizes then it isn't there if it just says Maitreya alone then it is the original Lara.  Folks just have to pay attention.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I don't know about others but anything I have seen is always clear:  Lara is the original, and Petite is just what it says Petite.  If Petite is not listed in the sizes then it isn't there if it just says Maitreya alone then it is the original Lara.  Folks just have to pay attention.

It's about Slink Petite, which was actually a thing for sometime, mostly Hourglass Petite rigs. I've seen a few stores putting up a warning for Maitreya users when Petite addon was out to pay extra attention to what petite size it was. But since Slink is pretty much dead, especially its petite addon, it's the issue only for someone who shops on the MP and digs far enough into older releases.

There's a certain shopping event where I've seen several creators not designing for Maitreya but for the most part, Maitreya is still overwhelmingly supported so it's not too much of an issue. It's the closest thing to a default female avatar and we need that in SL.

• Like 1

The style focus where I've seen this happen...I'm not sure if there's an overall name for it, but think of the intersection of Asian Style, Cyber Punk, and Streetwear. So events that are Asian-themed are ones that these designers typically participate in  -  events like Harajuku, Tokyo Zero, Hondae. But some of these designers also participate in other events - especially "dark" themed, fantasy, cyber, sci-fi, role-play.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, Modulated said:

Maitreya is doing it to themselves. Their kit is so ridiculously daunting to get a hold of, the creator wants to know all of your details and you probably have to sign in blood too..lol People are moving on looks like.

As a creator, this is my take as well, though I don't know anyone that has actually gotten far enough in the process to sign with blood. Every creator that I know, myself included, just never heard back from Maitreya after applying for the devkit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Iskusitelnitsa said:

Every creator that I know, myself included, just never heard back from Maitreya after applying for the devkit.

I am not so sure that is true.  I have a kit that I applied for a few years back,  if  I recall it was not a very cumbersome process.  I simply went to the website, filled in the application, answered all the questions asked of me, and waited about two weeks for the kit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I am not so sure that is true.  I have a kit that I applied for a few years back,  if  I recall it was not a very cumbersome process.  I simply went to the website, filled in the application, answered all the questions asked of me, and waited about two weeks for the kit.

I've applied for the kit every year since 2017 and haven't heard back and am not alone in that with other creators I know. Doing searches in my inbox for maitreya comes up with nothing. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Iskusitelnitsa said:

I've applied for the kit every year since 2017 and haven't heard back and am not alone in that with other creators I know. Doing searches in my inbox for maitreya comes up with nothing. 

Maybe try on this new account

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 8:04 PM, Iskusitelnitsa said:

I haven't released anything yer and I got the kit on my first try. The creator is really nice. The body is also super easy to rig for over the only other alternative Legacy, at least for me. I have no issues rigging for Maitreya.  I can make a similar and highly detailed but optimized  version any outfit that someone wants that's on another body from scratch  and a lot more detailed if anyone is looking for something specific for maitreya.  I have legacy too but I don't use it much and it's not just the hud I dislike.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It’s really not harder at all. I can rig 100s of times to maitreya entirely new clothing with precision that I can wear multiple mesh items with clipping. Especially tights with any heels, any skirts or dresses. It bothers me how people won’t fix some clipping issues I can fix faster than logging into gta 5. 

On 10/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, MullaiHaute said:

Hey! I'm a 3D modeller starting on Second Life, and people avoid making stuff for maitreya because the proccess is harder comparing to the other bodies, the rig is very buggy, and it's very stressful to model for it.. theres no other reason

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.