Name a song you associate with the "dudebro" stereotype.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I gotta say, some of these don't scream dudebro to me. Maybe I'm thinking of dudebro entirely differently. Like...Pitbull's "Hotel Room Service" song, but even cheesier. 😂 These are kinda catchy tunes regardless!

*sings*

🎶Forget about your boyfriend and meet me at the hotel room 

You can bring your girlfriends and meet me at the hotel room 🎶

No?

Ooooh, aspirational misogyny? That works.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

See, now I'm intrigued by this. What about . . .

Or for those who want to rock . . .

Oh...I have stuff that might blow your mind if you wanna talk polar opposite, LOL.

Two artists you need in your life RIGHT NAOW! Immediately. Go. Binge.

1) Sevdaliza - Look up EVERYTHING this woman has EVER done. Her ENTIRE discography - go! Her voice is insane, she's absolutely stunning and talented, and her lyrics are pure poetry (here's a sneak peek - also make sure to watch her music video for her song Human, oh my gooooood):

2) On the rock side, Vernon Jane. You need this, too. Her vocal control when screaming at the top of her lungs is NUTS!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

the polar opposite of this.

See, now I'm intrigued by this. What about . . .

This ain't polar opposite, but could it be dudebro adjacent?

And this is maybe kitty corner?...

ETA: "Drive" is my aspirational song.

I'd have to give up my love of absurdity to live it, so I'll just dream it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

Maybe it is just a UK thing, but I associate Sleaford Mods with dudebros…sort of speak-rapping in a regional UK accent about getting the bus through rough council estates, junk food, dodgy pubs and fights…I don’t know what they’re like now, but this is from 8 years ago and they were the UK group I’d associate most with big crowds of blokes in check shirts getting drunk at their gigs...they became really popular at one point...I did like this one a bit though! (warning: LOTS of swearing...)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Maybe it is just a UK thing, but I associate Sleaford Mods with dudebros…sort of speak-rapping in a regional UK accent about getting the bus through rough council estates, junk food, dodgy pubs and fights…I don’t know what they’re like now, but this is from 8 years ago and they were the UK group I’d associate most with big crowds of blokes in check shirts getting drunk at their gigs...they became really popular at one point...I did like this one a bit though! (warning: LOTS of swearing...)

I'm probably being terribly unfair, but I've also sort of thought The Wombats had a bit of a blokeish energy.

I wonder also about DC Fontaines?

Good band though.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Addendum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I gotta say, some of these don't scream dudebro to me. Maybe I'm thinking of dudebro entirely differently. Like...Pitbull's "Hotel Room Service" song, but even cheesier. 😂 These are kinda catchy tunes regardless!

This was exactly my line of thinking.

Also I forgot how much I begrudgingly like Pitbull songs.

EDIT: Also saw Tech N9ne in Ceka's mashup, and I feel like I'd be missing a joke if I didn't post this

Edited by cariboustag
Missed joke oppurtunity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cariboustag said:

This was exactly my line of thinking.

Also I forgot how much I begrudgingly like Pitbull songs.

Yeah, that's the exact type of song/video that comes to mind when I think about dudebros. Or something more hip-hop/rap inspired. OR, something like that "Tom Hanks" song by Buckwheat Groats (no I will NOT be posting that video here lol - y'all can go look that one up yourselves 😂).

If we're heading in THAT direction, the possibilities are endless, but Gopi wanted rock, so I'm refraining from making those suggestions, lol.

• Like 2

@Scylla Rhiadra Yes! The DC Fontaines video is VERY typical of this! I prefer it to the Wombats though. Who are just awful IMO xD

Also, videos like "Fit But You Know It" by The Streets.

I wonder if it's all based on gender, though...it seems a lot of UK groups want to sing about grim reality, but I think my three favourite UK groups are Felt, Joy Division and Cocteau Twins, who came from bad areas but created their own amazing worlds...

Off topic, but I have weird coincidences going on again...I started a new book earlier where spiders are jumping around, and then saw the Pet Peeves thread :/ And then today I was listening to "Agents of Fortune" by Blue Oyster Cult for the first time, and now you posted Don't Fear The Reaper 😮 I downloaded it because I only knew 'Summer of Love' as a Current 93 song, didn't know it was a cover! 🥴

• Like 1

not sure what you exactly mean by a dudebro as it means different things depending

anyways with trad dudebro then the car is quite often a semi tricked BMW (tricking your mom's car is defo dudebro). Anyways it kinda goes like this.  As the passenger dude says to the driver dude at 0.19. Dude!

the music is typically something like Manic Bloom (which is not a bad band)

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh...I have stuff that might blow your mind if you wanna talk polar opposite, LOL.

Two artists you need in your life RIGHT NAOW! Immediately. Go. Binge.

1) Sevdaliza - Look up EVERYTHING this woman has EVER done. Her ENTIRE discography - go! Her voice is insane, she's absolutely stunning and talented, and her lyrics are pure poetry (here's a sneak peek - also make sure to watch her music video for her song Human, oh my gooooood):

2) On the rock side, Vernon Jane. You need this, too. Her vocal control when screaming at the top of her lungs is NUTS!

Loved the Sevdaliza! And will explore more!

I think I've run across Vernon Jane before . . . you're right, she's got a really interesting voice. I'll need to see more, but a bit Amy Lee-ish, except more interesting?

I also got a bit of a K.Flay vibe from it, but that may just be me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Loved the Sevdaliza! And will explore more!

I think I've run across Vernon Jane before . . . you're right, she's got a really interesting voice. I'll need to see more, but a bit Amy Lee-ish, except more interesting?

I also got a bit of a K.Flay vibe from it, but that may just be me.

Re: Sevdaliza, you will noooot be disappointed. Her album ISON is just incredible. You could start there and branch out after you finish it. It's on Spotify and probably everywhere else. Omg, I just...and if you thought that was studio-enhanced in any way (when I first heard her, I kinda did for a few seconds), check out her performance for Colors (I love Colors - they showcase so many amazing artists!!!)

Re: Vernon Jane/K. Flay, yeees I hear what you're talking about there! It does sound similar in a way. I adore really interesting voices. Another great one to check out (if you haven't already) is Chrysta Bell and her work with David Lynch. I'm obsessed with his music lately.

Omg, maybe we need a new thread for this. Impactful music? Something like that. 😂 I could go on and on and on and on...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.